Any Australians married to tunisians?

lou

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are any aussies that have married their tunisian partners in tunisia and if so what documents you needed? Also if anyone has or is applying for a partner/spouse visa for aus? I know Dolly was in the process and our lovely governnment were being quite difficult. Any experiences people can share with me would be great.

Stelabelle

Gosh Lou, we Brits moan about not seeing our hubbies etc enough... how on earth do you cope being down in Oz?!

I am sure there are a couple of Aussies on here somewhere... sorry I can't be any help really!

Estelle xx

MahboulaGirl

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are any aussies that have married their tunisian partners in tunisia and if so what documents you needed? Also if anyone has or is applying for a partner/spouse visa for aus? I know Dolly was in the process and our lovely governnment were being quite difficult. Any experiences people can share with me would be great.
Hi Lou,
I'm from Aussie and got married last year in November. You will need the following documents as stated below;

- Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Non-Impediment (from the Dept of Foreign Affairs)
- Divorce Certificate (If previously married and divorced)
- Change of Name Certificate (if you ever happened to change your name via deed poll)

NOTE: All documents must be less than 3 weeks old.

These documents must be translated into Arabic (based on my experience). A good idea is to scan the documents (once you have them), send them via email to your fiance so he can go and translate the documents. This will save time on your part. You will then have to show the originals at your partner's local ministry when they organise the marriage contract for you.

Before the signing of the contract, you will also have to do a blood test with your partner. This is a requirement.

I've also in the process of applying for the Spouse Visa and have actually finished my part which took bloody 2 months! I will tell you. Aussie govt are so picky! My migration agent is just writing up a case summary and will hopefully send it off later this week! Now an average of 6 months to wait. Thank god for that because it had to be one of the biggest projects of my life! :eek:

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anymore help.

MG ;)

aussiechick

Another Aussie

Hi Lou and others. Also I am an Aussie and should have posted before. My boyfriend and I plan to marry in September and I appreciate the post from Mahboula girl with all the details of the documentation. None of my Australian family (as far as I know) will be able to attend the wedding, so is it correct that also I have to fill in some form to state that I have no family members to be my witnesses...and therefore can have some from Tunisia? I will ask my boyfriend to ask the wilaya.

Do I have to have some one like a guardian?

Is it bad etiquette to post a question here on someone elses......sorry. Because I am Aussie, thought it may be good to keep the topic together.

Am sure its worth it in the end and the other posters from UK and other places that I have read about have had lovely wedding days...and I have read good stories...but aaaarrrrggghhh...the organisational process is really overwhelming.

Can the booking of the wilaya official/room only occur after the Certificate of No Impediment is recieved by the Tunisian wilaya...together with the other Certificates? I need to book my flights quite soon, but how do I know we can get the date we want, as I am only staying for 30 days.

Then to try to get him to Australia! Sounds like a migration agent is helpful and I was expecting it would take some time. one more question, does my boyfriend actually have to physically go to Egypt after our marriage, inchallah to apply to come to Australia?

Or can I return to Australia then apply for him to join me here on the spouse visa without him going to Egypt. Thanks for your patience. Today I got the dress, but I feel overwhelmed. I was expecting it to be complicated with the Australian government..or at least not quick. He is expecting to be able to marry me, then go straight away with me via Egypt but I do not think that is possible.:confused:
I did tell him it was a process and other people I have heard of have taken at least months. Good luck to anyone else in a similar situation. I love this site and sorry I have not posted sooner. also really am not good at this kind of forum. I will probably make mistakes....so hope you can cope! :)

mand3366

Hi Aussiechick,

Try reading the following link, I have just had a quick look and it all seems quite straightforward to me. I wouldn't bother appointing a Migration Agent, all of it can be done yourself.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

You most definitely DON'T have to travel to Egypt, all the applications are dealt with via post.

M x

aussiechick

Thanks

Hi Mand3366,
Thanks for guiding me to the link. So HE does not have to travel to Egypt? That would be one less thing to worry about!:)
I will look at the link you have directed me to. Yes the general impression I got was that it was possible to do it all yourself, re the Aussie visa thing. Will check it out.

