Divorce - about to or have divorced a Tunisian

Burton

nothing changes. when i was living there it was common amongst the Nigerians and Kenyans to do that.
Yes seen it with my own eyes, Gambians spring to mind, seen my neighbour's post on the doorstep, so many different names or spellings for the same person.

Jane BM

So sadly my friends relationship has not worked out with her husband and so they are getting divorced. His settlement visa expires next year I think and I believe he's planning to stay in the UK. Can he be sponsored again by another Brit? I assume he'd have to leave the country as he's now in violation, and if he met another Brit he'd prob have to apply from Tunisia again. Anyone know about this at all?

Thanks
Ah that's such a shame.....does he have his ILR yet MM?

If he doesn't, well in theory he should return to Tunisia when his settlement runs out. As long as your friend does notify the UKBA that she's withdrawing sponsorship, then she's fulfilled her part. If he isn't working legitimately then I can't see UKBA working with him to stay here.

Is it an 'amicable' split, or do you think he'll stay here illegally ? From what you've said, there's no real grounds for him to stay here, no work, no children, no marriage.

missmetal

No he's not got ILR yet. No really amicable. He's not had much luck finding work and it caused a lot of tension between them especially because of the financial strain on her.

I don't think he wants to go back to Tunisia because it's just as grim there for work an now he's got this cash in hand job from a Muslim brother so you know it's meant to be now!! </end sarcasm>.

But I know he misses his family so I think he wants to visit as he's not been since coming to the UK almost 1.5 yrs now. I think as soon as he's signed the divorce papers she will let Ukba know. If he does get a legal job tho no one really checks anyone's visa status with the UKBA so even if she revoked her sponsorship he can slip under the radar. I was just curios if he could be sponsored again. And if so and he did not leave the country before after his last sponsorship I would find it hard that the UKBA would think it's legit.

Ah that's such a shame.....does he have his ILR yet MM?

If he doesn't, well in theory he should return to Tunisia when his settlement runs out. As long as your friend does notify the UKBA that she's withdrawing sponsorship, then she's fulfilled her part. If he isn't working legitimately then I can't see UKBA working with him to stay here.

Is it an 'amicable' split, or do you think he'll stay here illegally ? From what you've said, there's no real grounds for him to stay here, no work, no children, no marriage.

Jane BM

No he's not got ILR yet. No really amicable. He's not had much luck finding work and it caused a lot of tension between them especially because of the financial strain on her.

I don't think he wants to go back to Tunisia because it's just as grim there for work an now he's got this cash in hand job from a Muslim brother so you know it's meant to be now!! </end sarcasm>.

But I know he misses his family so I think he wants to visit as he's not been since coming to the UK almost 1.5 yrs now. I think as soon as he's signed the divorce papers she will let Ukba know. If he does get a legal job tho no one really checks anyone's visa status with the UKBA so even if she revoked her sponsorship he can slip under the radar. I was just curios if he could be sponsored again. And if so and he did not leave the country before after his last sponsorship I would find it hard that the UKBA would think it's legit.
I wouldn't imagine he'd simply be able to 'transfer' his sponsorship to someone else, for want of a better expression. Only circumstances I'd imagine which would go in his favour, which I completely wouldn't advocate would be if he had started a family with someone else!! Then it's the human rights and rights to family life blah blah blah!!

If he stayed illegally, he's seriously going to struggle ever getting to see his family in Tunisia.

He won't slip under the radar though, not yet, because he hasn't got his ILR, possibly if it was after. However if he came here after July 2012 he'd fall under the new regs which means FLR in a year or so, if it was prior to July 2012 then he'll be under the old regs and as such should be preparing for his ILR over the next few months. If he's not with the sponsor anymore, not working legally so can show no proof of income.........in theory he should be sent back from whence he came...lol...however, it CAN be drawn out for ages if he chose to appeal it.

Once again, makes me so happy that when my husband came here he didn't bother with 'Muslim brothers'......really sorry for your friend MM. Xx

missmetal

I wouldn't imagine he'd simply be able to 'transfer' his sponsorship to someone else, for want of a better expression. Only circumstances I'd imagine which would go in his favour, which I completely wouldn't advocate would be if he had started a family with someone else!! Then it's the human rights and rights to family life blah blah blah!!

If he stayed illegally, he's seriously going to struggle ever getting to see his family in Tunisia.

He won't slip under the radar though, not yet, because he hasn't got his ILR, possibly if it was after. However if he came here after July 2012 he'd fall under the new regs which means FLR in a year or so, if it was prior to July 2012 then he'll be under the old regs and as such should be preparing for his ILR over the next few months. If he's not with the sponsor anymore, not working legally so can show no proof of income.........in theory he should be sent back from whence he came...lol...however, it CAN be drawn out for ages if he chose to appeal it.

