Converting to Islam

ROULLA

I myself don't live by religion. I live by a relationship with God. Religion hurts people in many ways.
Eternity is a loooong time to not even consider it. Don't dwell on it but know that it does exist for everyone.
Everyone is allowed their opinion. I give my opinion by experience. My son was killed by someone 3 years ago. He will never know his children, we will never receive another hug from him on earth. I have forgiven this young man but he will never get caught. My son augured with someone at a gas station who had a knife. Personally, I would hope that if this person doesn't receive judgement on Earth then he will receive it in front of his maker. Eternity is a long time for someone, who doesn't ask for forgiveness.
To think that this man can turn his life to good after realizing what he did and then he'll go to Heaven... I would hope that this wouldn't happen because then all those who do strive to be good, it's a waste of time, because if someone who commits murder can just enter into heaven for changing their life around for the better, there's no justice in that.
Hi Raindrops hope that you are well! I am so sorry for your lost, I truly am . I think that I would have questioned if there was a god maybe that would be wrong of me but that is how I feel. So many good people are taken away one way or another and so many bad people are still on earth, I don't get it. But what I do believe is that the day will come when the person who done this to your son will be punished one way or another.

missmetal

Sorry lady, just don't agree with this.

For a lack of a better word 'evil, sin' or whatever has co-existed since the beginning of time. And religion did nothing to help it. Look at the crusades....how was that 'godly'? Look at the Islamic invasion in Persia? How was that 'godly'? How many wars caused by religion?

The difference between then and now is technology. Today it's more in your face whereas before it was more hidden. Not having a religious background or upbringing does not guarantee you a healthy life as an adult? Teaching values etc might come from religion...I don't know. But it's a good start,but there's still no guarantee. That's just DNA.

I agree that no one should pose their believes on others but then we raise our children, we pose our values and believes on them everyday. We need to or they will grow up to be disfuctional human beings who have no respect for themselves or others. Children will grow up doing only 10% of what they see us doing. If they don't see us praying, worshiping God or taking them to church then they won't do it when they are older. We have beautiful churches around the world that are empty because the generation before us thought it not important to teach their children the importance of attending. As our children grow, it will be worse as this generation of adults believe that we shouldn't pose our believes on our kids, that anything goes and it's better to teach them to grow up to become who they want to be and do what they want to do. Then we wonder why there is so much crime in this world and so many dishonest people. Marriages breaking up and people who think it's OK to use women for Visas and money. I wonder what would happen to these men/women even 60 years ago who tried such dishonest practices?

missmetal

This I agree, it annoys me that we have to call it 'the holidays' not sure why we can't just accept everyone's holidays, and as this is a country created on Christian values then it should be Christmas holidays. If it were Hindu, we'd get hindu holidays or whatever.

Too much guilt from the west from conquering so many nations I guess

I thought this was only in North America that people have become so politically correct that people have become afraid to speak out.

People are starting to stand up and in fact, the government is starting to listen, trying to keep Canadian laws and traditions in Canada. Yes, children should be taught to be tolerant of others but not at the expense of their own identity and family traditions. Most schools were forbidden to name the plays "Christmas Play" but this year especially I have noticed they went back to calling them as they are. Parents are starting to speak out, I'm one of them, I am offended by not having someone say "Merry Christmas" to me because it may offend someone else. I have lived in Canada all my live, a Country that was founded on Christian believes and celebrated Christmas for decades. I'm offended/mad that it's against the law to carry a blade longer then an inch on you, yet Sikh children are allowed to take daggers to school for religious purposes. What is up with that??? It's a shame to the people that their government is crumbling and not speaking out.

I am to old to start being politically correct and don't attend to be. It's not teaching our kids to stand up for their rights, to have confidence and teaching them to doubt their thinking. Fear will grow very deep in the next generation to the point government will be able to do what they want and no one will be able to do anything about it, if people don't speak out.

I encourage people all the time to speak out. If your going to complain, then stand up for your rights. If enough people complain then things do change. Don't be afraid. If people get offended, that's their issue.

C

Cas

These are really interesting points, I have been thinking hard about Raindrops posts and have every sympathy for her terrible loss. Having two sons,if I experienced that a big part of my life would be over. I also do think I know what she is saying about lack of religious "structure" in kids lives mean they have less chance of knowing right from wrong.
Also fully get what you are saying MM looking at the historical broader picture of religion, which I believe has to be considered in a different view for this purpose.
As my Husbands SIL is a councillor with First Nations bands for the Cariboo you will understand when I say that Canada had already a religion and belief system in place long before Christianity or any other religion landed on it`s shores. It has evolved into one that we all could examine and maybe adopt.
I am continuing to reread these posts I do have views on this topic but not comprehensively one way or the other.

Reba1986

Well said Raindrops 2000, think a lot of people will totally agree with you. I think even our own Government now are starting to realise the errors of the past god knows how many years but it is going to take time now to change WITHOUT offending someone or other.....or being branded racist which personally i think is a word that is bandied around far too easily (its a cop out!).
Oh how I hate the "r" word like you said, its all too easily bandied around when someone doesnt like what they are hearing/being told what to do.

caveatemptor

Most religeons seem to be based on what is supposed to have been written down many centuries ago based on stories told and re-told hundreds of years later, and we all know the embellishments that can happen there. Highly educated people at the time were held in awe by the simple people so what they were told they believed. Karl Marx said that religeon is the opium of the masses and is a way of controlling the population, in some cases by fear of eternal damnation, or fear of persecution torture and death. The Spanish Inquisition and Spanish conquest of Latin America used these tactics to good effect.
Should we all believe such outdated writings and let them govern our lives? Put me down as a don`t know.

Essem

Staff member
'religion is the opium of the masses and is a way of controlling the population' - absolutely IMO
keeps people in their places.

lainie

This is where we differ slightly, i was christened a Catholic, although quite obviously im not a practising Catholic... however i do think people get too preoccupied by 'what comes after'. I dont think people should worry too much about whats after (am sure some will vehemently disapprove of that!), its this lifetime that is important to me right now and how we live our lives in the here and now...the after that will take care of itself and if people have lived the kind of life that we described before with humility, respect, dignity etc then really there should be nothing to worry about..............
like jane i was brought up catholic, now semi-practising (in a big irish household, lol) but living the west cost of scotland which is well known for the protestant/catholic divide which years ago meant when my father (who was church of scotland but converted on marriage!) applied for jobs he was turne down or accepted on religion.

i am delighted to mix up the religion a bit more in our family and hope like jane that i try to lead a charitable life showing respect and kindness for others. its what you do on earth, NATURALLY, not chalking out points for the afterlife because thats not genuine then.

i'm not saint of course, after all i moved away from my true faith but only to draw nearer to the beliefs of my husband and i hope vice versa.

C

Cas

'religion is the opium of the masses and is a way of controlling the population' - absolutely IMO
keeps people in their places.
I can go along with a little more of "Marxisms lol". Something I think about though is believing in nothing but living by a "good heart" - great admirable but this does not seem to be working for everyone. As people have turned away from ancient traditional takes on religion I think it`s known that they are seeking something but many don`t seem to quite know what. This may be for some part of the reason behind sampling other religions other than those you grew up with, along with many "new age" beliefs.

Milk

Thank you for your kind words. I will try to respond to all those that commented

No, I never doubted God once after my son died. My house is built on a solid foundation of Jesus Christ who is my Rock. I did however become very angry with him after the shock wore off. I cursed up a storm and called him every name in the book, asked him "Why". Just like Job did in the bible. When I was done, I literally felt the presence of God's Love enfold me. After this Jesus healed my wounds, gave me strength to carry on, brought the joy back into my life and I have hope and reassurance that I will see my son again in Heaven. I have never gotten a "Why" but many miracles and different things have happened since than that have given me reasons of "why". Things happen for a reason, sometimes tragic things for a greater purpose. We do miss him greatly, our healing has and will continue to happen for us everyday.

I can write/talk for a long time of all that has taken place but I won't. Recently, I wrote my testimony out and was able to share a piece of it on the radio to 22 major cities and it's posted on their site. This was a wonderful New Years Gift.

I believe that repentance needs to be on done on earth before seeing God. I hope this young man has a chance in his life time to come to know repentance and know the healing that God has for him. I know that my son will be the first to greet him at the Pearly Gates. My son loved hugs. He was so funny in doing it as well. Out of no where, he would get up from sitting and start hugging people. He was a fine young man who was loved my many. I also believe that no sin is greater or less then someone else and when we get into Heaven, I believe that we are equal if we have repented that is. I would hate to see anybody be thrown into hell for not repenting, eternity is a long time.

I to don't like Religion. It hurts people, causes war, makes people stop believing in anything that has to do with God and causes break ups in families. I have a relationship with a God who brings the opposite of religion. My son's taught me this after I became a Christian, I was full of the rules but they taught me to lighten up and focus on just having a relationship. Brings a feeling of Freedom. After experiencing the rules and do not's I can see how people can use Religion to control. Of course there are guidelines in every religion so that people don't hurt themselves and other people, which is good to have. The grace of God is a wonderful thing to have that is freely given, but taken from us, when we have to follow rules as we never get to fully understand what the Grace of God is. People, and I see it in the community I live in, live in bondage because they live by so many rules, the relationship with God becomes hindered and stopped, because the focus is on the rules and not Him. It's very hard to experience Gods Presence when you don't have a relationship, and religion is about rules.

