Cheapest way to send large parcel to tunisia

letters

does anybody know how long it takes for a letter to get from uk 2 tunisia?
sent one yesterday!!

cheers

xxx

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
RE: letters

I wish I knew and I have sent loads of letters also the cost of the postage from the UK seems to make little difference once it gets to Tunisia.

I would say just over a week and possibly 5 working days which is the fastest I have had anything get to Bizerte (maybe quicker to other locations within Tunisia).

When its really important I fed ex, ups, or dhl it which costs

So in essence don't bet your life on the post however it is reliable but somtimes things break and I have noticed that everything has been opened (if it has a present or something in) though nothing has been stolen ever.

thats great thanks just sent a cd n some photos over!

ur great so helpful 2 me xx

S

susiejwb

I think everything takes the same time to get to any part of Tunisia. It takes 5 to7 working days for an ordinary letter to get to Salhine everytime I send one.

Maybe someone could help me to find an address

Hi, my English is only a second language, sorry for the errors.
I travelled on my own in Tunisia from North to the deep deserted South, it was an amazing experience, plenty of pictures but I'm not ready with the album yet.
BTW, I have an important duty. I had a night in a small house at a berber family at the southern end of the Seldja Gorge, in the neighborhood of the water pump station. The friendly man is Ahmad (?), his only child name is Mahdi. The house is the last and only on the dead-end, at the first railway tunnel.
I had a bad feeling conversation with National Guard employees next day when I walked on the rails, waiting for the Lézard Rouge tourist train from Metlaoui. They saw my car in the court of the family where I left in security and it seems, it is illegal to overnight at the family.
I had to leave the territory, I would warn the family about the meeting but they were out in the city already just the berber grandmother was at home, I cannot explain her the possible problem, she speaks only Arabic.
I'd like to contact to the family because I'm think, I made a trouble for them. I know, the law enforcement forces are very strict in Tunisia, that's why I'm worried.
Would you help me, how to find the mail address of the family? They are approximately. 10 km West from Metlaoui probably in the place named to Magrou but no street or family name. The gps coordinates in Google Earth Lat34.337763°, Lon8.339449°. The map detail is here. It's quite embarassing I see them from the space but I can't send a mail to them.
Would you help me to direct me closer to the solution? A postman is Metlaoui or similar?

pej

Sorry I can't help you get in touch with them, but yes it is true that there might have been some trouble for them. Hotels as well as locals must report to the police if they keep a foreigner with them, this is something your new friends should have known and might well know, but hoped for the best since maybe they do not live close to a police station?

Thank you pej. I'm not familiar with Tunisian law but I must be familiar because I'm planning to discover this beautiful country and I don't want to cause any problem.
Is it forbidden to allow to a foreigner to spend time or sleep at a local family? Or is it legal to stay there, just they have to report to police after the visit? It's not clear for me unfortunately.
I travelled in the mountains and desert by a rented pickup and I overnighted couple times where the road finished at a friendly place or at a berber family and I helped them with small gift and paid for the accomodation. Is it illegal maybe? The hotels and campsites are non existing in the most region where I travelled and it's difficult to estimate the time of the journey in the outback due to changing road conditions or missing roads.

pej

Well I'm no expert in Tunisian law but as far as I understand it you must report housing a foreigner within 48 hours. I suppose in the outback people might not take it so seriously as police checks are less likely to happen. However, one should not take these things too lightly - Tunsian police aren't always easy to deal with. It sounds like a great way to travel, anyway, going off on your own! When are you planning on returning?

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
When you arrive it is written on the back of the white visitor cards.

Part of me thinks it's annoying the other part thinks that maybe it is good to know where all the tourists are so that if anything happens they know where to look.

I cannot say that I have informed the police but then again i know my local policeman. If anyone was going to be in trouble you would think it would be me but I have never found the police anything other than nice to me.

I had one issue late at night in Hammamet whilst driving the car with my friend, wife and her friend I think the oddity of having to English guys with two Tunisians at 4 am made him want to run a check on me as I apparently went though a stop on a roundabout when there was nobody for miles!

pej

Never had any problems so far either, I state my husband's familys' address on the card, and it is just a village so people do know each other. We were pulled over on the way to the airport last time and they did ask about me but we are married so no one can really object. I suppose if there's an incident with a tourist somewhere they might be more vigilant when a mixed couple comes along, but he has his id and I have my passport. Oh, and as for that card you fill out on the plane: it might be a good idea to keep the tab that you have to return when you leave the coutry with you at all times, according to some of my friends.

