A task for you

Scottochott

You sound like the master at this STC.......
I love it! Warning though, don't take Essem, she somehow convinces me to spend thousands! Mind you I have ended up with some beautiful bespoke leather jackets and carpets, and loads of fabulous art for the new villa!

Scottochott

Great! thanks guys so do I go left or right? LOL:eek::)
Think we're talking about 2 different places, lol! Just wander everywhere, you'll see it all eventually!

KheeKhee

Think we're talking about 2 different places, lol! Just wander everywhere, you'll see it all eventually!
Will do... but it's your fault if I end up married!:eek: just hope I get that gorgeous leather handbag!;)

Jane BM

I love it! Warning though, don't take Essem, she somehow convinces me to spend thousands! Mind you I have ended up with some beautiful bespoke leather jackets and carpets, and loads of fabulous art for the new villa!
I do like a man who loves to shop....lol

Aslemma

Sometimes I play the game with the shopkeepers but often I simply state my price and stick to it and they usually agree. The first thing to do is to look at them in amazement and say 'la, ghali barcha' - 'no, too expensive'. It also helps that a lot of them know me by now so I just laugh and say, 'Hey, it's me you're talking to!'. Last year I was with a Tunisian friend and after a cup of mint tea , a couple of cigarettes and lot of very polite haggling got a lovely pale green pashmina with silver embroidery for 10 dinar which had started off at 3o! As we left my friend commented "I did tell you she was almost Tunisian!' :) I later saw the same pashmina for 10 dinar elsewhere so I know I paid a fair price.

KheeKhee

Sometimes I play the game with the shopkeepers but often I simply state my price and stick to it and they usually agree. The first thing to do is to look at them in amazement and say 'la, ghali barcha' - 'no, too expensive'. It also helps that a lot of them know me by now so I just laugh and say, 'Hey, it's me you're talking to!'. Last year I was with a Tunisian friend and after a cup of mint tea , a couple of cigarettes and lot of very polite haggling got a lovely pale green pashmina with silver embroidery for 10 dinar which had started off at 3o! As we left my friend commented "I did tell you she was almost Tunisian!' :) I later saw the same pashmina for 10 dinar elsewhere so I know I paid a fair price.
Excellent, well as long as I leave with my lovely handbag and not being fitted for a wedding dress:eek: I don't mind a bit of fun!

Aslemma

Just bear in mind that they do have to make a living but their first price is invariably much inflated in the knowledge that if you can beat them down you will feel you have a bargain. How much of a bargain it actually is may be a moot point, depending on your skills of 'negotiation', but rest assured they won't sell at a loss so both parties should end up satisfied.

Try and pick up a little of the language. There is no need to be fluent but you will find there are three price ranges in Tunisia - one for the locals, one for the tourists and a middle one which I am happy to accept and you are more likely to get if you don't appear to be new to the country. That said, it makes my day on the occasions when I am given the 'local' price. :)

KheeKhee

Just bear in mind that they do have to make a living but their first price is invariably much inflated in the knowledge that if you can beat them down you will feel you have a bargain. How much of a bargain it actually is may be a moot point, depending on your skills of 'negotiation', but rest assured they won't sell at a loss so both parties should end up satisfied.

Try and pick up a little of the language. There is no need to be fluent but you will find there are three price ranges in Tunisia - one for the locals, one for the tourists and a middle one which I am happy to accept and you are more likely to get if you don't appear to be new to the country. That said, it makes my day on the occasions when I am given the 'local' price. :)
Good advice Aslemma...Lol... I understand what you mean, well I am not exactly fluent but I can get by lol, it also helps to have a 'local' in tow, well that's my experience anyways...however if KheeKhee wants a handbag and shoes...sold to......:)

Essem

Staff member
Lol fantastic! thanks. Well yes, last year I bought 2 handbags in the Soula Centre, even then I got a little discount, it was a female customer advisor by the way. I would always be polite, I can turn on the charm if need be lol, I always find I end up being practically engaged to those guys in the souks before I get my handbag!! lol:D:eek:
Flattery will get you everywhere KK!;) Just don't end up marrying one of them!:eek:

KheeKhee

Flattery will get you everywhere KK!;) Just don't end up marrying one of them!:eek:
lol yep as I guessed flattery will get me everywhere lol, I will try not to marry one of them, good gosh he would have a difficult woman on his hands!;)

gabriel612

I must be thinking of a different place! If you enter by Sula centre, go left and follow the medina wall, near the fish market (interesting in it's own right), there is a renovated building in the walls, also showing how it used to be, cafe on the top, and a further viewing tower to climb up a tiny spiral staircase. Great views out to sea
I love the Medina at Sousse but would never go without hubby or a family member. I spent 30 td in April/May this year and got 4 jumpers and 2 pairs of jeans from a sale rail outside a boutique. I have worn and washed them lots and they are all still in shape and kept their colour.

The haberdashery shops are fantastic, you can buy anything and really cheap. The materials are beautiful. I came home with lots of crochet thread and hooks, needles and beads of all descriptions. One thing I couldn't find was a Tunisian crochet hook:(

I agree not a lot to see at the Catacombs, but found the reading interesting and there were a few encased skeletons and bones.

