bringing a lot of sports equipment in on the ferry

Pete-b

Hi
I am arranging a holiday for 12 friends to tunisia and will be driving over from the UK via Genoa in a renault master van and I will have 13 paramotors in the back.
A paramotor is a small flying machine (google paramotor) with no registration or serial numbers on.
Altogether The equipment is worth £100,000 and I cannot find out the best way of registering them in through customs so they can be checked back out again.
A carnet is for business use so we cant use one of those and leaving a security/duty deposit is out of the question as this equates to £70,000.
I have called all the relivent places in the UK and spent hours on the phone to the tunis embassy in tunisia and no one can give me an answer apart form it should be ok to bring them in.
I dont want to get to the port only to be told I need to pay for duty or that I cannot go in with the equipment as I will have 12 very angery men after me.
Does anyone know how to do this or any way to contact the main customs office by E-mail so that I can confirm things in writing.
Pete
Apologies for the very long first post. :)

Essem

Staff member
Hi Pete-b and welcome to the forum

Try this link: http://www.douane.gov.tn/ - there's a contact email on there that might be of help.

Essem

Staff member
and...........

http://www.douane.gov.tn/index.php?id=29

Direction Générale des Douanes

Tél : 71799700
Fax : 71791644
Adresse : Rue Asdrubal Lafayette 1002 Tunis
Responsable : Mohamed Meddeb - Directeur général des douanes

Pete-b

Thanks Essem I will fax them now and post the reply.

Pete

Neil

Thanks Essem I will fax them now and post the reply.

Pete
Ohhhhhhh when and where are you going to be there I gotta have a go on that if you have a tandem :D

Pete-b

If it works out we will be there from 19-24 May this year. touring around a bit flying over some of the star wars sets so we don't have any definite times for places (yet). My number is zero77zero33eight11977.
We will have the tandem with us. :)

Pete

Neil

Dam I wont be there then but thanks for the info, very much appreciated sounds like fantastic fun :cool:

Pete-b

Dam I wont be there then but thanks for the info, very much appreciated sounds like fantastic fun :cool:
No probs your loss. :)

annh

If it works out we will be there from 19-24 May this year. touring around a bit flying over some of the star wars sets so we don't have any definite times for places (yet).
Maybe a stupid question but will the Tunisian govnerment give you permission to do that ?

caveatemptor

Tunisian customs are notoriously difficult to deal with and seem to be a law unto themselves. Apart from the problems as highlighted by annh, (did you get any permission to use these machines) customs will assume you will try to sell the equipment and try to avoid paying duty. Perhaps someone on the forum knows of a good RELIABLE transitair (customs broker) who can act on your behalf. But please bear in mind two good transitairs may well give you two different answers. Why not get in touch with the Tunisian Tourist office in London whose job it is to promote tourism. I would also suggest you get UK customs to advise you of the nomenclature of your kit, this is an internationall recognized code number for any commodity/item which you can pass on to a Tunisian transitair. Good luck.

Pete-b

Hi Annh we already have permission in place.

Pete

Pete-b

Hi Caveatemptor, As far as bring the kit in I have contact all of the above as well as about 5 other departments and orginisations.
As it stands at the moment we will need an ATA carnet which will cost about £200 which is no problem :) The problem does come when we have to find £75,ooo to put in to a sucure account as a deposit for the Carnet :eek:
We will not be coming to tunisia this year or any other year so it is their loss of custom :( Instead Austria will now be getting all our hard earned cash. :)

A big thank you to all that have responded to my question, I will still get the E-mail updates so if anyone has any viable ways to get the kit in please post. If I/we can help any of you in any way please ask.
http://www.paramotorholidays.org/

Pete
(we were really looking forward to coming, All 14 of us).

Essem

Staff member
Hi Pate

What a disappointment for you. So the ATA Carnet is paperwork required for temporary admission of your equipment - £75,000 seems very expensive, how does that compare with, for example, Austria?

Paperwork for anything in Tunisia is a bit of a nightmare at the best of times!

Good luck

Pete-b

Austria is Nill as its in the EU just load the van customs sometimes just look through the door.
We thought we could list the items with serial numbers and pictures of it all and this would be acceptable but they will not have any of it.
Pete

caveatemptor

As you say, this is Tunisia`s loss, but of course being Tunisian their way is the only way. What about driving to Sicily and flying the 50 miles to Tunisia! Just a thought, not a sensible one though.

Pete-b

We would still have the same problem getting in to the country. It would be a cool flight though:cool: