Can anyone explain the free movement right please

joanne

I am engaged to a Tunisian man, we have been in a relationship for over 12 months. I have been to Tunisia a few times and the last time there I lived with my fiancé for 3 months. I am back in the uk as we are expecting our first baby. I have searched the internet looking for ways to bring him here to be with me, but every answer seems impossible, then I seen the free movement right. I have read this over and over but I can't seem to understand what it is. please can anyone explain this to me in simple terms.
Thank you in advance

Jellycat

You would gave to go and live in another European country and your spouse could join you there on a free visa.

joanne

thank you for replying, would I still need all the requirements like I do for England eg. lots of money

gem15

You wouldn't need any requirements like the UK but you do have to move your whole life there. You cannot have any ties to the UK i.e a house, job and some people have closed their bank accounts. You will then need to be working for 3 months before being able to apply for the visa for the UK which again will be with without the normal UK visa requirements.

There are a few pages on Facebook that have all the info I'm not 100% of the names but I'm sure someone here can let you know.

joanne

You wouldn't need any requirements like the UK but you do have to move your whole life there. You cannot have any ties to the UK i.e a house, job and some people have closed their bank accounts. You will then need to be working for 3 months before being able to apply for the visa for the UK which again will be with without the normal UK visa requirements.

There are a few pages on Facebook that have all the info I'm not 100% of the names but I'm sure someone here can let you know.
Thank you for your reply, I will have a look on facebook

gem15

Search for SS rights and EEA freedom of movement.

Jane BM

If youre pregnant now may not be the right time to be thinking of doing the SS route, having to uproot yourself to another country and also remember you need to be in work there for a minimum of 3 months and 1 day, in reality people generally end up working for about 4 months before they apply for a visa to come to the UK. You also have to prove that your centre of life is in the new EU country and not the UK.

Sounds easy, but realistically not as easy as people think. Good luck. X

joanne

Thank you everyone for your advice, and I'm sorry to be a pain asking so many questions..

I know I won't get a job because I'm pregnant, so would my partner not be able to join me if I'm claiming benefits
Would my partner not be able to work
And would I have to live there on my own for a while, or would we be able to go together

He is the only support I have and its killing me being apart from him

Essem

Staff member
Hi Joanne,

Have you considered relocating to Tunisia?

gem15

Even working from home being self employed counts as working for the SS route. Maybe start a jewellery making online business or something along those lines all count. You can go together but better to go first to sort out accommodation.

Jane BM

Thank you everyone for your advice, and I'm sorry to be a pain asking so many questions..

I know I won't get a job because I'm pregnant, so would my partner not be able to join me if I'm claiming benefits
Would my partner not be able to work
And would I have to live there on my own for a while, or would we be able to go together

He is the only support I have and its killing me being apart from him
You wouldn't be able to claim benefits for the time that you're there. You'd also need to PROVE you were working if you were self employed, again easier said than done....especially when pregnant.

Essem is right, is there no way you'd consider moving to Tunisia to start with?

Last edited:

gem15

A member on here called Marhaba did this route and I think they just moved to the UK and her husband worked so i think it is possible for your husband to be in employment when he arrives and gets the certain paperwork.

Jane BM

A member on here called Marhaba did this route and I think they just moved to the UK and her husband worked so i think it is possible for your husband to be in employment when he arrives and gets the certain paperwork.
Which paperwork? I've heard this tonight as well that they can, I'd always been led to believe it was just the EU member who could work, but then I guess if their intent is to stay in the other EU country, ie, prove their centre of life is there, then it'd only be realistic that he could work as well.

The EU member has to work though don't they? Can't just be the spouse?

gem15

Which paperwork? I've heard this tonight as well that they can, I'd always been led to believe it was just the EU member who could work, but then I guess if their intent is to stay in the other EU country, ie, prove their centre of life is there, then it'd only be realistic that he could work as well.

I think they have to apply for some sort of residence card within a certain time before they can work. Most people apply as soon as they get there and it's pretty straight forward.

The EU member does have to work too.

joanne

Hi Joanne,

Have you considered relocating to Tunisia?
I love Tunisia and loved the time I spent there, but a lot of the time I spent on my own. I couldn't make any friends as there was no English speaking people, I couldn't go to the shops by myself because of the language barrier. So as you can imagine it was very boring and lonely. As a last resort I might consider it.

marhaba

Hiya Gem, We got the family permit he was here 3 weeks, which he would decided weather we live in ireland or the UK, He chose Ireland :( ill be going back to live with him after our main visit to his family next year.

The non EU spouse has the same rights as the british spouse as soon has he or she enters the EU member state. The EU spouse has 90 days to find work.

I shall create a thread on the SS route now in detail.

robynnehm

So just to confirm... if the uk resident moves out to te eu for minimum one month and one day... with all life ties there... job bank maybe some family etc? The. The tunisian spouse can move, no visa... then they have the right to move back to the uk? The visa requirements to go back... are they as hard as coming to UK from tunisia? Or is it a case of just relocating again?? X I have family in France and UK so it woukd be easy for my to move there and then get him there too... also I have family in hungary too... so my options are wide spread at the moment...

Does this sound like something that I could potentially do.. move away then move back x x x thanks in advance robynne

robynnehm

Sorry haha 3 months x