Applying for ILR next week!

maynardlynne

my husband passed his Life in the Uk on his second attempt but he did it the year before he applied for ILR, got it out of the way......x

gabriel612

It's ILR Danni...lol

You say it ends in August 2014, is that the 2 year period or the 2 years plus 3 months period? He can apply after 23 months.

We shall be applying in December ourselves...and don't fall under the old old regs but not under the new regs either.....ie if husbands English wasn't above their acceptable level then he would also need to do an ESOL with citizenship NOT Life in the UK, so you need to check the UKBA website first to make sure that your husbands English grade is already sufficient, if not then enrol at College.

The UKBA website does have on it all the relevant documentation needed, ie, letters addressed to him, bank statements etc, check it out....
Ooooh, not sure what you mean by English being above acceptable level. K did the KET test and passed it but only by a few above the acceptable level. Does he take the Life in UK or the ESOL with citizenship????

Jane BM

Ooooh, not sure what you mean by English being above acceptable level. K did the KET test and passed it but only by a few above the acceptable level. Does he take the Life in UK or the ESOL with citizenship????
Ah now I've only just got my head around the IELTS results...lol...thing to do is find out what level he got in the KET and see if that grade is level B1 or above....ill have a look as well.

Donasterian

i know its a long time away yet cos my wifes just got her visa but seeing as im a worrier i would like someone to shed some light on this issue. My wife scored 75% on her ket test which is a pass & i presume a level a2 (uk National Qualifications Framework.) Which test would she have to do after before her 2/5 years are up?

Jane BM

i know its a long time away yet cos my wifes just got her visa but seeing as im a worrier i would like someone to shed some light on this issue. My wife scored 75% on her ket test which is a pass & i presume a level a2 (uk National Qualifications Framework.) Which test would she have to do after before her 2/5 years are up?
Sounds to me like her level of English is good enough in which case then it'd be the Life in the UK test, however regulations are constantly changing on UKBA so I'd maybe have a look this time next year if I was you.

olliebaby

So ILR finally sent off yesterday!! Phew, glad to see the back of it! Now for the loooooooooong wait!

Essem

Staff member
So ILR finally sent off yesterday!! Phew, glad to see the back of it! Now for the loooooooooong wait!
Good luck with that Olliebaby. Hope you don't have to wait too long.xx

olliebaby

Thanks Essem! Just glad its in!
No holidays abroad for this year but we are away with Jane and her husband for Easter so we can relax (with lots of vino :) ) and not have to think about it now! Yaaaay!
Enjoy your Easter too x

Essem

Staff member
No holidays abroad for this year but we are away with Jane and her husband for Easter so we can relax (with lots of vino :) ) and not have to think about it now! Yaaaay!
Enjoy your Easter too x
Have a great Easter weekend all of you too.xx

Jane BM

Enjoy your Easter too x
And there was me thinking we were all going for the sightseeing!!!!! Lol

daffodil

Good Luck, olliebaby..hope you dont have to wait too long ....

Have a great Easter....and dont lead Jane astray haha xx

Essem

Staff member
email me
xx
Let us know the answer too please?

tiffjay

hubbys been studying the life in the uk test books but as i have just found out there a new book with new questions now so does that mean that half the questions from the old book arent even going to be in the new questions?

Jane BM

hubbys been studying the life in the uk test books but as i have just found out there a new book with new questions now so does that mean that half the questions from the old book arent even going to be in the new questions?
Who knows, but yes it'll be from the new Life in the UK book.

gabriel612

Let us know the answer too please?

Hi Essem
Ok here goes. I contacted UKBA via numbers on their website, was passed to different departments before calling this number: 0870 6067766. The lady explained that from October 2013 the Life in UK will be different, the criteria yet has not been finalised so she could only advise that everyone who has to apply after that date will be under the New Life in UK criteria and will all have to take that regardless of their score in IELTS or KET. I asked about doing the ESOl with citizenship first, she advised me to phone the local college and ask them.

The Esol department of the local college explained that people with low scores on the IELTS or KET, IE: below B1 in speaking and listening would do ESOL with citizenship at college and not need to do Life in UK as that certificate would be enough. So I think if your HB's need it before October 2013 then that is fine, or if their pass was B1 or above they just do life in UK under the rules now. So as K can't apply for ILR until next year he will have to do the new Life in UK test which may include listening and speaking rather than just the multi choice questions that they have to do now. The Life in UK questions changed in March this year but are still multi choice questions. From October 2013 all will have to do only the new Life in UK whatever that entails. Hope this makes sense to you I can just about understand it:confused::D

gabriel612

Oh and I read on UKBA site that: If you have not yet met the knowledge of language and life requirement and your current permission to stay will expire soon, you will need to apply using the appropriate form to extend your temporary permission to stay (also known as 'further leave to remain') in the UK.

Hope this has been of help to some of you. I have a headache now lol

Jane BM

It seems to me that the ESOL is more for people who've done the KET test....because as far as the IELTS test goes level 4 = B1 level, which is acceptable, which means that they'll just need to do the Life in the UK. As far as the IELTS goes again, they CANNOT even apply for settlement unless they score level 4 or above anyway, so they've already met the criteria when they initially apply for a settlement visa....make sense?

And yes the New Life in the UK book has only just recently come out....

gabriel612

It seems to me that the ESOL is more for people who've done the KET test....because as far as the IELTS test goes level 4 = B1 level, which is acceptable, which means that they'll just need to do the Life in the UK. As far as the IELTS goes again, they CANNOT even apply for settlement unless they score level 4 or above anyway, so they've already met the criteria when they initially apply for a settlement visa....make sense?

And yes the New Life in the UK book has only just recently come out....

Well I am still confused:confused: Yes K did the KET and would have had to study ESOL to get up to B1, so I asked about doing the ESOL with citizenship and was told as he will not be applying for ILR until next year he will not need to do the ESOL with citizenship as everyone will then have to take only the new Life in UK test which will have different criteria to the one now. She did say that there is no need to take both. So I am presuming that I will have to wait until October to see what the criteria is??? Ukba said they can only advise that it will be changing from October this year but can not yet tell me the content of this test. He can't do the ESOL course now until next September which will be after his visa expires. Oh I am no wiser now. Does he just do the New Life in UK test or what?????:confused: