Children in need of homes

ROULLA

I have always thought of these poor orphaned children out there, who dont have anyone and it really hurts as this is a subject close to my heart.
I have often wondered how these children cope after all i know that with out a decent meal and clothes on their back they cannot survive , but has anyone ever thought about how they are feeling inside, the pain,anguish and emptiness, i actually think ("how sad.)
I have even spoken to my family about this as i have always had a passion on helping these children in homes and i have always said ,that i would love to open my own childrens home in Tunisia one day.
I have tried to help as many people in the past but no matter how much you help them the pain will always be there, but you just try anyway, carry on and never give up.
I have even thought of having 3 to 4 kids living with me but apparently i am to old, are you telling me that because i am 43 i cannot console a child , listen to them and share the pain and anguish they have, well i think that i am quite able and should be given the chance, i would really love to know who makes these rules up.Even if they let me look after some kids whilst i am there, even if its to shop for them and make them feel special.
One thing, i have never seen a childrens home before in Tunisia and the funny thing is when you speak to people in the village about the childrens homes, you can see that they care but the subject soon changes, is that because they feel that they can't help them..........., because out of all the countries i have been to, Tunisian people really do like to share, even if it's there dinner they will invite you in and share it, and i think thats wonderful.
There should be some kind of summer scheme if you like, where you get to look after certain amount of kids for a couple of weeks, that way kids get a change of scenery plus you can spoil them and make them feel special.
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this subject.

kellyc

Hi

Hi Roulla,

Hope your well.

As you know I totally agree with you and havent heard of any summer schemes here so it would be a fantastic idea, in the village here there is a square that is supposed to be a type of park to sit and walk yet its demolished and rarely gets used and I often think why doesnt someone look after and let it be used for the children with a few slides etc in, I asked my fiance about last week and he said I wouldnt be allowed to touch it as its the governments, as I wanted to put a bouncy castle in there for the summer for the kiddies here.

Its a great idea I just dont know how it could be started but definately worth thinking about. Roulla I will send you a PM with some contact details that Ive got and you may be able to get some help about it.

ROULLA

Hi Kelly,

wow that would be fantastic if there was a scheme like that but i doubt it, need someone to speak to the goverment to see if they would accept these kind of schemes , could you imagine the smile on the childrens faces if such a scheme came to light.
Pity about the park but i am sure that no one would say anything if you placed a bouncy castle but then again there maybe safety regulations, im not sure on that one

kellyc

Hi

Hi

Sorry Roulla forgot to ask about the age thing, I agree with you as you know I am in contact and try to help with SOS Tunisia as weve discussed hehe thankfully were all better again. But they do have SOS mothers and the criteria for the age is 30 to 35 - which surprises me as thats very limited when the SOS mothers live with the group of children and takes care of them. I would say 100% that 43 is not old!!!

Roulla I will give you the link again but with the all the info for SOS Tunisia this is the index page and it does say orphans and abandoned children and children in danger, I really would love you to get in contact with them as they could do with someone like you who obviously has so much passion to help.

http://www.sos-villages.org.tn/eng/index.htm

kellyc

Hi

Hi Roulla,

Well it could be an idea to think about and ways of finding out via the government, I mean weve got Dubai investing billions into Tunisia with the project on berge du lac sud already under way - wouldnt it be great to see some of that money go to such schemes, but yes I doubt it very much.

ROULLA

hI kELLY,

i know that Dubai have invested money but thats all political stuff and attractions for tourist, thats another way of making money,do you really think that they would be interested in something that does not make profit , i doubt it unless someone want's there name published, it all about i scratch your back if you can scratch my back, i thinkso anyway but i could be wrong.

toonssia

Allah bless you both!
If I can help you in any way just let me know I really feel concern
Thanks for your intentions.

ROULLA

Hi Toonssia,

Thankyou so much for even taking an interest and looking at my new topic, i will send you a pm if something comes up and i m sure that your help will be greatly appreciated the more people that get involved the better chance we have, take care

toonssia

Thank you Roulla for thinking about these kids,
you live in UK so how do you plan helping from here? I live in Dublin myself but would love to do something got some family in need of help in Tunisia my cousin is autist and his brother has also a kind of genetic diseases.
I try to help them in every way I can bringing clothes or sending some stuff like mp3 playstation as they really enjoy them but still it is not enough....
Take care

Bigbrother

Roulla, go girlfriend!!! So glad that this subject is getting the recognition that it so greatly deserves. Hope many good things come out of this post and that sponsors will dig deep into their pockets - I certainly will. Hopefully between us all we can promote these good causes and get them some extra funding plus increased public awareness.

toonssia

Hi Roulla!
just wondering if you were in London?

