Adopting a Little Tunisian

KB72

I was reading online tonight at work about Tunisian orphanages. I think it is so sad to hear of these children stuck there one day like to change hopefully at least one child's life.
I know of 3 orphanges, Mahres, Siliana, and Gammarth. I am just curious as to whether anyone has adopted from there, or has had any thoughts of doing so?

http://www.soschildrensvillages.org...rica/tunisia?gclid=CNLZ-9Xh8bcCFfDMtAodekUA9w

If I lived over there I would most certainly volunteer as opposed to staying in. I am now wondering whether to drag the hefty amount of baby clothes I have over there and make some good use out of them.

Jane BM

I was reading online tonight at work about Tunisian orphanages. I think it is so sad to hear of these children stuck there one day like to change hopefully at least one child's life.
I know of 3 orphanges, Mahres, Siliana, and Gammarth. I am just curious as to whether anyone has adopted from there, or has had any thoughts of doing so?

http://www.soschildrensvillages.org...rica/tunisia?gclid=CNLZ-9Xh8bcCFfDMtAodekUA9w

If I lived over there I would most certainly volunteer as opposed to staying in. I am now wondering whether to drag the hefty amount of baby clothes I have over there and make some good use out of them.
Great idea KB72 to make use of those unwanted baby clothes.

Best person to speak to here about doing that is Roulla, I know that she's done this often..taking stuff and visiting the SOS children's orphanage.

Essem

Staff member

There is also a 4th SOS Children's Village in Akouda not far from me - pix on here and also on our tunisia.com FB pages. When I took Roulla and Gem there, they were really impressed by the Village.

Children between the ages of 3 months and 9 years live there - there are 14 houses each with a 'Mamman' who looks after 8 children. These children are extremely well looked after, have the very best of care and lots of love. Older children (9+) go on to live with a Grandmother.

They don't encourage adoption (lots of legalities about foreigners adopting) and they like to try to keep as much contact between children and any family they might have.

Any donations whether clothes, food, money etc are welcomed and if they can't be used at the village, they are distributed to poorer families in all areas.

However , there are other orphanages around that don't have the same facilities.

Our member, Janette, is a big supporter of SOS and can give you lots more information.

janette

There is also a 4th SOS Children's Village in Akouda not far from me - pix on here and also on our tunisia.com FB pages. When I took Roulla and Gem there, they were really impressed by the Village.

Children between the ages of 3 months and 9 years live there - there are 14 houses each with a 'Mamman' who looks after 8 children. These children are extremely well looked after, have the very best of care and lots of love. Older children (9+) go on to live with a Grandmother.

They don't encourage adoption (lots of legalities about foreigners adopting) and they like to try to keep as much contact between children and any family they might have.

Any donations whether clothes, food, money etc are welcomed and if they can't be used at the village, they are distributed to poorer families in all areas.

However , there are other orphanages around that don't have the same facilities.

Our member, Janette, is a big supporter of SOS and can give you lots more information.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any further details -- there are many ways that you can help both SOS Orphanages both on a monthly or more casual basis. All help is appreciated. You may PM me if you prefer. many thanks.

Thats a great idea and a lovely thought.

Many charity shops sell baby clothes here in uk cost peanuts to us but to little orphans its a god send.

I would love to get involved in something like this but i cant afford to buy new.

Brings a tear to my eye cause i lost my little baby at 7 weeks many years ago and i dont think i can have any more.

Jane BM

Thats a great idea and a lovely thought.

Many charity shops sell baby clothes here in uk cost peanuts to us but to little orphans its a god send.

I would love to get involved in something like this but i cant afford to buy new.

Brings a tear to my eye cause i lost my little baby at 7 weeks many years ago and i dont think i can have any more.
That's a lovely idea and the quality of the clothes you can buy here in charity shops is fine as they tend to recycle the not so good stuff. Car boot sales is another place where a lot of people sell their children's clothes that they've simply outgrown...

Very sorry for your loss Sakina..xx

J

Jamie Goodland

I work as Website Editor for SOS Children in Cambridge, UK and I came across this thread while preparing to update our Tunisia page (the one Kelly mentions at http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/sponsor-a-child/africa/tunisia).

It's fascinating to read your conversation about our work, especially what Essem says about life in the Village. Quite surreal to see you talking about something so abstracted from life up here in the UK!

I just wondered if there are any particularly pertinent development issues you think I should include in the update. You can take a look at the new page format if you'd like some context: http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/sponsor-a-child/africa/togo. Anyway, I'll post back here when I've refreshed the page.