Cheers from aussiechick

Aussiegal

hi aussiechick i too am from aus and got married July last year to my tunisian I applied for my hubby to have a hol visa and like dolly was regected within a day of each other so will now start the process for perm visa as it seems to be the only way aus will let us be together sucks really because i wanted my kids to meet him before he moved but sorry our gov in their wisdom think that is not a normal thing (sorry still a little bitter) so i went to tunisia again instead nearly 5 months apart killed me.
I did not have any family with me at my wedding either much the shame but there you go and it was nice his family came and we had the 2 male tunisian witnesses no trouble i dont think there was a thing to sign about no family but then as f says i am an older god it is only 3 1/2 years the man has rocks in his head lol i dont think 36 is all that old how old are you?
and yes you just apply from here Rio has just put her application in 2 weeks ago maybe get onto her and ask about it she will be sending me the details as well so we can all have a look at that.
i have no trouble giving you my email addy is you want at all and you can ask more then if you like

aussiechick

how is it going with you, Lou?

Hi everyone,

Hi Lou,
How is everything going with you?
Cheers from aussiechick

aussiechick

Its good to know other's stories....

hi aussiechick i too am from aus and got married July last year to my tunisian I applied for my hubby to have a hol visa and like dolly was regected within a day of each other so will now start the process for perm visa as it seems to be the only way aus will let us be together sucks really because i wanted my kids to meet him before he moved but sorry our gov in their wisdom think that is not a normal thing (sorry still a little bitter) so i went to tunisia again instead nearly 5 months apart killed me.
I did not have any family with me at my wedding either much the shame but there you go and it was nice his family came and we had the 2 male tunisian witnesses no trouble i dont think there was a thing to sign about no family but then as f says i am an older god it is only 3 1/2 years the man has rocks in his head lol i dont think 36 is all that old how old are you?
and yes you just apply from here Rio has just put her application in 2 weeks ago maybe get onto her and ask about it she will be sending me the details as well so we can all have a look at that.
i have no trouble giving you my email addy is you want at all and you can ask more then if you like
Hi Aussilegal,
Oh I am sorry you got rejected for a hol visa for your Tunisian. Crazy, why would you not want him to meet your loved ones. Yes I understand you would be bitter. And the same thing happened to Dolly? Whether any more sucess would occur if a Tunisian man applied for working visa in that situation, to go for working holiday.We have not seen each other since February, so full empathy from me for being apart for 5 months. Mine claims he will die if I do not come out sooner but I can not come before the wedding because of the cost of flights. I know how he feels. Oh, so the thing I sign about no family is at the wilaya. But I have to get 2 witnesses. Congratulations on your wedding.Ok so you got married, applied for him to get hol visa, got rejected, then you returned to Tunisia and now you are applying for him to come on the partner visa/settlement visa. How long were you in Tunisia the second time. I will add you as friend then you can see my email address..is that how its done? Now my Tunisian bonne home tells me the Wilaya gives him and me an interview before marriage. I hope our relationship passes their scrutiny. Is the first time I have heard of interview before the marriage. Now I wonder should I fly to visit, return then plan to marry at a later date. He will die, then from waiting. We met in January in real life and online in August but it was not a romance. We had 26 days together and I stayed at his house, met all his family. He proposed, I said yes. We fell in love. Is there a chance the wilaya will say we have not known each other long enough? We speak online everyday. Only reason I did not come again and sooner is the expense and saving for marriage and our future.It would be heartbreaking to come for marriage and be told they do not think our relationship is long enough. Islamic countries like marriage cos it makes it halal?????
Bonne chance with your application Aussielegal and thanks :)

Aussiegal

hey aussiechick well i know i never had an interview to get married we just got all the stuff translated palmed a hand or two and 3 days after my arrival we got married nice and easy lol. This was actually the 3rd time i had been it would have been so much easier for us if given the hol visa then we could have saved while he was here well that was the plan anyway. I am afraid i think working visa is out because it is listed on the website as africa being out although they can get a sponsored working visa from what i have heard from a friend who knows employers who do this with South Africans i have her on the look out for ones looking who knows may be able to do it that way then do his perm if he can do that while he is here would be easier i would think well maybe oh ok who am i kidding it is never going to be easy or easier.
This time i just came back from 5 1/2 weeks the 2nd time was 6 weeks and the first time was 3 1/2 yeah i know sounds lots but i am casual and i work and work save and save then scrimp while there it works for me lol just so i can be with him problem is then i get used to him in my bed and miss just even the noises he makes in his sleep
i have put my email on for you because i only accept ones i know so it is fine just let me know

aussiechick

hello Aussielegal,
Thanks. You never had an interview..he said we would but I just need to wait and see. My main concern is if the authorities do not think our relationship is long enough. How long is a piece of string?
OK, so only sponsored work and the visa that would be applied for is a possiblility, thanks for telling me that. There is of course the seasonal harvest trail but I did not know that Africa was excluded. Yes maybe yours will be able to get sponsored. You have to look at the options. Shame about the tourist visa thing. I never thought it would be easy. I think he thinks it might be.......
26 days seemed like a lot to me, plus I spend most of the time when he was at work hanging out with his family and even helping and became part of the family. I hope it does not matter if I have only came to visit once. Good luck!!!!!!! You will be happy when it is all finished........

MellieC

Hi Mand3366,
Thanks for guiding me to the link. So HE does not have to travel to Egypt? That would be one less thing to worry about!:)
I will look at the link you have directed me to. Yes the general impression I got was that it was possible to do it all yourself, re the Aussie visa thing. Will check it out.

Cheers from aussiechick
hun the documents needed to be married in tunisia ~ foreigner to tunisian are the same wherever you are from, as are the pre marriage formalities, (blood tests) it onlyu takes a couple of days to actually arrange the actual date. you would need to check with the wedding venue if it is available on what dates and work around that.
NO you do not need any document to say you have no family with you or a guardian or anything like that, it is normal ~ legal requirement~ to have 2 male tunisians (over the age of 20 years) as witnesses.

spousal applications are usually processed in Egypt initially for some silly reason but the application is made in tunisia.

MellieC

Aussie chick ~ I have said this to the brit girls ~ it allplies equally to you, and to anyone,/everyone getting married in tunisia to a tunisian ~ If he is a man not a pathetic boy tell him to get off his arse and sort out the details ~ is he not part of the wedding? the marraige?

HE is in tunisia ~ its a lot easier for him to go sort details, go ask at the municipality etc.

you (general) have enough to think about with the flight and the costs!

when we got married ~ i arrived on a sunday (xmas day) the embassy was closed for xmas and boxing day on the mon and tues ~ we went to tunis on the weds and got the CONI, on the way back we stopped off at a Drs and had the blood tests, on the thurs we booked the marriage for the Saturday ~ new years eve.

it can be done in a couple of days ~ there is no real forward planning like we have for traditional weddings in the UK or OZ or anywhere else ~ its as quick as you want it to be.

MellieC

hello Aussielegal,
Thanks. You never had an interview..he said we would but I just need to wait and see. My main concern is if the authorities do not think our relationship is long enough. How long is a piece of string?
OK, so only sponsored work and the visa that would be applied for is a possiblility, thanks for telling me that. There is of course the seasonal harvest trail but I did not know that Africa was excluded. Yes maybe yours will be able to get sponsored. You have to look at the options. Shame about the tourist visa thing. I never thought it would be easy. I think he thinks it might be.......
26 days seemed like a lot to me, plus I spend most of the time when he was at work hanging out with his family and even helping and became part of the family. I hope it does not matter if I have only came to visit once. Good luck!!!!!!! You will be happy when it is all finished........
hun, I am wondering if y9our guy is getting his info from a "friend" ~ never a good idea, uusally an idiot! or his translation to y09ou isn't that clear?
there is no interview, you take your translated documents for them to see that they are all there and arrange the date ~ how long you have been together is not a concern to the tunisian authorities.

It may or may not be to the OZ authorities, as will "internet" meetings but you have spent time with him prior to marriage and thats what they will be looking for

aussiechick

thanks mel

hun, I am wondering if y9our guy is getting his info from a "friend" ~ never a good idea, uusally an idiot! or his translation to y09ou isn't that clear?
there is no interview, you take your translated documents for them to see that they are all there and arrange the date ~ how long you have been together is not a concern to the tunisian authorities.

It may or may not be to the OZ authorities, as will "internet" meetings but you have spent time with him prior to marriage and thats what they will be looking for
hi Mel,
oh of course, a friend could be telling him this. I could have emailed the wilaya...lol. And you are right things do get lost in translation. thanks for telliing me that the Tunisian authorities will not be concerned with how long we are together. If Australia don't let us be together...there is always Tunisia.

cheers and shukran from aussiechick:)

aussiechick

True words

Aussie chick ~ I have said this to the brit girls ~ it allplies equally to you, and to anyone,/everyone getting married in tunisia to a tunisian ~ If he is a man not a pathetic boy tell him to get off his arse and sort out the details ~ is he not part of the wedding? the marraige?