Your right missmetal, technology does not help, it has made things worse, I believe. Especially for kids growing up in a single home, they get their values and believes from what they watch on TV, from their peer groups and what they see others doing. Values and believes come from all different sources, not just growing up in home with religion. But I have seen more kids growing up getting their values/believes from technology then any other source as many of them interact with it more then they do with their families. These kids lack wisdom that a father would give to them. Very sad.

janebenmohamed you didn't offend me. Thank you for your concern and words Know that I don't get offended to easily. I figure if I'm not going to be politically correct then I can't worry about being offended myself.

OK, my opinion and a bit more.
www.rainhemp.com

Jane BM

And very eloquently put...and amazing to see that even after all that you have been through personally that your faith in God hasnt wavered....but reinforced. If only the world was full of likeminded people it would be a much more fulfilling passage for all...instead of full of conflict as we too often see. I do also believe in another virtue we should all keep hold of and thats HOPE. Cant live without hope. x

Amy Ben Salem

i think that religion is a good thing to have in your life from a young age. i was christened and brought up going to church and sunday school, however when i became old enough i choose to believe what i wanted, i no longer went to church. i did not believe in god - it was not cool if you like. a had a friend die and my dad died and i just couldnt see how there was a god. my mum also stopped going to her christian church, she is now a spiritualist and believes in the other world. in the past i have been to mediums to try and speak to my dad as i miss him very much, yeah she said stuff only i could know but i was still not 100% as my dad would not always come through, so id think if he was there, why not come through, my mum explains there are many spirits in the room and so on. i went before my wedding and was told my dad and my nan were very happy and trust and believe that josef (my husband) is a good person and they will be there on my big day, this was very comforting. however since living in Tunisia for 6weeks i become very interested in Islam and that way of life, i went and bought a copy of the kor'an in English and i am starting to read this, however i find it very difficult to understand and remember :confused: so i guess maybe i will convert later in life, its good to believe in something, right? my husband has not put anything on me and has always said its your life. as i dont preach or believe a religion at present i feel my children will probably be brought up muslim as josef has stronger feelings on religion and it means something to him, although he does not follow all the paths as he should, i know he will in a few years time go back to it, how he has been brought up, i feel i may follow and teach my children as best as possible and then let them choose their life like i have. my mum will support my decision whatever i choose, as its my life :) reading up about Islam also makes me want to understand a little about all the religions a bit more. this has been a good read ;)

lynn

I go to the Christian Spiritulist Church as thats what I belive , I also do readings for people and I never charge I believe it's a gift and I don't think people should charge for readings if they were blessed to pass on messeges...

Amy Ben Salem

I go to the Christian Spiritulist Church as thats what I belive , I also do readings for people and I never charge I believe it's a gift and I don't think people should charge for readings if they were blessed to pass on messeges...
exactly the same as my mum, as long as people are happy in what they believe then thats good :)

deblee71

Thank you for your kind words. I will try to respond to all those that commented

No, I never doubted God once after my son died. My house is built on a solid foundation of Jesus Christ who is my Rock. I did however become very angry with him after the shock wore off. I cursed up a storm and called him every name in the book, asked him "Why". Just like Job did in the bible. When I was done, I literally felt the presence of God's Love enfold me. After this Jesus healed my wounds, gave me strength to carry on, brought the joy back into my life and I have hope and reassurance that I will see my son again in Heaven. I have never gotten a "Why" but many miracles and different things have happened since than that have given me reasons of "why". Things happen for a reason, sometimes tragic things for a greater purpose. We do miss him greatly, our healing has and will continue to happen for us everyday.

I can write/talk for a long time of all that has taken place but I won't. Recently, I wrote my testimony out and was able to share a piece of it on the radio to 22 major cities and it's posted on their site. This was a wonderful New Years Gift.

I believe that repentance needs to be on done on earth before seeing God. I hope this young man has a chance in his life time to come to know repentance and know the healing that God has for him. I know that my son will be the first to greet him at the Pearly Gates. My son loved hugs. He was so funny in doing it as well. Out of no where, he would get up from sitting and start hugging people. He was a fine young man who was loved my many. I also believe that no sin is greater or less then someone else and when we get into Heaven, I believe that we are equal if we have repented that is. I would hate to see anybody be thrown into hell for not repenting, eternity is a long time.

I to don't like Religion. It hurts people, causes war, makes people stop believing in anything that has to do with God and causes break ups in families. I have a relationship with a God who brings the opposite of religion. My son's taught me this after I became a Christian, I was full of the rules but they taught me to lighten up and focus on just having a relationship. Brings a feeling of Freedom. After experiencing the rules and do not's I can see how people can use Religion to control. Of course there are guidelines in every religion so that people don't hurt themselves and other people, which is good to have. The grace of God is a wonderful thing to have that is freely given, but taken from us, when we have to follow rules as we never get to fully understand what the Grace of God is. People, and I see it in the community I live in, live in bondage because they live by so many rules, the relationship with God becomes hindered and stopped, because the focus is on the rules and not Him. It's very hard to experience Gods Presence when you don't have a relationship, and religion is about rules.

Your right missmetal, technology does not help, it has made things worse, I believe. Especially for kids growing up in a single home, they get their values and believes from what they watch on TV, from their peer groups and what they see others doing. Values and believes come from all different sources, not just growing up in home with religion. But I have seen more kids growing up getting their values/believes from technology then any other source as many of them interact with it more then they do with their families. These kids lack wisdom that a father would give to them. Very sad.

janebenmohamed you didn't offend me. Thank you for your concern and words Know that I don't get offended to easily. I figure if I'm not going to be politically correct then I can't worry about being offended myself.

OK, my opinion and a bit more.
www.rainhemp.com
Hi Raindrops,

Firstly, I'd like to echo the other ladies on here in saying how sorry I am for the loss of your son. How one copes with the loss of a child I can't imagine!

I've found this thread extremely interesting, as it is fascinating hearing about everyones' different beliefs.
I personally am not religious but do believe there is some kind of power out there but I'm not sure as yet what that is! However, I am totally open to all religions and keep an open mind about all of them. Unfortunately for me I need to see some concrete evidence before I can believe in a 'god' as such. I'm not embarrased to say that and I certainly respect those that do.

Your posts in particular are very enlightning although I am a little confused by your post that states '...especially for kids growing up in a single home, they get their values and beliefs from what they watch on tv, from their peer groups and what they see others doing...'. I don't understand your quote. Could you please clarify for me? What about the single parent? Does the child not learn from them?

Thanks
Debxx

Han402

I had an amazing experience I will never be able to explain! One Sunday evening in 2010 someone walked upto me in a hotel while I was working and asked me a question - before I knew it he was talking to me about personal things that not even I knew at the time i.e. my brother was taking a sailing course. He also talked about family members that had died before I was born (I am soo incredably lucky as I still have 2 great grandparents alive and all my grandparents), he talked about people and discribed them to me just as I remembered them.

It was an AMAZING experience and I will never forget that person even though I could never find a record of them at the hotel and had never seen them before or after.... It all confuses me to be honest but it was by far reall and 100% true. Without going into to much detail it was at a time in my life when I needed a kick up the a... and someone to agree with what I was thinking.

C

Cas

Who do you think it could have been ?

Han402

You mean who was talking to me that day? I don't know.. It was supposed to be a guest but I have no idea... who was there with him?... my great grandfathers' 1 I have met and 1 that died before I was born (he told me he could see him rowing a boat and that he was from Southport - I had to check where he was from but I knew he drowned when my granny was 7....) My greatnana (he told me she was sat in a chair with perfect lipstick and a blanket over her knees... which she certainly did!) He didn't tell me the relationships just the people and what they were like.... and he got it right. He also told me what was wrong with a sick relative when my family hadn't told me. There was more and I could go on for ages about it.

I really have no idea who he is /was but he knew more than he should of done about me.

Han402

He didn't want a penny either... the first question was about how to get to the airport as they didnt have transfers so I told them in return Id let them get on my hubbies coach that evening as he was working on thier flight... they were nowhere to be seen when he went to hotel and reception said no taxis had left recently.... I don't believe in god and I put a post earlier about how we deal with religion in our house hold but it definatly comforts me to think if needed people will find you!

lynn

I had an amazing experience I will never be able to explain! One Sunday evening in 2010 someone walked upto me in a hotel while I was working and asked me a question - before I knew it he was talking to me about personal things that not even I knew at the time i.e. my brother was taking a sailing course. He also talked about family members that had died before I was born (I am soo incredably lucky as I still have 2 great grandparents alive and all my grandparents), he talked about people and discribed them to me just as I remembered them.

It was an AMAZING experience and I will never forget that person even though I could never find a record of them at the hotel and had never seen them before or after.... It all confuses me to be honest but it was by far reall and 100% true. Without going into to much detail it was at a time in my life when I needed a kick up the a... and someone to agree with what I was thinking.
sounds really amazing x