Divorce - about to or have divorced a Tunisian

laura-saif

Hi ladies, how do I register my UK divorce in tunisia,

laura-saif

How do you register a divorce from UK in tunisia been told many of times this can happen. But never how. I've had my UK divorce for a while now x

Jane BM

Trulymadlydeeply

It has to be registered at the Municipality where you got married. I wouldn't bother though unless you wanted to marry another Tunisian :(

Trulymadlydeeply

You just register it at the municipality where you married. I wouldn't bother though unless you intend on marrying another tunisian.. :(

laura-saif

Ii do plan to marry another tunisian (not come here to be judged for that). I have a UK divorce and wanted it sorted there asap. I don't know if my ex has already sorted it there or not so im wanting to do it myself. Do I have to go to the municipality myself or can someone take it for me as I really don't want to travel to gafsa to do this and does anyone know the actual procedure that needs to be done for this x

Trulymadlydeeply

Is your new partner in Tunisia? If he is he could go and get your ex husbands birth certificate it will state on it if you are still his wife. I have been told that you just register your decree absolute at the municipality where you married. I would presume it would need to be translated into French or arabic. Not sure if you or another person has to take it sorry.

laura-saif

Thanks. Yes my partner in tunisia and I go out next month so will ask him to help m get copy of his bc. Yeah ive heard i need to take absolute there but my i stay in hammamet and i dont wish to travel to gafsa to register it as my ex husband is a horrid man an even though he not in tunisia and somewhere with his polish gf I don't trust his family x

Louise1983

Hi

Can anyone tell me the answers to these few questions,

How long a divorce takes in Tunisia? - the wife is from Czech
How much it is?
How is the process done?

Thank you in advance

miamoo

Hi, I am looking for some advice for a friend.
She married a Tunisian man in Tunisia 15 years ago and they have a 12 year old daughter. He has lived here but still has a tunisian passport.
Their relationship was bad for the last 3 or 4 years, he has been cheating and eventually decided to leave her.
He moved out a month ago, rents a house and owns a business here in the uk worth a lot of money.
He took an unexpected holiday to tunisia a few weeks ago and she is concerned that he could be filing for divorce in Tunisia without her knowledge. He has made her promise not to file for divorce with the promise of a very large out of court settlement offer of £2,000 a month. Is there any way she can find out of he has filed for divorce in Tunisia? If he has would that be a legal divorce in the UK? would it mean that he doesn't have to give her half of the business etc? Thanks

Jane BM

Hi, I am looking for some advice for a friend.
She married a Tunisian man in Tunisia 15 years ago and they have a 12 year old daughter. He has lived here but still has a tunisian passport.
Their relationship was bad for the last 3 or 4 years, he has been cheating and eventually decided to leave her.
He moved out a month ago, rents a house and owns a business here in the uk worth a lot of money.
He took an unexpected holiday to tunisia a few weeks ago and she is concerned that he could be filing for divorce in Tunisia without her knowledge. He has made her promise not to file for divorce with the promise of a very large out of court settlement offer of £2,000 a month. Is there any way she can find out of he has filed for divorce in Tunisia? If he has would that be a legal divorce in the UK? would it mean that he doesn't have to give her half of the business etc? Thanks
She can find out if he's filed for divorce if she requests a copy of his birth certificate from the belidaya in Tunisia in the municipality where they married. As for the rest, she'd need to contact a solicitor, may be worth doing that anyway and filing for divorce here, especially if he lives here, as any settlement made will definitely be legally binding here, and as it sounds like he's not about to up and go to Tunisia to live, if it was me, I'd want something that had been drawn up here.

gem15

When does she think he filed for divorce? If he's filed she may not know as her name will only be removed from the BC when the divorce is finalised.

DARK ANGEL

if he thinks to divorcen her , he can , we know that most part of men give the court a wrong adress , therefore she can't know anything , that's true she can know if she is divorced or no but after the end of the process , so this is the bad thing !

DARK ANGEL

also in case she was absent , no one can defend her rights to take his half business !maybe not

Jane BM

She can still divorce him in the UK.....and protect herself for anything that is due her, especially if he continues to live and work in the UK.

summer77

I would like some advice about divorcing my Tunisian husband please. we were married in Tunisia 2010. H obtained his visa October 2010 and we stayed together until April 2013. He provoked me, he drank constantly and smoked cannabis a great deal. He worked but after a while he started to go out drinking with his Tunisian friends and coming home late. he eventually asked for a divorce and left me on April 22 2013 because i objected to his behaviour and aggression. I have received only one piece of communication in 2014 from a solicitor in Tunisia asking me to meet there in Sousse for mediation. Of course it was impossible to attend and since then i have received nothing else. What shall i do next, i am very confused what is legal binding in the UK?

Jane BM

I would like some advice about divorcing my Tunisian husband please. we were married in Tunisia 2010. H obtained his visa October 2010 and we stayed together until April 2013. He provoked me, he drank constantly and smoked cannabis a great deal. He worked but after a while he started to go out drinking with his Tunisian friends and coming home late. he eventually asked for a divorce and left me on April 22 2013 because i objected to his behaviour and aggression. I have received only one piece of communication in 2014 from a solicitor in Tunisia asking me to meet there in Sousse for mediation. Of course it was impossible to attend and since then i have received nothing else. What shall i do next, i am very confused what is legal binding in the UK?
He may well have already divorced you in Tunisia....the first thing to do I'd say is to obtain a copy of his birth certificate from the Belidaya in Tunisia, it just costs pennies. It will show his current marital status in that.

summer77

Thanks for this information, what is the Belidaya? If i am divorsed in Tunisia is it legal in the UK? Do i require any papers?

Essem

Staff member
So sorry to hear this summer but unfortunately there are posts and threads on here full of similar stories. So sad. If you didn't go to mediation and have not heard any more, I'd hazard a guess that he's divorced you there.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for this information, what is the Belidaya? If i am divorsed in Tunisia is it legal in the UK? Do i require any papers?
Not unless you register it and it may not be the case so best see a solicitor.

If you look in the translation section of the main website Ramzi our official translator can get certain documents for you. Keep the letter from Tunisia as it will have a number on it and this "case number" will allow you to get further information.