So sorry to hear of your loss, Sakina.

Jamie

ROULLA

I work as Website Editor for SOS Children in Cambridge, UK and I came across this thread while preparing to update our Tunisia page (the one Kelly mentions at http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/sponsor-a-child/africa/tunisia).

It's fascinating to read your conversation about our work, especially what Essem says about life in the Village. Quite surreal to see you talking about something so abstracted from life up here in the UK!

I just wondered if there are any particularly pertinent development issues you think I should include in the update. You can take a look at the new page format if you'd like some context: http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/sponsor-a-child/africa/togo. Anyway, I'll post back here when I've refreshed the page.

Jamie

Hi Jamie and welcome to the forum! Just had a look and it is the SOS in Togo , what the SOS do is a wonderful thing.
Its a pitty that people in general only know of the orphanages that are run by the SOS, the one that I go to is not run by the SOS but could do with alot of help.
The SOS in Akouda is a palace compared to the one in Nabeul but I still like going there as they are so grateful for anything.

Essem

Staff member

Jamie
You can also view may pix/album taken at SOS Akouda on our FB pages

Hi,
We are looking into adopting a child from Tunisia. We live in the US and I have searched a lot but cannot find a good resource or information.
We will be starting our home study here soon and so I want to be able to have some information and contact in Tunisia in the meantime. I have searched for adoption lawyers but did not find many.
Also cannot find any orphanage or children facility that I can contact to find out how to go about it.
We are going to be doing independent adoption, we will get an attorney here in US but we need some resource in Tunisia as well that is trustworthy.

If anyone can provide any kind of help, I will appreciate very much.
Thanks

First of Tunisia was not the only country on our list. Pakistan, India, Morocco was also there but those have been cancelled for other reasons.

There is no diversity in both of our families and after doing a lot of reading, we decided that we want to adopt a child that looks not too different from us. It is not going to be difficult for us as adults but this is specifically for the child's welfare and belonging.

Again I will appreciate any help.
Thanks

DARK ANGEL

I don't think that easy for you to adopt a Tunisian child , the first objection is the religion !

We are muslim and know that in Islam there is guardianship and not adoption in the US sense. I also know that Morocco and Pakistan (muslim countries) also do not grant regular adoption but guardianship and people have adopted from those 2 countries.
So we should be able to get guardianship of a child from Tunisia. I did not read anywhere that Tunisia requires citizenship/residency for adoption so we should be able to.

DARK ANGEL

I just make some search , i find that there is no article talking about the nationality of the couple that want to adopt a child , they required that couple must be able to support the child , must be older than him 15 years this is the minimum condition, they are safe + good health! I advice u to check more informations , u must rely on lawyer , they know more about this kind of case !

rabah

We are muslim and know that in Islam there is guardianship and not adoption in the US sense. I also know that Morocco and Pakistan (muslim countries) also do not grant regular adoption but guardianship and people have adopted from those 2 countries.
So we should be able to get guardianship of a child from Tunisia. I did not read anywhere that Tunisia requires citizenship/residency for adoption so we should be able to.
Try contacting the Tunisian Embassy in D.C and ask them for any documentation they may have on the process.
http://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy17643/

Essem

Staff member
Adoption is not easy here. One French woman adopted when she was married to a Tunisian but when the marriage ended, the child had to leave her home.

For information you could contact Mr Imed Labbane of SOS Children's Village in Akouda - 00 216 308 318 - but he once told me that they really don't believe in foreigners adopting or adoption as a general rule. Their village don't arrange adoptions but he might be able to point you in another direction. Things may have changed.

missmetal

We've been thinking of adoption too, but seems too much of a hassle over there.

ROULLA

Hi,
We are looking into adopting a child from Tunisia. We live in the US and I have searched a lot but cannot find a good resource or information.
We will be starting our home study here soon and so I want to be able to have some information and contact in Tunisia in the meantime. I have searched for adoption lawyers but did not find many.
Also cannot find any orphanage or children facility that I can contact to find out how to go about it.
We are going to be doing independent adoption, we will get an attorney here in US but we need some resource in Tunisia as well that is trustworthy.

If anyone can provide any kind of help, I will appreciate very much.
Thanks
Hi Sso and welcome to the forum!

Here is a list of some children's homes in Tunisia
http://www.sos-childrensvillages.org/where-we-help/africa/tunisia

Are you planning on adopting a child and taking the child out Tunisia ?

I think that you or your husband have to be Tunisian to adopt a child,I doubt that I am wrong.
Good luck and let us know.