Once again, makes me so happy that when my husband came here he didn't bother with 'Muslim brothers'......really sorry for your friend MM. Xx
Thanks Jane

We're all a bit sad about it coz he's changed so much. Part of his changing was probably also due to the fact that my mates sister completely shunned him making it's very difficult for him to fit in. They lived together for first few months as fiancé visa around Oct 2012 I think. When they found their own place my friend was travelling a lot for business as she tours with bands and he was in his own. Who else would he turn to considerin his sister in law was a complete ***** to him. Plus not having luck with work and the bills add up. Then he became more religious and possessive and so those issues crept in and then the fact that she's athiest became more of a problem and he just changed so much making it impossible to be happy. He's better off with some Muslim girl.

She's kinda stoked now as the pressure is off her to provide and deal with the contant 'my situation and I never have any luck' non sense, despite the constant praying and clearly no luck is gods will.

Personally I think he's going to try and marry again but I don't think it will be genuine. It will he some Muslim girl helping him out and I sincerely hope too that no kids are involved. People do stupid sh1t when desperate.

daffodil

Sad for your friend Missmetal, but oh so common..

He will struggle to go from the UK and return..but he will be ok if he just stays under the radar here thousands of them do and lead good lives too....

More than likey scenario he will pay to change his identity ...opens up lots of poss for him and suprisingly easy to do.

missmetal

Sad for your friend Missmetal, but oh so common..

He will struggle to go from the UK and return..but he will be ok if he just stays under the radar here thousands of them do and lead good lives too....

More than likey scenario he will pay to change his identity ...opens up lots of poss for him and suprisingly easy to do.
Thanks Daffodil. It's been a struggle but when she saw him changing it made her nervous because of her rock and roll culture and life style he started to move away from. Think she's happy getting rid of 'boring'! LOL!

If he changes his identity I can't wait to throw his religion in his face. Because he's supposed to be trying really hard to be a good Muslim and faking all this is dishonest.

janette

Thanks Daffodil. It's been a struggle but when she saw him changing it made her nervous because of her rock and roll culture and life style he started to move away from. Think she's happy getting rid of 'boring'! LOL!

If he changes his identity I can't wait to throw his religion in his face. Because he's supposed to be trying really hard to be a good Muslim and faking all this is dishonest.
As we all know, even the most 'devote' Tunisian Muslims , can be very selective on what is ok and what is not! Pretty much like others in their religions, but worse perhaps! ;) :rolleyes:

Jane BM

As we all know, even the most 'devote' Tunisian Muslims , can be very selective on what is ok and what is not! Pretty much like others in their religions, but worse perhaps! ;) :rolleyes:
Selective is an understatement !! Give me a non practising person anyday for me....but someone who doesn't purport to be anything other than a decent human being! And lives their lives as such rather than displaying such double standards all the time.

Rachel

Hi All, Just thought id pass on some good news ... my divorce was finalised on the 21st March. Since completion i've sent the absolute to the home office. Since its all been finalised I still have not heard anything from him ... just his family who were rather unhappy to say the least, apparently he has told them he will never divorce me and he has not given me permission for a divorce.
He accepted the divorce papers from the court bailiff and has never disputed the divorce through the court .... im just going to let him sort his own divorce out in Tunisia.

Trulymadlydeeply

Hope you and your daughter are ok Rachel, and glad it's all finally over x

Essem

Staff member
Hi Rachel,

I bet you are breathing a big sigh of relief now?

I wish you all the best for moving on with your life. You just have to put it all behind you if you can and also put it down to experience. You've been through so much so don't look back.

Do you have any advice you could offer to any others in a similar situations. xx

Rachel

i have lots of advice to anyone who needs it... feel free to send a message xxx

ROULLA

i have lots of advice to anyone who needs it... feel free to send a message xxx
Hi Rachel, hope that you and your daughter are both well!
Maybe you should start a thread called DIVORCE PROCEEDINGS and place all your information on there for anyone who needs this kind of information. Maybe you can do a step by step kind of thing.
Good luck for the future:)

