Cost of Hotel

Milk

I was wondering if it's cheaper to book a hotel on-line before I come to Tunisia or wait til I get there?

What is the average price I will be looking at for a hotel per night in the different towns? I'll be driving from Tunis to Gafsa and wanting to take about a week to get there, just want to take my time. I probably won't even need that much time as Tunisia is so small. I compared the sq miles of Tunisia to the province I live in within Canada. Tunisia fits inside the province comfortably.

Also thinking of renting a place in Tunis well I am visiting. Cost will probably be cheaper and more comfortable. Are people able to rent fully furnished flats for a couple of weeks?

Trulymadlydeeply

You can rent apartments that will have all you need, shorter the stay the higher the cost. Most hotels are not to full capacity yet so you should be able to book in for a night or two, as you are driving would you know exactly where you are going to be to book before you go??

Essem

Staff member
Hi Raindrops,

This site might help if you're thinking of renting esp. in the Tunis area.

http://www.tecnocasa.tn/

Re. hotels - you might find better rates on internet but if you're travelling with your other half and you know which hotels you'd like to stay in, they might give you a better 'resident's rate', worth asking. And I guess prices will depend on whether it's high, mid or low season and what star rating you choose.

lainie

hi raindrops
i have always found hotel prices to be cheaper online than asking at reception

hotel diplomat in tunis fine

missmetal

I was wondering if it's cheaper to book a hotel on-line before I come to Tunisia or wait til I get there?

What is the average price I will be looking at for a hotel per night in the different towns? I'll be driving from Tunis to Gafsa and wanting to take about a week to get there, just want to take my time. I probably won't even need that much time as Tunisia is so small. I compared the sq miles of Tunisia to the province I live in within Canada. Tunisia fits inside the province comfortably.

Also thinking of renting a place in Tunis well I am visiting. Cost will probably be cheaper and more comfortable. Are people able to rent fully furnished flats for a couple of weeks?
Hi Raindrops,

I have always used this site for booking online, it gives whole sale prices. Its only for the resorts, so Tunis in the downtown area you will have to book on Expedia perhaps.
http://www.directline-hotels.co.uk/

cinders

hi raindrops
i have always found hotel prices to be cheaper online than asking at reception

hotel diplomat in tunis fine
yep i would defo agree with you you lainie ...
i have had many a conversation with receptionist trying to get them to understand
that ..wouldnt it be better if i booked with them direct with instant cash as oppose
to booking through agent were they wait for their money plus only get a cut of it
whoosh right over their head :eek: no business acumen i find :(

lainie

yep i would defo agree with you you lainie ...
i have had many a conversation with receptionist trying to get them to understand
that ..wouldnt it be better if i booked with them direct with instant cash as oppose
to booking through agent were they wait for their money plus only get a cut of it
whoosh right over their head :eek: no business acumen i find :(
yup cinders
had that convo and wanted to bang head off counter - instead used their free wifi and booked via octuous travel there and then and showed them lappy screen as booking confirmation.
they bamboozled!

cinders

yup cinders
had that convo and wanted to bang head off counter - instead used their free wifi and booked via octuous travel there and then and showed them lappy screen as booking confirmation.
they bamboozled!
yeh ive done the same Lainie ..used their pc to book with online agent and they let me
stay although they didnt get email confirmation till next day :confused:
they just dont get it do they ;)

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I always say online owner of hotels are seldom near them and dont allow staff to make discounts or decisions themselves.

You might be lucky but better to have the booking than to wander about.

annibee

when we stayed at emira with marhaba in may they wanted to stay another 2 days so they asked at reception and was about 25 dinar a night each so they went on internet and booked throught travel republic for £6 each a night lol

Milk

WoW! Even 25 dinar is cheap (Canadian conversion) I'll wait til I get there then book on-line. When I look on-line my prices are about $50-100/night. Better to give the money to an agent in Tunisia, rather then in Canada, any day!!

They do the same here, you get cheaper prices on-line, it's because the agents buy in bulk and then they get a wholesale discount from the head office of the company that owns the chain of hotels. Same for when you book a flight, way better to do it on-line.

Also sounds like it would be cheaper to stay at a hotel then rent a house. Still 5 weeks away till I leave. I cant' wait, I'm so excited!!

annibee

WoW! Even 25 dinar is cheap (Canadian conversion) I'll wait til I get there then book on-line. When I look on-line my prices are about $50-100/night. Better to give the money to an agent in Tunisia, rather then in Canada, any day!!

They do the same here, you get cheaper prices on-line, it's because the agents buy in bulk and then they get a wholesale discount from the head office of the company that owns the chain of hotels. Same for when you book a flight, way better to do it on-line.

Also sounds like it would be cheaper to stay at a hotel then rent a house. Still 5 weeks away till I leave. I cant' wait, I'm so excited!!
definetly cheaper than renting an apartment they are about £25 a night for a crap one

cinders

hi raindrops
have you checked out sites like Travel Republic and On The Beach also UlookUBook ? these are the ones
i always use from UK ofcourse ..dont know if prices change if enquiring from different country ...surely not
though :eek: but either way im sure you will have a fab time :cool:

Milk

Thank you Cinders for the sites. Are the prices in..Euro?

When booking, what is a room with half or full board? I've never heard of this term before when booking a room.

KheeKhee

Thank you Cinders for the sites. Are the prices in..Euro?

When booking, what is a room with half or full board? I've never heard of this term before when booking a room.
I can 'translate' for you as a fellow Canuck:) half board means it includes breakfast and dinner (no lunch) full board means breakfast, lunch and dinner meals included.!

Milk

Great!! Such as all inclusive, just using a different term for it. Thank you!!

Milk

One more question... What hotel is recommended that is close to Tunis or tunis, sea view with meals included

KheeKhee

Great!! Such as all inclusive, just using a different term for it. Thank you!!
aaah... not quite, all inclusive is different again Raindrops! that means literally everything is included, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, tea, coffee, ice cream, drinks, alcohol no limit (usually). Some extras such as hairdresser/massage/beauty in the hotel would NOT be included in all inclusive.
So there is to choose from: room only, bed and breakfast, half board, full board and all inclusive, 5 options.:)

Milk

Are there bus or a train that goes from Hammamet to Tunis? The cheap all exclusive hotels seem to be in towns outside of Tunis so I'm wondering how hard it is to travel from the cities.

Thanks missmetal for the site, really cheap prices but as you said, nothing to close to Tunis. Hammanet was the closest town listed for hotels

annibee

trains run from hammamet to tunis but not many a day. we got louage it was very cheap and took about an hour