Any Australians married to tunisians?

Jane BM

Was your husband already living in Italy then when you married? I'm presuming that's where you're also living permanently right now then...

I think all the Border Agencies seem to be tightening up on Immigration now though...it's the same here in the UK...it's notoriously difficult to even get a Visitors visa, never mind a settlement visa..

Newby13

Was your husband already living in Italy then when you married? I'm presuming that's where you're also living permanently right now then...

I think all the Border Agencies seem to be tightening up on Immigration now though...it's the same here in the UK...it's notoriously difficult to even get a Visitors visa, never mind a settlement visa..
He's had residency here for a year. We married a month ago in Italy. I am living here but still have commitments in aus. I would like to travel with my husband. It's not that he wants to stay in Australia (it's too far from his family) but I have to make my country accessible to him whenever we want to go there. I'm not permanent in Italy at this point. We do own some land in tunisia though.

Jane BM

I don't know how residency goes for Tunisians in Italy...is that still like a 'halfway house'? I know you said you were applying for a spouse visa for him...is that for Italy? Would you be more successful applying for his visitors visa for Australia once he gets permanent residency in Italy?

Newby13

I don't know how residency goes for Tunisians in Italy...is that still like a 'halfway house'? I know you said you were applying for a spouse visa for him...is that for Italy? Would you be more successful applying for his visitors visa for Australia once he gets permanent residency in Italy?
He Italy bit doesn't seem too difficult, we just got an accountant to put the paperwork together. Our problem came when we applied for a short visit visa for aus and they knocked it back without following process - now he has a knock back to contend with on any other application. They placed no importance on the Italian residency last application and all applications have to go through Germany (from Europe). The MARA said we need to use Berlin again because Cairo will be automatic 'no'. The spouse visa is for aus. I felt having an agent was the way to go but she said it still won't happen quickly - maybe by year end. It's all pretty average