b1level from 13th of octobre??

mjka

still confused about the b1 level !!!!do i need to do it even my settlement visa was given before the 9th of july ??(Rights.
If you already have leave to enter or remain in the UK, on the basis of being the spouse or partner of a settled person, you will need to meet the rules which were in force before 9 July 2012 if you apply for settlement.
The changes in

Jane BM

still confused about the b1 level !!!!do i need to do it even my settlement visa was given before the 9th of july ??(Rights.
If you already have leave to enter or remain in the UK, on the basis of being the spouse or partner of a settled person, you will need to meet the rules which were in force before 9 July 2012 if you apply for settlement.
The changes in
Yes you need to have level B1.... That's how I understand it. If you aren't sure, ring up the UKBA. Even under the old regulations you still had to prove your level of English once it got to ILR stage.

mjka

Yes you need to have level B1.... That's how I understand it. If you aren't sure, ring up the UKBA. Even under the old regulations you still had to prove your level of English once it got to ILR stage.
under the old rules til the 9th of july 2012 you have to do either life in uk test or esol courses but after the 9th of july you must do both life in uk test and b1level

kassie

under the old rules til the 9th of july 2012 you have to do either life in uk test or esol courses but after the 9th of july you must do both life in uk test and b1level
Hello.... if those are the rules.....then you must go with that? There is no way around that.....what they say goes.....sadly! :rolleyes:

mjka

Hello.... if those are the rules.....then you must go with that? There is no way around that.....what they say goes.....sadly! :rolleyes:
you didnt get my point!!!my point is if you had your visa or permission to stay BEFORE THE 9TH OF JULY2012 you are under the old rules that either you do life in uk test or esol exam but after the 9th of july all applicant must do both life in uk test and b1level

Jane BM

you didnt get my point!!!my point is if you had your visa or permission to stay BEFORE THE 9TH OF JULY2012 you are under the old rules that either you do life in uk test or esol exam but after the 9th of july all applicant must do both life in uk test and b1level
Actually under the new regs IF you do the ESOL with citizenship then you DON'T have to do the Life in the UK as well.

Did you contact the UKBA? So what you're saying is that under the OLD regs you didn't have to demonstrate your English skills before applying for ILR? you could just do Life in the UK?? Not my understanding.....

gabriel612

Actually under the new regs IF you do the ESOL with citizenship then you DON'T have to do the Life in the UK as well.

Did you contact the UKBA? So what you're saying is that under the OLD regs you didn't have to demonstrate your English skills before applying for ILR? you could just do Life in the UK?? Not my understanding.....
This is all very confusing. I have been on the phone to UKBA for 2 days trying to make them explain this issue to me, I think finally today I get it.....lol

It does not matter what rules they came under. Anyone applying for ILR after Ocober this year has to have B1 in English. UKBA told me it does not have to be ESOL any English language test that gives a level of B1. If you already have ILR then there is no problem.

I have contacted Cambridge ESOL's help line and they say that he can do a PET exam. There is no need to take a study course if their English language is good enough they can just sit the exam. They are kindly sending me all the resources to learn and see if hubby is able to just sit the exam and are also sending all places in my area that do the PET exam, as I can't get hubby on any ESOL course here they are all booked up. I was told yesterday that the new rules were posted on their website last November, now I know that is not true. Today I was told that the new rules were only posted 2 weeks ago. If they don't know whats what God help us. Talking to UKBA is like banging your head against a brick wall, I tried all excuses about old regs, makes no difference. Oh and we are all supposed to keep checking their website to see if any changes come in to place. I even tried that one, saying he came under old regs and all we expected was that he would have to do Life in UK which he is studying so why would I check to see if there are changes. They could not care less, they are so cold and talk to you as if you are rubbish. Hope that is of help to some of you.

Jane BM

This is all very confusing. I have been on the phone to UKBA for 2 days trying to make them explain this issue to me, I think finally today I get it.....lol

It does not matter what rules they came under. Anyone applying for ILR after Ocober this year has to have B1 in English. UKBA told me it does not have to be ESOL any English language test that gives a level of B1. If you already have ILR then there is no problem.

I have contacted Cambridge ESOL's help line and they say that he can do a PET exam. There is no need to take a study course if their English language is good enough they can just sit the exam. They are kindly sending me all the resources to learn and see if hubby is able to just sit the exam and are also sending all places in my area that do the PET exam, as I can't get hubby on any ESOL course here they are all booked up. I was told yesterday that the new rules were posted on their website last November, now I know that is not true. Today I was told that the new rules were only posted 2 weeks ago. If they don't know whats what God help us. Talking to UKBA is like banging your head against a brick wall, I tried all excuses about old regs, makes no difference. Oh and we are all supposed to keep checking their website to see if any changes come in to place. I even tried that one, saying he came under old regs and all we expected was that he would have to do Life in UK which he is studying so why would I check to see if there are changes. They could not care less, they are so cold and talk to you as if you are rubbish. Hope that is of help to some of you.
Well done Gabriel......HALLELUJAH!!

