Anyone know a good lawyer in Tunis please? I need to collect on a debt.

JaneDoe

Hi - I'm new to this forum but have been visiting Tunisia for the last 20 years. I lent some money to my ex's brother and he keeps fobbing me off. Now I need to take legal action, can anyone recommend an English speaking lawyer please, ideally one that has a London office/connection? Many thanks.

Essem

Staff member
Best to check out recommended lawyers on the British Embassy website and choose whichever one suits your needs.

As for getting your money back, one of my friends went down this route ro recover 2000 Swiss francs, went to court, won her case and he was ordered to repay her BUT she never received her money as the guy involved didn't have it so end of story.

Is it a lot of money that you're owed?

JaneDoe

Hi - thank you for your response. I'm owed nearly £200,000. He has assets. In the UK if a person is owed money the court would enforce seizure of assets to repay the debt, at this stage he probably just needs a lawyer's letter to show I am deadly serious about recovering the cash.

Essem

Staff member
That's a lot of money to lose. Do you have proof of loan as a loan not as a gift?

gem15

Wow £200,000!!! Please don't think on any level that the UK and Tunisian courts/laws are the same as you will be very disappointed.

I really hope you get the money back!

janette

I have been supporting a woman who was conned out of nearly half a million pounds by an educated business man -- not a sexual relationship - she considered all the family close friends, but I alerted her to the fact that the businesses did not exist - hence the court case. She won the case earlier this year after much to-ing an d fro-ing - he was convicted of fraud., She now has to start another court case to try to recover her money and apparently, that is going to be yet another long long scenario ----- despite the guilty verdict, he is challenging the amounts of money .Just be prepared for the long haul. Good luck

JaneDoe

That's a lot of money to lose. Do you have proof of loan as a loan not as a gift?
Yes I have a written, signed and witnessed declaration.

Trulymadlydeeply

Wish you all the luck in the world you sure are going to need it!!

JaneDoe

Many thanks for all your help so far, I'll let you know how it goes x

kassie

Many thanks for all your help so far, I'll let you know how it goes x
Just be persistent.....they will procrastinate!!! I know...... from experience! Good luck! xxx

JaneDoe

He says 'tunisian resident nationals can not transfer money abroad at will' does anyone know if this is the case? My bank says he just needs to deposit TND into my account quoting the IBAN & swift codes and the money will be converted into sterling.

Trulymadlydeeply

No they cannot transfer money out of Tunisia. If it is going through courts and you have proof of sending the money ie bank receipts or Western Union receipts then maybe you would be allowed to change it back into Stirling?

Scottochott

Truly is right, the Tunisian dinar is a closed currency and cannot be transferred abroad. You need to consult a lawyer and open a convertible bank account. I suspect you will need legal authorisation, central bank authorisation, and proof of your initial foreign currency importation. A long process ahead I'm afraid and get some good professional advice. Use a lawyer recommended by the embassy

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Open a convertible account with the bank which you paid the money into.

If you paid into another persons account from abroad then it will be difficult I would think.

In either scenario you need proof that the funds came into the country from you. Your best friend in this case is the Bank Manager of the bank you paid the money into.

To be honest though getting the money will be difficult enough > then i would worry about getting it out of Tunisia.

Scottochott is right get a good lawyer is needed and first stop the list at the embassy it cannot be any harm having one near to the court where the issue is located as connections matter in Tunisia.

Your going to be spending a lot of money even if litigation is cheaper than the UK

Please keep us posted how this goes

Last edited: