Converting to Islam

kattykat

Just out of interest has anyone converted to Islam either because of their interest in Tunisia or due to husband/boyfriend being of the Muslim religion.
Over my few years of visiting I've become more interested in the culture & would just be interested to chat to anyone who's converted & any problems or pros in doing this. Look forward to the replys .. Kat x

Bigbrother

Hi Kat! How ya doing? :) Its an interesting topic. I've got my own faith which I'm getting more and more into right now and couldn't see myself converting, although I am interested in learning more about Islam. Although me and hubby have different religions it hasn't created any issues so far. I see both religions as equal. I think problems occur when children become involved!

Bigbrother

For me in the ideal world the children would know both religions then decide when they know better, but easier said than done!

sparkle

i agree big brother, let the children choose, my kids will learn about the religion then make there own choices. I will not tolerate preaching of any sort either.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Me I have no problems and worst be of converting (as all things in Tunisia) was the paperwork.

Its a lovely laid back religion especially in Tunisia and i have had no problems.

I am not the most religious person but I find that compatible with islam as unlike many things it is a practical religion in which you do not follow or judge anyone aside from allah (god).

Even the prophet Mohammed (pbuh) said I am only a man. I respect someone who says that even when in charge of a religion with thousands of people following him as it would have been easy to say I am a god or something along those lines which many great leader of men have done over history.

You do not find popes etc in islam and even an Imam is simply a respected religious resource not your boss or your leader this I like.

Bigbrother

what if they choose Islam :)

feefad

I've not converted but from what I know of the religion kris sums it all up pretty well. I do think that children need some religious guidance and so I probably would inflict religion on my children before they are old enough to decide for themselves. Would probably need to learn more about it for myself before then but at the moment I'd quite happily have my children brought up Muslim.

I have let my religion lapse but was brought up going to church every week. I know it's not quite the same but christiantity in itself is probably a bigger issue in the West of Scotland (where I come from). My mum and dad are of the catholic / protestant divide and we were always brought up to treat everyone as equals no matter what the religion.

We all believe in the same God at the end of the day.

Trulymadlydeeply

Maybe Im wrong but from what I understand my son is automatically muslim in Tunisia as his father is Tunisian?? Is this correct? I am Catholic although not a practising one.:eek: His father has never taken our son to a Mosque he does not speak Arabic and he was not cir***cised. My son says he believes in Jesus and thats cool with me. He will find his own faith.

feefad

have absolutely no idea on that one truly.

Also want to add that religion is a personal thing, not critising those with different views from me on the subject, just giving my opinion on it :)

Bigbrother

Trulymadlydeeply, if he was born and living in Tunisia I guest he’d be classified as Muslim, but living in London for example, I guest it would be the parent/child’s decision and/or law of the country?

Bigbrother

you'd have to check out the legalities to be sure!

Bigbrother

easy solution ask your husband about it, he shoud know ..

lapinos

Nicola said:
it cant be the law that you are born a muslim out there....Kris might know,,,?
I may be wrong but I think children in Tunisia are automatically considered to be muslim. My husband isn't a practising muslim although he likes going to Friday prayer when we're in Tunisia, but he does worry about me going to hell because I'm not a muslim. I'm a Humanist so wouldn't convert as don't believe in any god whatever faith.

Trulymadlydeeply

Have as little to do with him as possible but will always be in my life coz of our son. I think he has just got his own laws...!! Thanks for all the replies folks what will be will be I suppose.

sb123

Hi All

Just thought i would add to the conversation my hubby and i have been together for quite a few years now and can honestly say we have not had any problems with the differences in our religions.I made sure that before we were married i read all about islam and felt it only empowered me with knowledge and understanding.I do think that it is cultural beliefs that sometimes get mixed up with religion that cause a lot of confusion.Do i have a great interest in islam yes am i going to convert i dont feel the need at present and would not do it for anyone else.I send anyone thinking of converting my best wishes as i do find islam a interesting religion.

regards sb123

feefad

great way to put it sb :)

Jenny

Maybe Im wrong but from what I understand my son is automatically muslim in Tunisia as his father is Tunisian??
Hi Truly,
According to Islam is the child becoming muslim if the father is a muslim. Just like children to a jewish mother becomes jewish, according to the jewish religion.

This means that according to the religions a child with a muslim father and a jewish mother (theoretically possible according to the religions, but perhaps not so common on the real world) would automatically be both ;)

Jenny

aynbunni

reversion to Islam

Having spent many years in military service, and experienced the horrors of man's inhumanity to his fellow being, I became disillusioned with my Christian upbringing. I had been able to view the religions of the world and found solice and understanding in Hinduism and Islam. These are not only religions, but are a way of life and the faith is lived on a daily basis. As no one can convert to Hinduism, you have to be born into the faith; I was left to consider Islam, and having studied it's concepts and understood it's tenets, I made the conversion by uttering with conviction The Shahada. " I believe Allah (SWT)is the one true God, and Mohammad,(Peace and Blessings Upon Him) is his Prophet", this in principle makes me a secular Muslim, and adherence to the 5 pillars of the Faith would make me a Spiritual Muslim, a state I have yet to achieve.
So in response to the thread, although generally accepted in Islamic cultural circles, that the children of a Muslim father are culturally Muslim, unless they have conviction of the Faith, I cannot see that they would be Spiritual Muslims, no matter what their upbringing.

woudlg

What Aynbunni says is right - even if we as mothers didn't want our children to be Muslim, in the eyes of all other Muslims they are (because a child born to a muslim father is automatically muslim by paternity). The crucial point is whether our hubbies view themselves as true muslim and what it actually means to be muslim (ie. in terms of the way they live their lives and adhere to the 5 pillars of Islam) - I would imagine that several of them have very entrenched cultural value systems views and traditions, by virtue of their upbringing, but don't pray, attend a mosque etc. So, in my own personal view, it's more important to establish how you as parents intend to raise a child and how culture/religion might directly impact upon the decisions you make - whether that's being labelled as 'muslim' or whatever. I'd advise anyone to have this discussion before marriage (premature as that may seem!) as it can undoubtedly cause massive problems if neither party is aware that they hold very strong opposing beliefs about issues such as what the child should be named (this is important in Islam), cir***cision etc.

feefad

I'd advise anyone to have this discussion before marriage (premature as that may seem!) as it can undoubtedly cause massive problems if neither party is aware that they hold very strong opposing beliefs about issues such as what the child should be named (this is important in Islam), cir***cision etc.

Totally agree woudlg, whether it's a Tunisian or not getting married. Religion is quite an important and personal factor in lives and a commitment such as marriage should not be entered into without giving these things consideration. i dont think it seems premature at all, as soon as my husband and I realised we were serious about each other, this was one of the inevitable conversations we had. I dont thinnk I personally would have married without having these sort of discussions or heart to hearts as I dont think I would have felt that I really knew the person i was marrying.