Hi traveller..
You really are well down in the south. Sorry i dont know much about the Tunisian law regarding your problem and Yes metlaoui would be the place as my husbands family are from a place close by there called "Moulares". Are you still down south? The train you mention ends in Metlaoui from what I remember. We travelled on this train throughtout the night, other places close by would be Gafsa, Redeyef,Tjamerza and Tozeur. The further down south you go the more natural untouched beauty of this country becomes visual meaning less roads and hotels etc as you found. You will find hotels in Gafsa and Tozeur for sure. When did your journey begin and do you intend to go further south or go elswehere? I hope you will share your experiences with us and hope you don't run into anymore trouble. :)

Hi Rosehart,
Metlaoui was only the way to back Sousse. Im already in Budapest, I do not have more time to stay there. Shortly I planned to discover the Southern territory but few weeks was not enough clearly. I began in Sousse, rented a 4x4 pickup from ADA, purchased necessary foods in the medina of Sfax, then I headed to the real South. First night I slept in the abandoned ksar in the Dahar mountain, Ksar Jelidat. At the dawn i drove to Guermessa, chatted and shared fruits with the old Boubakri Hamza at the top of the abandoned village, then I drove to Tataouine. I really enjoyed to stay in the district of car repair and charcoal burner black people, eating the roast chickens with them, then I headed to Ksar Ouled Soltane, then in the night to Douiret. The mountain hotel was a really breathtaking masterpiece, I respect the communities who survive the centuries and give a new life to the old kaalat. I suggest to stay in Douiret to anyone, the friendly staff deserve the visit. Next day began the rock desert through the tracks. I had a gps with some routes from german friends, that was my only help in the South, I did not have a detailed map. I spent time with nomads on the way to Ksar Ghilane, rescued sheeps, and drove through the inhabitant land, slowly learned, how to survive the continuous blowing chilly wind, how to make food in the wandering sand. I do not like the tourist places, I did not spent too much time in Ghilan but drove to the desert at the night. That was a really strong driving experience, surfing through the dunes, wadis, passing by small oases, wild camels, jerbuas, afraid a little bit of bogging down in the sand somewhere in the nowhere. But no problems, I managed. Then I spent some time in Douz, memorable thé and shisha in the nice cafe in the center. It was like in the movies, strange midnight mix of nomads in blue turbans, brown burnuses, ( I purchased and wear one too already, its a very functional clothing), and modern clothes, friendly atmosphere, no white faces:). I spent the night in a desert oases close to Zafraane, that was a hard night, strong sandstorm was blowing and I tried to get air in the drizzly powder.
Too much to remember. I have two more weeks of similar Tunisian experience but my English is quite bad and maybe this is not the right topic to share my memories. I try to collect my pictures and upload a small album to the gallery.
The poverty of North was a little bit frightening compared to the southern territories. The way down to Metlaoui through the 30-40 kilometers of phosphate mines and industrial cities are in heavy contrast with the simple but charming life of the South. The North was full of police and NG, law enforcement in every kilometer but my blue license plate was a ticket to a free ride. In the South there were less policemen but frequent stops especially near to Algerian border. I handshaked with the policemen and after a small chatting I continued my way.
The only disturbing moment on my trip was the NG meeting in the Seldja. I try to find the family because I feel responsible if they were abused because of their hospitality. That is my first duty.

48 hours is a good time slice to report, maybe they did it without any problem.
I do not know the date of next visit but I feel, I must go again, the South is a miracle for me. The crowded places are not my life but living on my own and having friends everywhere is a forgotten good feeling.
I keep my papers in my pockets, especially the white cards, the paperwork is the most important issue in the most countries. BTW it does not help too much when I prowling in the sand:)

Wow, thanx for returning to this site with your breath taking experience and places there that I have not even heard of. How did you sleep at night with the sand coloured almost transparent scorpions?
Anyway would be great so see the photos sometime..
Happy travelling... stay safe now and good luck..

pej

Traveller, I don't think you should worry about your English. I would really like to hear more about your experiences, perhaps you could share them with us in the tunisia.com blog?

beckijj

in reply to the letter question, i sent my man a letter with a picture in it. it cost 72p and i sent it on the 8th jan and it got there 2day the 18th. some people seem to get there b4 tho but my man did say it would b this long xx

sorry also in reply to original question..
I have managed to send the odd letter and its got there within 4-5 days of posting. Sometimes if posted on a Monday or at beginning of the week has been known to arrive there by the end of the week... I've had letters from there pretty quick too. Nothings ever gone missing but packages have been damaged (outer packings).. also my little girl's birthday card was badly damaged when it arrived last month..

pej

Most of my stuff has made it there in a week as well, only once did it take a detour somewhere. But, when sending things, keep in mind: Many Tunisians do not have mail boxes. If no one is at home in my husbands' family's house when the mail arrives, it just gets left on the ground and I have understood this is the usual way. So bear in mind weather conditions, chickens, cars coming in to park and other things!

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Also postmen know the folks in some areas, a letter of mine sat at the post office for 3 days as the postman knew for sure there was no "Hajer Heavens" in the corniche.

pej

Quite a romantic name your wife has, Kris! :)