Hi I'm just hoping someone can help me, I got married to a Tunisian man in sousse, it was June last year. We met in January and it was a bit of a whirlwind hasty decision. After we got married and I returned to Tunisia his attitude had changed completely. He took money from my purse, locked me in the apartment we were staying in because I didn't want to visit his family (which is how he expected us to spend all our time at his family's house, most of which he spent in a different room with his brother) and he in General became more possessive and controlling. I've been a controlling relationship before and I wasn't prepared to go through it again. I tried to give it a chance for a couple more months but he took great pleasure in winding me up and when I would get angry he would just laugh. In November last year I accepted I had made a big mistake and married someone I didn't know, now I'd started to know him properly I no longer liked him - never mind loved him! I called him and told him it was over and that I wanted a divorce. He has told me the only way I can get a divorce is to return to Tunisia which isn't going to happen! I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on where I go from here? I only have a translation of my marriage certificate and he still has my birth certificate which he never returned after he had organised the wedding. I can't afford to see a solicitor and they have now stopped legal aid if you are employed. He has never visited the uk and I believe his reason for marrying me was so he could reside here. He still attempts to contact me regularly but his only way of doing so at the moment is through my work and I have changed my hours so he often can't get hold of me. I'm hoping that he will be the one to divorce me when he realises he isn't going to get what he wants. I have no assets, I don't own my own home, I have no savings and my wages only just cover my bills. Is he entitled to anything? Thank you
Hi I'm just hoping someone can help me, I got married to a Tunisian man in sousse, it was June last year. We met in January and it was a bit of a whirlwind hasty decision. After we got married and I returned to Tunisia his attitude had changed completely. He took money from my purse, locked me in the apartment we were staying in because I didn't want to visit his family (which is how he expected us to spend all our time at his family's house, most of which he spent in a different room with his brother) and he in General became more possessive and controlling. I've been a controlling relationship before and I wasn't prepared to go through it again. I tried to give it a chance for a couple more months but he took great pleasure in winding me up and when I would get angry he would just laugh. In November last year I accepted I had made a big mistake and married someone I didn't know, now I'd started to know him properly I no longer liked him - never mind loved him! I called him and told him it was over and that I wanted a divorce. He has told me the only way I can get a divorce is to return to Tunisia which isn't going to happen! I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on where I go from here? I only have a translation of my marriage certificate and he still has my birth certificate which he never returned after he had organised the wedding. I can't afford to see a solicitor and they have now stopped legal aid if you are employed. He has never visited the uk and I believe his reason for marrying me was so he could reside here. He still attempts to contact me regularly but his only way of doing so at the moment is through my work and I have changed my hours so he often can't get hold of me. I'm hoping that he will be the one to divorce me when he realises he isn't going to get what he wants. I have no assets, I don't own my own home, I have no savings and my wages only just cover my bills. Is he entitled to anything? Thank you
oh
Hi I'm just hoping someone can help me, I got married to a Tunisian man in sousse, it was June last year. We met in January and it was a bit of a whirlwind hasty decision. After we got married and I returned to Tunisia his attitude had changed completely. He took money from my purse, locked me in the apartment we were staying in because I didn't want to visit his family (which is how he expected us to spend all our time at his family's house, most of which he spent in a different room with his brother) and he in General became more possessive and controlling. I've been a controlling relationship before and I wasn't prepared to go through it again. I tried to give it a chance for a couple more months but he took great pleasure in winding me up and when I would get angry he would just laugh. In November last year I accepted I had made a big mistake and married someone I didn't know, now I'd started to know him properly I no longer liked him - never mind loved him! I called him and told him it was over and that I wanted a divorce. He has told me the only way I can get a divorce is to return to Tunisia which isn't going to happen! I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on where I go from here? I only have a translation of my marriage certificate and he still has my birth certificate which he never returned after he had organised the wedding. I can't afford to see a solicitor and they have now stopped legal aid if you are employed. He has never visited the uk and I believe his reason for marrying me was so he could reside here. He still attempts to contact me regularly but his only way of doing so at the moment is through my work and I have changed my hours so he often can't get hold of me. I'm hoping that he will be the one to divorce me when he realises he isn't going to get what he wants. I have no assets, I don't own my own home, I have no savings and my wages only just cover my bills. Is he entitled to anything? Thank you[/QUOTE

Trulymadlydeeply

Hi Frances what is it you are trying to do/say?

Hi Frances what is it you are trying to do/say?[/QUOTE JUST trying to say that I feel for leesa. I to married a Tunisian man after being friends for nearly 10 years. The last 3 years we took the relationship a step further. The marriage was sep last year and we were working on getting his English test and visa. I went out on the 27 April this year and everything went wrong. He had changed so much. Aggressive wanting money, he eventually left me alone in an apartment and took all my money.luckily I can speak some Arabic and I got access to the Internet and booked the first flight back to the UK. I was not staying this man that I had lived and cherished turned into a monster in a week.thank god I saw the light before test and visa done.i know he will divorce me. How will I find out if he has?i have no intention of pursuing one. Because it's right what folk say they want it more. So they can move onto the next victim whether after 6 months a year or 10 years- stay away from them... can't be trusted

oh leesa I know

Trulymadlydeeply

Sorry to hear that Frances, not rare though so don't think it's only happened to you. Only way you can tell if he has divorced you is to get a new copy of his birth certificate . If you are still married your name will still be on it.

Sorry to hear that Frances, not rare though so don't think it's only happened to you. Only way you can tell if he has divorced you is to get a new copy of his birth certificate . If you are still married your name will still be on it.
so I take it I will have to go back to tunisia and it will be easy enough to get this and where would I get it.

Trulymadlydeeply

Anyone can ask for a copy if you have any contacts out there? I think it's at the municipality but don't quote me on it, can someone correct me please..