I saw Dar Essid when I was there last, I was sat outside a cafe near where the men wash before going to the mosque, I told hubby there was a roof top cafe where you had good views of Sousse but he said he didn't know of it, we had a look around but couldn't find it, he asked near by and no one seemed to know:confused:

Kantaoui zoo is a good place to visit, they have some unusual and exotic fowl, one white one looked like a walking feather duster, even its feet was covered in white fluffy feathers, soooooooo cute. I kissed a baby camel too...lol.

For scenery my favourite place is Korbus and the thermal springs. Breath taking views as you descend the winding road into Korbus and the beautiful bright blue med.

Jane BM

I love the Medina at Sousse but would never go without hubby or a family member. I spent 30 td in April/May this year and got 4 jumpers and 2 pairs of jeans from a sale rail outside a boutique. I have worn and washed them lots and they are all still in shape and kept their colour.

The haberdashery shops are fantastic, you can buy anything and really cheap. The materials are beautiful. I came home with lots of crochet thread and hooks, needles and beads of all descriptions. One thing I couldn't find was a Tunisian crochet hook:(

I agree not a lot to see at the Catacombs, but found the reading interesting and there were a few encased skeletons and bones.

I saw Dar Essid when I was there last, I was sat outside a cafe near where the men wash before going to the mosque, I told hubby there was a roof top cafe where you had good views of Sousse but he said he didn't know of it, we had a look around but couldn't find it, he asked near by and no one seemed to know:confused:

Kantaoui zoo is a good place to visit, they have some unusual and exotic fowl, one white one looked like a walking feather duster, even its feet was covered in white fluffy feathers, soooooooo cute. I kissed a baby camel too...lol.

For scenery my favourite place is Korbus and the thermal springs. Breath taking views as you descend the winding road into Korbus and the beautiful bright blue med.
You make everywhere sound wonderful Gabriel.....have a way with words....maybe you should think about putting pen to paper describing the places for people to go to...and accompany them with your fab pictures......

Aslemma

The cafe is actually at the top of the Dar Essid Gabriel. I didn't see anything in the way of food when I was there and the owner brings your drink up the long stone staircase so I would guess that somewhat limits what he can manage. There are only a few tables but you certainly get a great view.

If you are talking about the zoo I've seen in PEK, just near the marina, I've passed it many times but never been in as it didn't look paticularly inviting. I'll make a point of visiting next time as it's cheap as chips anyway. I must admit camels aren't my favourite aninals as I fell off one in Australia many years ago. :D I went on one when I did the Sahara trip with Saphir Voyages and even then I kept feeling I was slipping. Incidentally did you know that camels were instrumental in opening up Australia? Unfortunately the man who introduced them to Australia died of gangrene when one of the bad-tempered beasts bit his arm off. :eek:

KheeKhee

The cafe is actually at the top of the Dar Essid Gabriel. I didn't see anything in the way of food when I was there and the owner brings your drink up the long stone staircase so I would guess that somewhat limits what he can manage. There only a few tables but you certainly get a great view.

If you are talking about the zoo I've seen in PEK, just near the marina, I've passed it many times but never been in as it didn't look paticularly inviting. I'll make a point of visiting next time as it's cheap as chips anyway. I must admit camels aren't my favourite aninals as I fell off one in Australia many years ago. :D I went on one when I did the Sahara trip with Saphir Voyages and even then I kept feeling I was slipping. Incidentally did you know that camels were instrumental in opening up Australia? Unfortunately the man who introduced them to Australia died of gangrene when one of the bad-tempered beasts bit his arm off. :eek:
seems I don't exist Gabriel, the Canadian?

Aslemma

I do not know how to insert the post to which I am replying into a new post KheeKhee other than by copying and pasting like this "seems I don't exist Gabriel, the Canadian?" but I, and I presume others, were responding to a post from Gabriel612, posted today at 7.44 PM and I have no idea of her nationality. I will never get my head around having to copy the whole post to which I am replying as I thought it should be clear. You certainly do exist and I sincerely hope that I have never implied otherwise or treated you with less than the utmost respect.

Essem

Staff member
Lots of pix of Kantaoui Zoo on tunisia.com's facebook pages.

Aslemma

Thanks Essem. I'll check the pictures out soon but have already spent far too long on the computer today. :rolleyes:

gabriel612

The cafe is actually at the top of the Dar Essid Gabriel. I didn't see anything in the way of food when I was there and the owner brings your drink up the long stone staircase so I would guess that somewhat limits what he can manage. There are only a few tables but you certainly get a great view.

Yes that is the zoo Aslemma.It doesn't look too inviting but I was surprised when we went in, quite a lot to see. I just loved the rabbits and guinea pigs with their tables and chairs, so funny to see them eating on top of the tables. You can view these from outside.

Aslemma

OK Gabriel, you've sold it to me! I'll certainly have a look round next time I'm out there. :)

annibee

the big zoo is good think they call it feuigla park not far on train from sousse