ROULLA

Hi Toonssia,

Snowahelek labess shaallah! Even though i live in the Uk i always go at least twice a year, sometimes we just get up and go it really depends on what's going on.
We do know quite a few people in Tunisia who are really poor and we try and help them as much as we can by asking one of my husbands cousins to pop around and give them some money now and then, we have even let a couple with 4 kids stay in our house rent free for 2 years but the problem was that we really did need our house just like everyone else, so we manage to find them a place and they are ok now.
We always take a few toys, books,pens and clothing so that we always have something to give the needy.
On the other side re: the orphans i was thinking that maybe i can get in contact with the person incharge of the childrens home and maybe if i am allowed arrange an outing for them, hopefully they will let me tag along and i know that i would really enjoy it.
I will also ask the person in charge if he/she will allow me to do voluntary work for a few days per week whilst i am over there as i would really enjoy that.
Talking,singing feeding,changing them anything that they want me to do, i am willing to do anything.
We can say hamdoleh every day but can those poor little mites.
Shallah i will visit one of the homes and speak to the person incharge face to face............
every little helps and the more people that contribute the more chance a child has........

ROULLA

Hi Bigbrother ,

im glad that you find this topic interesting, this is a subject close to my heart and i hope that in the near future things can only progress.

ROULLA

Hi Toonssia,

Yes i do live in London

woudlg

Hi all,

Have been really interested in this thread - I remember discussing adoption etc. with my Tunisian husband and I got the sense that looked-after children was a bit of a hush-hush issue in Tunisia, that it wasn't really acknowledged. Certainly, the concept of children having no families in a Muslim society struck me as odd - I guess, naively, I'd assumed that such a family oriented culture/religion wouldn't have this kind of social problem - and that extended families/other members of the community would embrace orphaned children more than perhaps happens in our western society. I wondered perhaps whether some of these children had disabilities (e.g. learning disabilities or physical impairments), which was a reason for their displacement? I'm an occupational therapist myself and have been interested in disability issues in Tunisia, which, to me seem eons behind a lot of other countries (e.g. in terms of health and social care provision, legislation etc.)- though I did see an advert for a disability conference to be held in Djerba, the content of which also suggested that Tunisia was playing catch-up. If disability is not high on the social agenda, then that would perhaps influence how much is invested into childrens homes - I had a quick look at the weblink Kelly (thanks for that) and there are no obvious photos of children with disabilities (or at least those disabilities that are immediately observable) but surely there must be? (often children and adults with disability are not portrayed in marketing/promotional materials within societies who are less 'comfortable' with disability issues in general). Would be really interested to hear your thoughts!

ROULLA

Hi Woudlg,

I also had a few concerns myself and thats why i choose this topic, as i have always thought that the topic of childrens homes in Tunisia seemed to be brushed under the carpet, and i know being married to a Tunisian, that they adore children in Tunisia , so i could not understand why
and i still have no answer!
Maybe they have got disabilities and thats why they are in homes as all Tunisian people love children and would not give up their own flesh and blood, but then again it is possible that they really do not have family , my husband has only but a few cousins, so it really is possible.
Never the less i feel that this topic is not talked about as much as it should be, but i am
sure that eventually people will and should be made more aware of the facts of these poor little mites ,as knowledge is a wonderful thing but you also need power to be able to raise certain issues............................

pej

As for myself, I have seen children and adults with various disabilities in tunisia, including a whole class of children with various disabilties visitng a museum at the same time as me once. Perhaps some want to "hide" disabled children, but in my husbands' village people do no such thing. They love their children and take care of them.

One thought I've had about children that are not looked after by family but live in orphanages and such is perhaps that some of them are born out of wedlock? Unfortunately that would make it difficult for many mothers to keep them. In other cases there are no doubt other tragic stories. I remember seeing an SOS village during my first visit to Tunisia and even though it's a shame they are needed, it's a blessing they do exist!

toonssia

Hi All!
beeing a tunisian myself am gonna try to give some info sorry my english is not as good as i wish and hope you wont get me wrong. Never heard about a kid left in orphnage due to disabilitie. Unfortunatly kids in homes are born outside marriage and it is preferable fot them to be held outside of their family gouvernement dont want them to be victims of their parents "mistakes". Hopefully these houses exist but still it is not enough to avoid newborn babies founds in public bins....that is the hard reality those presents at childrens homes are in some ways lucky to be alive....
These things happens though abortion is not prohibited in Tunisia

Once again soory about my english just trying to explain...
Thank you All for feeling concerned

ROULLA

Hi Pej,

I have also seen a few disabled children but not that many, however you mentioned that you have seen sos and yes i agree with you it is a blessing unfortunately i have never seen any, wish i had just to make me more comfortable.
I do believe that the sos exist and also believe that you have seen them, but without me seeing it's really hard for me to picture it, if you know what i mean.

ROULLA

Hi Toonssia,

Hope that this message reaches you and your family in good health !
I see that you mentioned about newborn babies being fouind in public bins, and know that these things do happen in the Uk , but i was quite shocked to hear that this kind of thing happens in Tunisia dont ask me why, call me naive but my heart sank and i feel really upset knowing that this is happening in Tunisia or anywhere for that matter.
I have been gonig to Tunisia for such a long time and things have changed drasticaly, i have never heard of this thing in my husbands village or even in Tunisia, I just wished that i could save all those tiny heart being thrown away and just wish that i could bring them all up........................ but i know that is not reality........
Take care .