HE is in tunisia ~ its a lot easier for him to go sort details, go ask at the municipality etc.

when we got married ~ i arrived on a sunday (xmas day) the embassy was closed for xmas and boxing day on the mon and tues ~ we went to tunis on the weds and got the CONI, on the way back we stopped off at a Drs and had the blood tests, on the thurs we booked the marriage for the Saturday ~ new years eve.

wow mel, your process was all done quite amazingly and what a time of year to have it done! Yes he has found out information of course by going to the wilaya....probably some of it gets lost in translation. He told me not to worry, I just want to know all the details and sometimes on forums there is conflicting advice, such as for the
certificate of no impediment. he swears all my documents will be ok even if 3 months old.
I will only have so long to do it all, so its good it does not need much forward planning....

thanks again
Aussiechick

L

Lissy

He told me not to worry, I just want to know all the details and sometimes on forums there is conflicting advice, such as for the certificate of no impediment. he swears all my documents will be ok even if 3 months old.
I will only have so long to do it all, so its good it does not need much forward planning....

thanks again
Aussiechick
I got married in Hammam Sousse and my Birth Certificate had to be 20 days old or less. Make sure that your partner checks this out as 3 months seems unlikely to me. The CONI is valid for 3 months but the BC is time sensitive.

MellieC

wow mel, your process was all done quite amazingly and what a time of year to have it done! Yes he has found out information of course by going to the wilaya....probably some of it gets lost in translation. He told me not to worry, I just want to know all the details and sometimes on forums there is conflicting advice, such as for the
certificate of no impediment. he swears all my documents will be ok even if 3 months old.

thanks again
Aussiechick
hun, i specifically stated when i arrived etc so that you would see that in reality it was all done in a day! LOL 2 days is fine if yo are organised???? most of us are not ~ i told hubby we wold go to the embassy on the wednesday morning ~ and that he should have blood tests arranged for the wednesday afternoon and translations on the thursday lol

it would be good advice if you contact the aussie embassy in tunis ~the consular division as they will issue the CONI ~ and check with them if you need an appointment, i did this with the british embassy and told them i would arrive there about 10am and would they have someone ready please ~ more cheek than an elephants ass me lol but they did LOL I do know that some people have had to return the following day to collect the CONI.

also forgive me if your CONI has another name, i tend to think of Brits and Aussies as being the same ~ its a natural affinity thing to me same as I have with canadians!!!! (keep the union jack on your flag lol)
the CONI and Birth Certificate need to be dated within about 21 days now, although it used to be 3 months ~ this may seem strange ~ but on tunisian birth certs when they marry their birth certs are updated to show the date time and name of spouse (divorces are also on there ~ well they are supposed to be ~ thats another thread lol) Brit birth certs do not hold such info, only you know if aussie ones have anything added to them?
this is the reason for a recent copy of your birth cert, as theirs (tunes) are updated, so yours has to be recent even though it probably has nothing but birth details on it!!!!

I don't know how the system works in OZ, i would appreciate your telling me?
in the UK you go to the registrar and notify them of y9our intetion to be married OVERSEAS in tunisia ~ this notice is then "posted" in the registrars office for 21 (or 28?) days ~ AFTER this time you can collect the notice signed by the registar to say that it has been posted and there is NO LAWFUL IMPEDIMENT as to why y9ou cannot marry.

the Embassy then produces the CERTIFICATE OF NO IMPEDIMENT (CONI)
in french (usually) as your documents have to be in either french or arabic, don't get them done in OZ, the tunes only seem to recognise (or beleive???) those that are translated in tunisia, all major towns have translation services once you have these (again this could take 2 days) and the blood test results (on the spot usually) then you approach the mnicipality to choose the date, if you are having a big wedding at a salon, then check whats available with them and work with that at the municipality.

hope that clarifies for you what you are doing and why.

MellieC

I got married in Hammam Sousse and my Birth Certificate had to be 20 days old or less. Make sure that your partner checks this out as 3 months seems unlikely to me. The CONI is valid for 3 months but the BC is time sensitive.
i think a "freind" has been telling him ~ cos its about 21 days now?

will be glad when you get here ~ this laptop is cabbaging my head now!!!!!!

lissys list:
pg tips
netbook

LOL

Dolly

Hi all - I'm Aussie and I live in here in Tune with my Tune LOL!! My CONI came from Aus embassy in Jordan - not a problem, quick and easy. We had blood tests done in Jordan but had them verified by doctor in Tune. I had my original birth certificate, original marriage docs, divorce docs. Got them translated into Arabic in Jordan. We came to Tune, and my BIL knew a notaire who could marry us in the home of BIL. We arrived on 6th and married on the 12th. There were no conditions in relation to how old anything was..................so there you go. We needed our passports, my husband needed his original birth certificate and carte d'identitie - It was quick and very simple. I'll give you some information on the visa questions separately. By the way - do any of you think of coming to live in Tunisia?? Might help you with understanding culture, mindset, country, way of life and how hard it can be for a normal family here???? Believe me most of the people I know would have huge difficulties settling into Australian life.