Chit Chat about anything..

deblee71

It's really cold here in Tunisia - it's the coldest we've felt in 11 years
Think it's going to be pretty cold there for the next few days or so the forecast says! 'A' said it was about 7/8 degrees when I spoke to him and that was in the day!! Feel sorry for those on their hols expecting some warm weather...lol...:( x

soleil

Gem 15

Yeah, I agree with you. For what I could see, they just get on with it, but I found it very difficult myself :oops:, as the house we were staying in, had a lot of dampness! It was not a pretty picture trying to keep my composure...under a ton of blankets, in the living room! :D

gem15

Gem 15

Yeah, I agree with you. For what I could see, they just get on with it, but I found it very difficult myself :oops:, as the house we were staying in, had a lot of dampness! It was not a pretty picture trying to keep my composure...under a ton of blankets, in the living room! :D
I know the feeling. I said to Mr B its like going back in time for me as ive never not had CH. He has not got his mind set on it as when we stayed at my parents its iec and cosy.
I dont know how people can have children and bring them back to freezing cold houses, the babies are contantly wrapped in blankets

missmetal

Almost parallel to my relationship and the experiences for us too! Good luck to us then...and of course to all the rest. Looking forward to more updates......

I can see tho after 3weeks there's probably a little coffee shop withdrawal going on. Hanging out in a Starbucks for the sake of going out is not really me...I can see how it's for him tho....it's all they really do out there. I might need to adjust to it a bit....or with any luck he'll get a job at Starbucks, that will solve the issue LOL!

Hi All

Was asked when hubby came here if id do a little update sometimes as to how things are going, how hes finding integrating/adapting to the ways etc here and how we are coping with it all...

Well firstly THANK GOD it was last Sunday and not today that i had to drive to Heathrow......with the snow....otherwise id have probably had to set off last night!!! and then no doubt sat at the airport for a day cos his flight would probably have been cancelled.....

I can hand on heart say (and i know its very early days!) that so far there are NO problems....there has been nothing he doesnt like....even the weather...we kitted ourselves out in hats, scarves, gloves etc etc and then yesterday obviously we had the big arrival of snow and it reminded me of when my son was little and saw snow for the first time............:). Was perfect timing for me...

He is not struggling with food....in fact he thinks the bread here is so much better than in Tunisia...i found a decent expresso coffee so hes fine there...ive introduced him to Costa coffee and Druckers (a Bham based coffee shop that just does the BEST cream cakes in the world!!!), so he doesnt even feel hes missing out on the coffee shops right now as weve set ourselves a little routine in the mornings (yes mornings!! he gets up!!) and we leave the house at 9.00 to go to customers, then when weve finished that we call in to one of the above and have a coffee and cake (and of course the obligatory Marlboro!! lol). I guess ive been lucky because weve been able to spend our time together....after about the 2nd day here he was up ready and waiting to start working with me...which is just GREAT!!.

Im taking it slowly, slowly with the going out/meeting people/places etc etc, theres no rush...hes not here on holiday....what we want more than anything is 'normality' and thats what we are placing importance on first...he did have his first experience of a typical English country pub on Friday night with a few friends and draught Beer....loved it...even then having to go outside to have a cig...lol. Its off to spend a bit of time with the family this afternoon so that should be interesting...

I think the biggest eye opener for both him and me, and i know this may sound daft...its his relationship with my dog Ruby!!, she is a 14 year old Golden Retriever and just my BABY!!, shes a real old gal now but as everyone will know, they have the most beautiful temperament. He was very wary about meeting 'the dog' cos all he saw on photos was a big dog and because the mentality towards animals over there is so different to here, he just didnt know what to expect...so he was AMAZED by how clever she was....wow..she lets you know when she wants to go to the loo....my god, she doesnt eat scraps but proper dog food!!!, shes always wagging her tail...shes just so happy.... They have both fallen in love with each other... he totally 'gets it' now when i used to tell him how much i missed her when i was over there....he is CONSTANTLY giving her bloody treats which ive told him to stop!!! and even CARRIED her up the stairs the other night so she could sleep upstairs (her legs arent strong enough now to get up/down stairs!). Hes become a dog lover!!! yippee!! cos i always have been.....

And he COOKS and CLEANS!!!!!

So, so far so good....and long may it continue...

:):D:)

So folks, so far so good is all i can say.....and long may it continue....:)

C

Cas

Good to hear from you MM, why not start plans for him to open a cafe ? sure a tiny place around Robson,W4th, would go well or streets just off Gas town, I know there are some either Iranian or Arabic guys in town, how large a group these days?