So old regs OR new regs.....B1...........

mjka

Well done Gabriel......HALLELUJAH!!

So old regs OR new regs.....B1...........
hi is it b1 level in listennig and speaking easier than life in uk test or the other way???any idea what sort of exam to take to meet b1 level??is it only pet exam??

Jane BM

hi is it b1 level in listennig and speaking easier than life in uk test or the other way???any idea what sort of exam to take to meet b1 level??is it only pet exam??
If you read Gabriel's post above, she actually spoke to them, yes they can do a PET test to bring it up to level B1... However this isn't instead of Life in the UK....the B1 is in English, all aspects....nothing to do with the Life in the UK.

Trulymadlydeeply

I'm losing the will....:(

Jane BM

....lol I've lost it!
Kassie can I ask you....under the old regs when your husband applied for ILR, what were the requirements? Obviously there was the Life in the UK but did they also have to demonstrate their English skills as well? I know you said he did an ESOL, was that by choice or was it mandatory to show his level of English as well? Because I'm assuming that when he initially applied for settlement from Tunisia he didn't have to pass an English test then, like they do now...

kassie

Kassie can I ask you....under the old regs when your husband applied for ILR, what were the requirements? Obviously there was the Life in the UK but did they also have to demonstrate their English skills as well? I know you said he did an ESOL, was that by choice or was it mandatory to show his level of English as well? Because I'm assuming that when he initially applied for settlement from Tunisia he didn't have to pass an English test then, like they do now...
Hi Jane....
If I remember rightly....seems so long ago lol...he really could not do Life in the uk as his English level was below....what ever the requirement was.... I think 3? Well, he could have but I felt his English was not good enough! Therefore, he had to do ESOL at college...then pass and prove that he had progressed from assessed at entry, to the next level. And no.... he did not require to prove his English level for spouse visa.

Hope you understand me lol;)

mjka

Hi Jane....
If I remember rightly....seems so long ago lol...he really could not do Life in the uk as his English level was below....what ever the requirement was.... I think 3? Well, he could have but I felt his English was not good enough! Therefore, he had to do ESOL at college...then pass and prove that he had progressed from assessed at entry, to the next level. And no.... he did not require to prove his English level for spouse visa.

Hope you understand me lol;)
hi any idea what is the easiest exam to do to meet b1 level in listening and speaking??cos pet exam applicant must do listening and speaking and writing,reading???so how much score you need just to meet b1level in listening and speaking?

Jane BM

hi any idea what is the easiest exam to do to meet b1 level in listening and speaking??cos pet exam applicant must do listening and speaking and writing,reading???so how much score you need just to meet b1level in listening and speaking?
It shouldn't be that difficult MJKA...my husband got B1 level whilst still in Tunisia having done no preparation whatsoever!!

salim

requirements for British citizenship

Immigration Minister Mark Harper has announced that individuals seeking British naturalisation or settlement will be required to hold English language qualifications as well as passing the Life in the UK test (LITUK).

From 28th October 2013, applicants must prove they possess an appropriate level of conversational English (B1 intermediate) as well as passing the LITUK test in order to satisfy the Knowledge of Language and Life requirement.
Mr. Harper said: “British citizenship is a privilege, not a right. The government expects that those wishing to become citizens should demonstrate their commitment by learning the English language, as well as having an understanding of British history, culture and traditions.

“We are toughening up language requirements for naturalisation and settlement to ensure that migrants are ready and able to integrate into British society. This forms part of our changes which have broken the automatic link between temporary and permanent migration.”

This change will strengthen the citizenship process, replacing the current system which requires applicants to sit either the LITUK test or show language progression through English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) levels.

Under the current rules, depending on your level of English you could choose to attend combined English language (ESOL) and citizenship classes.

A range of English language qualifications will be accepted as evidence that an applicant has met the B1 level speaking and listening requirements.

Candidates from majority English speaking countries, as laid out in the Immigration rules, will not be expected to complete the language requirement, but will be expected to pass the LITUK test.

The new requirements will apply to those individuals applying on or after 28th October 2013 and all adults, unless covered by a specific exemption, will be expected to meet the requirement, whether they are the main applicant or dependent.

Those under the age of 18 or over the age of 65 will be exempt from the language requirements and in line with current practice, those with physical or mental conditions which severely restrict their ability to learn English will continue to be excused.

gabriel612

By permission to stay, are you saying that you have already got your ILR? If thats the case then know you don't have to do anything. For anyone who is applying for ILR after October this year they must have both level B1 English and also do Life in UK. So on your test to gain entry to UK if you scored below B1 English then you must either do the exam to a B1 level or study and then do the exam and also take Life in UK test.

gabriel612

You especially have to show listening and speaking to show that you can communicate and integrate well in UK, as well as reading and writing. It is the exact same as what is done before gaining entry to UK only the score Has to be minnimum B1, Life in UK test has also got to be taken. So on the day you apply for ILR (indefinate leave to remain) you can show proof of B1 language skills and that you have also passed Life in UK test