Can you flush toilet paper in Tunisian toilets?

hannan

Someone told me that you cannot flush toilet paper down the toilets in Tunisia (and other countries) because it will clog the drain, is this true?! My friend disposes of used toilet paper in the trash can, this seems unsanitary and gross to me!

I'm sorry but I didn't know where to post this question! I guess it falls under culture :/

Aslemma

I've never seen any notices saying that you can't, either in hotels or elsewhere, and private homes which have proper toilets also usually have a supply of toilet paper which is flushed away without any problems.

hannan

Thank you Aslemma, my friend was referring to private homes but I believe you are right, I have not had any problems...thanks again

Jane BM

I've seen signs in public loos asking not to flush toilet roll down the loo...and yes for the reasons you've stated.

Scottochott

This is the case in several countries, and you will sometimes find it in Tunisia. There will be a sign and a bin, and of course lots of flies!:eek: Mercifully you see it less and less, and I think in most homes you can now flush safely! It probably has something to do with the diameter of the sewage pipes or whether it is on mains sewerage or a septic tank.

missmetal

Lets not assume all toilets flush. You can flush the paper down the toilets unless otherwise stated. But the 'flushing' process is also done with filling a bucket up and then pouring it down the toilet to create the same force it needs to push the paper through, when the actual flush is not working :arghh::eek:. Many experiences with this.

The unsanitary aspect is only likely to happen if they dont empty the bin. Remember that they wash their parts, and use paper to dry. So no toilet paper should be in the bit that is dirty really, but for us westerners it will be as we're used to our process.

If flushing is a problem, just look at it this way, you're camping in the wilderness...my suggestion if you are staying in a private home, and you cant flush paper down, take some doggie poop bags with you and tie your paper in a bag so you avoid smells.

Personally, i dont stay to long in private homes, and when i do i eat lots of bread and avoid the toilet for #2's. Because lets be honest, not only is there a toilet paper issue, there's a toilet seat issue too...if its even on the toilet or not falling half off. LOL!....just saying....

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I remember when I first visited Tunisia and went to the loo.

It was like Stallone in demolition man no roll, no seat cover and a hose.

Last edited:

Scottochott

I must admit I've converted to the hose! Thinking of installing it in the uk!

missmetal

I must admit I've converted to the hose! Thinking of installing it in the uk!
Im not apposed to it, but water and such all over the floor...just not a winner for me, there needs to be some additional skills needed to avoid it

Jane BM

Im not apposed to it, but water and such all over the floor...just not a winner for me, there needs to be some additional skills needed to avoid it
Agree, agree, agree...lol

daffodil

I also agree

I have a bidet at home always have had......Highly reccomended when suffering any kind of discomfort in the nether regions , eg after childbirth..

daffodil

PS

Just try to train a Tunisian man to use a bidet...now thats another story;)

Jane BM

PS

Just try to train a Tunisian man to use a bidet...now thats another story;)
They need to find the bathroom first...:p...JOKING!!

Essem

Staff member
I visited a house in the country near Sfax and the toilet was outside and around the corner. The door didn't close and the loo was a hole in middle of the floor and little footstep marks where your feet should go.

Old baby's bath full of water sat in the corner with a jug to flush :eek:

When I asked the first time where the loo was, I was asked if I really wanted to go. After the drive down from Sousse I was practically cross legged so I said yes of course I really want to go.

I was wearing jeans and boots - well, have you ever tried squatting over a hole in the floor and aiming whilst holding your jeans around your knees, trying to balance without being able to hold onto anything, trying to carefully stretch one foot out to keep the door from opening and, at the same time, trying not to wee over your clothes! Not easy.

ROULLA

Hi Missmetal hope that you are well!

Firstly I have only seen toilet paper in just a few houses that I have been to and so don't bother using anyone's loos and secondly there is a way in using the hose so that they water does not get on the toilet seat or on the floor.

Could you imagine the smell in Tunisia if people through there waste in the dustbins it's bad enough with just the trash and there is loads of it everywhere these days.

missmetal

Hi Missmetal hope that you are well!

Firstly I have only seen toilet paper in just a few houses that I have been to and so don't bother using anyone's loos and secondly there is a way in using the hose so that they water does not get on the toilet seat or on the floor.

Could you imagine the smell in Tunisia if people through there waste in the dustbins it's bad enough with just the trash and there is loads of it everywhere these days.
Yes exactly Roulla, my stomach is not strong and I would throw up. In fact that reminds me of going to the one coffee shop in Sousse by one of the hotels on the strip...the name escapes me. I don't think the men cleaned out the ladies sanitary bin the whole summer. As soon as me and my girlfriend walked into the loo, I was hit with this intense smell which almost led to an involuntary eruption but I got out in time. I swear it could have been a dead body in there.the manager was horrified and the soon dealt with it...but I just can't believe it got so bad....don't the women out there complain?!?!?

missmetal

I visited a house in the country near Sfax and the toilet was outside and around the corner. The door didn't close and the loo was a hole in middle of the floor and little footstep marks where your feet should go.

When I asked the first time where the loo was, I was asked if I really wanted to go. After the drive down from Sousse I was practically cross legged so I said yes of course I really want to go.

I was wearing jeans and boots - well, have you ever tried squatting over a hole in the floor and aiming whilst holding your jeans around your knees, trying to balance without being able to hold onto anything, trying to carefully stretch one foot out to keep the door from opening and, at the same time, trying not to wee over your clothes! Not easy.
I think I would have settled for bushes. I can't even face the long drops or porter loos at music festivals. I would risk a stinging nettle any day rather than go in a long drop. Mind you I have utilized an empty Pringles canister before too as I refused the bush at night time. For an African you would think I would be brave enough LOL!

Essem

Staff member
I think I would have settled for bushes. I can't even face the long drops or porter loos at music festivals. I would risk a stinging nettle any day rather than go in a long drop. Mind you I have utilized an empty Pringles canister before too as I refused the bush at night time. For an African you would think I would be brave enough LOL!
Maybe a gap in the market for travel toilets or peebols there :D:eek:

gem15

The french have been using the hole in the ground method for years now. I always refused to use them on the motorway stations. It does make it more hygienic but still not practical if you ask me BUT i would always squat over a public toilet anyways so not much difference. LOL

They also use a hole in the ground in Romanian night clubs and that isnt a pretty sight.

ROULLA

The french have been using the hole in the ground method for years now. I always refused to use them on the motorway stations. It does make it more hygienic but still not practical if you ask me BUT i would always squat over a public toilet anyways so not much difference. LOL

They also use a hole in the ground in Romanian night clubs and that isnt a pretty sight.
Hi Gem hope that you and your family are all well!
There are places even now that have holes in the ground and to be honest with you I prefer them and yes I am exactly like you I always squat wherever I go no matter what. We had this conversation at work the other day and you should have seen my face when they said that I was not normal and they sat on the toilet seats, well my face must have said it all as I am sure that I frowned and had a look on my face of disgust.:)