Black Mamba

Man I love coffee, I love my Nescafé and milk ^^

Jellycat

That's nice to hear the hubbies are settling in. It's my hubby's first day here too after arriving with absolutely no problems at Hearhrow yesterday afternoon - he's just here for a visit at moment after we got visit visa on appeal. He's still asleep at the moment so will see what today has in store. Luckily I live very near the airport so no travel problems. Nearly had a bit of trouble at Tunis cos hubby only had a one way ticket which apparently is against Tune rules. Luckily the desk decided to let it go when I explained it would not be a problem at the uk end and that I worked for the Govt and showed him some correspondence i'd had with UkBA which confirmed hubby's entry clearance. I was not sure if we would have to get hubby a 60 Tnd exit stamp as he is on a visit but an officer there said was not necessary if we showed marriage cert which we did. At heathrow we were lucky too- I went off to the EU lanesnd cleared then waited for hubby to come through the "others" lane which had a masssive queue. Then an immigration officer who had dealt with me on the Eu lane walked past and asked if I was waiting for someone. when I told her my husband she said he could have come through with me. Then she opened up one of the emPty desks and called him through. Maybe not all UkBA personnel are evil!

Hubby didn't bring that many posssesssions- but he did bring about a dozen mini cabs of Harissa just in case - I'm near loads of ethnic shoPs so should be able to restock easily enough.
Funny things so far- him never having heard a washing machine on full spin before, him seeing the foxes footprints in the snow in the garden and saying he wants to kill it and skin it ( I don't think so!!). Any way off to wake him up.

kangaroo

Hi MM, Jane and all.
Really pleased to hear MMs and Janes hubbies have settled so well. I've been searching for updates in anticipation of my 'arrival' yesterday. Have been trying to clean up / clear wardrobe space all week despite raging chest infection. Jane, unlike you I had to battle the weather yesterday for the trip to Heathrow to get him - 5 hour round trip. And have lost my voice!! How lucky for him as he arrives! Just had to reply to say that in the few hours he's been here the main integration and bonding has been done with my DOG! My dog is the most viscious / unpopular in the neighbourhood but has been won over !!!!! by a Tunisian. Got to be a message in there somewhere haha.
Have taken 3 days off work. Appreciate what you say Jane about introducing them to others gradually. Going to stay local today - perhaps just a bit of dog walking!
Good luck to everyone who's waiting.

Jane BM

Hi MM, Jane and all.
Really pleased to hear MMs and Janes hubbies have settled so well. I've been searching for updates in anticipation of my 'arrival' yesterday. Have been trying to clean up / clear wardrobe space all week despite raging chest infection. Jane, unlike you I had to battle the weather yesterday for the trip to Heathrow to get him - 5 hour round trip. And have lost my voice!! How lucky for him as he arrives! Just had to reply to say that in the few hours he's been here the main integration and bonding has been done with my DOG! My dog is the most viscious / unpopular in the neighbourhood but has been won over !!!!! by a Tunisian. Got to be a message in there somewhere haha.
Have taken 3 days off work. Appreciate what you say Jane about introducing them to others gradually. Going to stay local today - perhaps just a bit of dog walking!
Good luck to everyone who's waiting.
Really pleased for you too Kangaroo....yep slowly slowly is definitely the way forward me thinks...

Dont envy you that trek yesterday....

Good luck with it all hon....keep me posted. xx

maynardlynne

i remember my first winter in tunisia (south)...my in-laws just had clay pots, burning chalkole.
i hogged them for 24/7:D
sleeping with my clothes on and 2 thick blankets.
my mother in law had seen the bad weather in london on tv yesterday, so she phoned to see if we were well wrapped up:D......bless her.
good for us that we do have heating and that we have missed the snow up here in the north east;)

Nainai

Its very hard for the elderly and the poor families to have heating. Gas here is still few and far between and most people in the older houses dont have central heating. Its very sad but i wonder if they really moan cuz its all they've ever known. Those in the North have it much harder than others and I believe there sld be more done to help them out.

We have made the decision to have central heating put in this week rather than waiting for next winter. We are now on the look out for decent radiators etc.
Just spoke to hubby and he is in he north. The temp there is exactly the same as here today 3 degrees. :-0 and many places in the north with lots of snow too.

kangaroo

That's nice to hear the hubbies are settling in. It's my hubby's first day here too after arriving with absolutely no problems at Hearhrow yesterday afternoon - he's just here for a visit at moment after we got visit visa on appeal. He's still asleep at the moment so will see what today has in store. Luckily I live very near the airport so no travel problems. Nearly had a bit of trouble at Tunis cos hubby only had a one way ticket which apparently is against Tune rules. Luckily the desk decided to let it go when I explained it would not be a problem at the uk end and that I worked for the Govt and showed him some correspondence i'd had with UkBA which confirmed hubby's entry clearance. I was not sure if we would have to get hubby a 60 Tnd exit stamp as he is on a visit but an officer there said was not necessary if we showed marriage cert which we did. At heathrow we were lucky too- I went off to the EU lanesnd cleared then waited for hubby to come through the "others" lane which had a masssive queue. Then an immigration officer who had dealt with me on the Eu lane walked past and asked if I was waiting for someone. when I told her my husband she said he could have come through with me. Then she opened up one of the emPty desks and called him through. Maybe not all UkBA personnel are evil!

