Any bad experiences..

ROULLA

Hi Guys hope that you are all in good health! I was just wondering if any of you have had any bad experiences with any hotels that you had been too...
I went to see a friend of my'n who was staying at the Marhaba palace 2 weeks ago and although i must say that the hotel is really nice i found a few things out of place ..For example my friend asked me to change some money up for her as she said that they had been conning her, so i said " go and do it and lets see what happens" i was watching her walk in the process to the counter, a minute later she comes back with 100 tnd and i think that it was 635 milimmes, anyway i walked up to the counter and asked the man in arabic what this was, his reply was that they never had any change and also asked me was i hungry for money..I shouted at him and told him that he should be ashamed of himself as it was ramadan and that yes i did want the extra 6 tnd, he handed it to me...Another lady there had travellers cheque for 100 GBP, he gave her 200 Tnd when i knew that he should of given her 213 TND and so many milimmes... The other thing was that she had told me was that someone not the maids had taken some of her belongings..I would have hit the roof but she did not want any trouble..I left the hotel at 7pm and asked her to meet me later, i paid 4 Tnd for my taxi, she paid 8 Tnd and that was times two as she had a big family...I think that this experience for her was enough...

MellieC

i have known people fleeced badly by taxis. as for hotels, never stay in them, did visit a freind at the FOURATI in Hammamet South, what a dirty tacky place! does't look like that on TV! would not be able to bring myself to recommend that one!

i think everyone needs to know the rates of exchange and check their change moreso than they would in uk shopping lol

ROULLA

Hi Mellie c hope that you and your family are all in good health! Looks can be very deceiving, maybe you should comment on trip adviser about that hotel..

N

nela

yes we had a bad experience of hotel staff nonstop disturbing us when we wanted to be alone...knock knock on the door and me shouting NOOOTTTT NOOWWWW!!!!!!!!!

Mezoo

VIP Member
on the street

Hi Guys hope that you are all in good health! I was just wondering if any of you have had any bad experiences with any hotels that you had been too...
I went to see a friend of my'n who was staying at the Marhaba palace 2 weeks ago and although i must say that the hotel is really nice i found a few things out of place ..For example my friend asked me to change some money up for her as she said that they had been conning her, so i said " go and do it and lets see what happens" i was watching her walk in the process to the counter, a minute later she comes back with 100 tnd and i think that it was 635 milimmes, anyway i walked up to the counter and asked the man in arabic what this was, his reply was that they never had any change and also asked me was i hungry for money..I shouted at him and told him that he should be ashamed of himself as it was ramadan and that yes i did want the extra 6 tnd, he handed it to me...Another lady there had travellers cheque for 100 GBP, he gave her 200 Tnd when i knew that he should of given her 213 TND and so many milimmes... The other thing was that she had told me was that someone not the maids had taken some of her belongings..I would have hit the roof but she did not want any trouble..I left the hotel at 7pm and asked her to meet me later, i paid 4 Tnd for my taxi, she paid 8 Tnd and that was times two as she had a big family...I think that this experience for her was enough...
mind you i'm not saying this happens, but can anyone tell me when this will happen ?

all i think, that in life, it's buyer beware, anyplace, in the WHOLE world.

this is terrible what you saw and especially when a person loves tunisia as we all do it's shameful. i would have been too much furious and even demanding somebodies job. as im the client (or the tunisian friend of the client)(im half tunisian ya know :rolleyes: ). this sounds like a systematic operation and attention should be brought up very high in that organization.

but, then again, anybody who takes off on an international trip in the year 2009, and does not look at the exchange rate for their destination, is setting themselves up.

i can say that ive not been taken in this manner, anyplace in tunisia. not in hotels or banks, well maybe on the street, a little bit. :eek:

sianperkins89

hi roulla, i had that happen to me, well not at the same amount, but at a taxiphone place we changed some english money into dinars and they gave us the amount to the nearest dinar and decided not to hand over the millimes althought the amount was clearly shown on the board, its quite rude really to just assume that you dont want or need the extra few dinars etc and that they should be kept as a tip or something.

janette b

the money exchange at mnastir airport- when you are returning to uk is terrible- they really rip you off if you dont question it.. and if yo do they say 3% commision but if you work out 3% they are charging more like 18%...so i had to shout ot loud so everyone else in the queue checked their cash aswell.....

