couple of questions regarding divorce

zoster

Firstly I apologise if these questions have already been asked.. I've not been on here for many years.. I got married in tunisia in 2009 he came over here we had a child in 2011 split in 2012 after he got his ILR.. no surprise but I well over it.. had a few issues where by he has falsely reported me to social services took me to court about access to our child he seems to do things just make my life a continued misery. Anyway my question... all of a sudden he is asking for a divorce we both want to get divorced Do we have to get divorced formally in the uk?? Through the divorce courts?? Second question if he goes to tunisia and divorces me there of his own back will that divorce be legally valid in the uk ??and my biggest concern is that he could add childcare conditions that I wouldn't agree to without my consent.. please any advice would grateful many thanks xx

Jane BM

You can get divorced in either country, although it would be much cheaper to do it in Tunisia. If that was what you decided to do then personally if it was me, I'd instruct a solicitor over there to ensure that you did fully understand the terms of your divorce regarding children/assets. There are many who are English speakers. X

Trulymadlydeeply

I would say to divorce here and get British law to stipulate any access to your child. I also wouldn't allow him to take your child to Tunisia as once there you may not get him/her back!!!

zoster

Thankyou for your replies. We've been separated a while so makes me wonder he is up to something as suddenly wants a divorce he's refusing to pay in the uk as says tunisia cheaper which I agree probably is but my gut feeling just don't trust him as he is always doing things behind my back to make life difficult he too me to court where he had to see her at contact every other Saturday contact centre closed so we now meet at a public place every other week. I'm just worried he will go behind my back divorce me in tunisia without my consent and put something different in the divorce papers with regards to our child he wanted my birth certificate which I have refused. Thanks again xx

Trulymadlydeeply

Try to see a solicitor and get a Prohibited Steps Order. If he tried to leave the Uk with your daughter without your consent he would be arrested. However if he did get her Tunisia it wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on as they will not uphold our laws where children are concerned. Not sure how old your daughter is but you can give a copy to her nursery/school and they will not allow him to collect her.

zoster

Thankyou will look into this court did also give me parental responsibility too x

Trulymadlydeeply

It wouldn't be an offence if he took your daughter with you just having parental consent as he is her father. You must say he has threatened to take her to Tunisia and it will be granted.

Jane BM

Thankyou will look into this court did also give me parental responsibility too x
Remember as well that he can get your daughter a Tunisian passport without either your knowledge or consent so please exercise caution. X