Hubby didn't bring that many posssesssions- but he did bring about a dozen mini cabs of Harissa just in case - I'm near loads of ethnic shoPs so should be able to restock easily enough.
Funny things so far- him never having heard a washing machine on full spin before, him seeing the foxes footprints in the snow in the garden and saying he wants to kill it and skin it ( I don't think so!!). Any way off to wake him up.
Hi JC - we may have rubbed shoulders yesterday then! My b/f did have to pay the 60 TD exit stamp! Lucky I'd stressed to him that he'd need money for this. Hopefully your hubby is now up. Mine has gone to bed haha! But we've had a hard day dog-walking and him marvelling at the vast number of charity shops / bargains to be had locally along with the truly unforgetable experience of a super large Tesco. Made him a nice simple stew for supper last night - bit of chilli thrown in to make him happy. It was finished off today with relish after the addition of half a jar of harissa from Tesco! Guess I failed that then.

Essem

Staff member
Icy cold wind here today in Hammam Sousse!

C

Cas

Going to be a shock to their system Wednesday Night down to -10c everywhere. Prepare them well lol

Jellycat

Hi JC - we may have rubbed shoulders yesterday then! My b/f did have to pay the 60 TD exit stamp! Lucky I'd stressed to him that he'd need money for this. Hopefully your hubby is now up. Mine has gone to bed haha! But we've had a hard day dog-walking and him marvelling at the vast number of charity shops / bargains to be had locally along with the truly unforgetable experience of a super large Tesco. Made him a nice simple stew for supper last night - bit of chilli thrown in to make him happy. It was finished off today with relish after the addition of half a jar of harissa from Tesco! Guess I failed that then.
My hubby was mesmerised by the displays of beer and wine in our big Asda. We loaded up a few cans for him along with some halal meat -lol his version of Islam is all about compromise. Fine with me. He's registered with a gym so he has something to do when I'm at work and he's going to cook every night - he's good at it and enjoys it.

ROULLA

I hope with you that he get it in time Roulla!

Do you maybe know if there is a family member who is going to be the donor, or is there no match within the family? Or maybe because they didn't get any help before here in Tunisia, the family isn't tested I think...?
Hi Netniet hope that you and your husband are both well! I don't know the whereabouts this lady will be staying but I will find out for you. Thought about everything you said and weighed the scales but still feel that I need to help as much as I can but try and help others as well along the way, so share in other words what I would have done for one person if that makes any sence.:)

ROULLA

Really?? :( Do you reckon people are coping well?? Or like here,where there are concerns regarding the elderly and people on low incomes, making the difficult choice between eating or keeping warm, it's a sad predicament to be in, in any case!
Hi Soleil hope that you and your family are well! Here pensioners get from £100 to £300 towards their fuel bills for the coldest months of the year plus they have started another scheme where the Electricity company ask you to reply to a letter, you then give them your NI number and if they think that you are eligible they knock off £120 off your electricity bill for the next 3 years plus there is the home help scheme where someone comes to your house from the energy save company and places things like a new thermal for your boiler or they place bristles around your door frames to keep the heat in and advice you on how to keep your home warm but all of this is for the elderly where as in Tunisia they don't get help like this which is really sad to be honest with you.

ROULLA

Hi Everyone hope that you are all in good health! Just incase no one saw this Essem placed this on the headlines, so thank you Essem.

For all of you expats here who are looking for a different way to celebrate St Valentine’s Day with your loved one, this evening is not to be missed.
YOu might t;hink there’s nothing new about dinner plus illusions (!) but for the first time ever in Sousse, illusionist Anis Gharbi will perform his illusions during a specially planned dinner on St Valentine’s night, Tuesday 14th February at 21.00 in the Barocco Restaurant, Fleur de The, Soviva Hotel & Resort, PEK.
Cost for the evening is 80TD per person.
For further information and to book call 24766766 or call in at Fleur de The.

lainie

ooh, book me in
oh no, im here and so is the food monster!!

maynardlynne

i love my kenco blue top:) even hubby likes it and also uses milk now:)
hopefully, no more stained teeth:D