ROULLA

hi roulla, i had that happen to me, well not at the same amount, but at a taxiphone place we changed some english money into dinars and they gave us the amount to the nearest dinar and decided not to hand over the millimes althought the amount was clearly shown on the board, its quite rude really to just assume that you dont want or need the extra few dinars etc and that they should be kept as a tip or something.
Hi Sianperkins , hope that you are in good health! No it's not rude it's ignorance...I must admit i have never ever had this done to me , i think that these people know that i mean business , and i do look a bit mean:D

ROULLA

yes we had a bad experience of hotel staff nonstop disturbing us when we wanted to be alone...knock knock on the door and me shouting NOOOTTTT NOOWWWW!!!!!!!!!
Hi Nela hope that you are in good health! Maybe next time you should get a sign written in arabic and put it on the door....Do not disturb.
لا تخل

ROULLA

the money exchange at mnastir airport- when you are returning to uk is terrible- they really rip you off if you dont question it.. and if yo do they say 3% commision but if you work out 3% they are charging more like 18%...so i had to shout ot loud so everyone else in the queue checked their cash aswell.....
Hi Janette briki, hope that you and your family are all in good health!
Your middle name is not Roulla by any chance ?:D

janette b

we are fine thanks and hoping to get some good news shortly... or i may shout again.. going for a schengen visa to spain tomorrow for makem.... wish us luck....
ps. i dont have a middle name but maybe i will give myself one x

ROULLA

Good luck in getting your schengen visa, hope that you are able to visit as many countries out of the 15 with Makram..x

sianperkins89

good luck janette!

MellieC

Hi Mellie c hope that you and your family are all in good health! Looks can be very deceiving, maybe you should comment on trip adviser about that hotel..

Hey Rou,

fred and I have stayed in some small "pensions" occassionally, one or two nights to escape when we were sharing with his brother and the family descended on us too lol

they were cheap "VERY CHEAP" and were clean and comfortable and no-one knew we were there which was even better lol

the "fourati" had the same standard of "Blue paint splashed everywhere" lol

if i had paid the prices the tourists had i would have been SCREAMING, it was "fit" for 10dinar a night! as we paid in the pensions lol

MellieC

we are fine thanks and hoping to get some good news shortly... or i may shout again.. going for a schengen visa to spain tomorrow for makem.... wish us luck....
ps. i dont have a middle name but maybe i will give myself one x
all angles covered hun, no reason for it NOT TO BE ISSUED!!!
chat tomorrow

x

MellieC

and take that email i sent you ~ the one that says it should be issued without formality or delay lol

mand3366

I would recommend everyone to buy a `Currency Converter`, its similar to a small calculator, all you do is enter the exchange rate and it can then convert whatever currency you are using to sterling or vice versa. You can change the rate at any time and it can be used for any currency.

I certainly wouldnt be without mine!! My maths is pretty crap!!

M x

Essem

Staff member
Good luck with the Schengen visa Janette.

C

Cas

Millimes

I wouldn`t mind in this instance a few hundred millimes is nothing but i do object here in Cafe Nero when it happens in my local one, the owner of franchise or manager does it and he will be told.. it is more than a few hundred millimes. Never happened to us in T. always ask the price before we get in a taxi want to see inside the vehicle anyway. Always check everything when changing money and have a very good idea just count it out with them.
Please remember that people are living generally on a subsistence level so do you begrudge them "spare change" ?

ROULLA

Morning Cas, hope that you are in good health! I do not begrudge anyone a few spare dinars but i would rather offer it rather than it taken without my consent, here in the Uk, Cyprus, Tunisia or wherever....