Divorce - about to or have divorced a Tunisian

JennyWren

Hi I have not been on here for years. I got married in 2010 and my marriage to a Tunisian guy only lasted 4 months but that was my choice as I wasn't sure if he didn't just want to live in the uk even though he never asked me for money or anything plus it was tough as I got pregnant quick as well and I lost it while I was in the uk which was hard, We married very quickly after we met as it was like a whirl wind. I found out last year that he might be married and one minute he said he had divorced me then the next minute he said he hadn't, he's abit of a bit game player. I found out that he moved to Sweden I think with his new lady in October he's been with her since 2012 and I saw a pic on his Facebook that looked like they got married but I'm not 100% sure. I was wondering how I can find out if he has divorced me or not because if he hasn't I would like to divorce him for closure. If he did marry her last year would he not have to divorce me first ? Should I have not recieved something in the post to say we are divorced ?
Thanks

Essem

Staff member
Hi JW

Sorry to hear that what has become a somewhat regular occurence on here has happened to you.

Did he ever live with you in the UK?

He could have divorced you without you knowing (by giving lawyer/courts false UK address and when there was no reply, divorce would go through automatically).

I don't think he'd have been able to remarry without divorcing you there.

A copy of his up-to-date birth certificate should say if and who he is currently married to, and you can get a copy at the beladiya.

JennyWren

Hi thank you for the reply. No it never got that far luckily :) I just used to go and stay with him in Tunisia. What is the beladiya ? If he isn't married to her I'm guessing he wouldn't be able to stay that long in Sweden without them marrying. It would be so much more easier if he has divorced me, it's the not knowing which is the worst bit. I have thought about going to Tunisia but I wouldn't have a clue where I would have to go or where that place is, it would be easier if I didn't have to go there x

Jane BM

Hi thank you for the reply. No it never got that far luckily :) I just used to go and stay with him in Tunisia. What is the beladiya ? If he isn't married to her I'm guessing he wouldn't be able to stay that long in Sweden without them marrying. It would be so much more easier if he has divorced me, it's the not knowing which is the worst bit. I have thought about going to Tunisia but I wouldn't have a clue where I would have to go or where that place is, it would be easier if I didn't have to go there x
The belidaya is where you can get copies of birth certificates etc over there, most towns have them. If you have his name, date of birth and place of birth I think, you can get a copy of his birth certificate, this will show whether he is still married to you or divorced and remarried.

Anyone could go in there for you, and it only costs a couple hundred Millime. X

JennyWren

The belidaya is where you can get copies of birth certificates etcover there, most towns have them. If you have his name, dateof birth and place of birth I think,you can get a copy of his birth certificate, this will show whetherhe is still married to you ordivorced and remarried.

Hi jane bm
Does that mean I need to go to his city or can I get it somewhere else ?

Jane BM

The belidaya is where you can get copies of birth certificates etcover there, most towns have them. If you have his name, dateof birth and place of birth I think,you can get a copy of his birth certificate, this will show whetherhe is still married to you ordivorced and remarried.

Hi jane bm
Does that mean I need to go to his city or can I get it somewhere else ?
You can get anyone to go for you, you don't need to go yourself. Just make sure they have all his details.

JennyWren

You can get anyone to go for you, you don't need to go yourself. Just make sure they have all his details.
Thank you I was thinking about emailing the guy called ramzi who is advertised on here, do you recommend him or know much about him.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Yes Ramzi is the official translator for the site I have known him for over 5 years.

He translates items for me and some other forum members and he is my friend and I stand by his work.

He is a ministry of justice certified translator based in Bizerte so translations can be used in Tunisian court.

As with most things in Tunisia its cheap to do but its a waiting in line and sorting issues out f you don't have the correct information and or they tell you to "come back tomorrow". Without exaggerating small things like this can take hours.

If you have someone in Tunisia then they should be able to do it for you, if not its worth paying the extra for Ramzi to go get it for you and then send you a translation back.

Last edited:

JennyWren

Yes Ramzi is the official translator for the site I have known him for over 5 years.

He translates items for me and some other forum members and he is my friend and I stand by his work.

He is a ministry of justice certified translator based in Bizerte so translations can be used in Tunisian court.

As with most things in Tunisia its cheap to do but its a waiting in line and sorting issues out f you don't have the correct information and or they tell you to "come back tomorrow". Without exaggerating small things like this can take hours.

If you have someone in Tunisia then they should be able to do it for you, if not its worth paying the extra for Ramzi to go get it for you and then send you a translation back.
Hi chris, I know what you mean about the waiting I remember what it was like when we used to go to the embassy. I think I'm going to get ramzi to get it for
Me as I don't know anybody in Tunisia or that is going there soon. Thank you for your help.

Jane BM

Hi chris, I know what you mean about the waiting I remember what it was like when we used to go to the embassy. I think I'm going to get ramzi to get it for
Me as I don't know anybody in Tunisia or that is going there soon. Thank you for your help.
I used him when I got married to my husband and also for all the paperwork of my husbands for his visa application. He's a trustworthy person if you don't know anyone personally over there to do it. Xx

Essem

Staff member
Hi JennyWren,

I have also used Ramzi for legal stuff and can highly recommend him.

JennyWren

I used him when I got married to my husband and also for all the paperwork of my husbands for his visa application. He's a trustworthy person if you don't know anyone personally over there to do it. Xx

Hi JennyWren,

Thank you to you both, it's better when you know some feed back on people you don't know as I'm really careful of everybody these days :)

Mezoo

VIP Member
Hi JennyWren,

His services are top notch. Used his assistance just last week concerning our property and some issues. he also can recommend top flight attorneys, of which we had needs for. Use his services and you will be treated expertly and quickly.

summer77

He may well have already divorced you in Tunisia....the first thing to do I'd say is to obtain a copy of his birth certificate from the Belidaya in Tunisia, it just costs pennies. It will show his current marital status in that.

summer77

Could anyone please suggest a Lawyer English speaking in Sousse?

Scottochott

Could anyone please suggest a Lawyer English speaking in Sousse?
Have a look on the embassy website, there are recommendations there, but they are not cheap!

Trulymadlydeeply

Probably be cheaper to get a quick flight out there to obtain a copy of his birth certificate. If he has divorced you your name will no longer be on it. I'm sure he would have to hregister the divorce at the municipality where you married. With your passport I'm sure they would give you a copy then just have it translated by a sworn translator.

summer77

I went to see him once, but I found the price he quoted to be extortionate, and his suggestions unnecessary, so did not use him, however his English is good. There are only a few English speaking lawyers, if you can get by in French you will have the choice of them all and at a much more reasonable rate.
thank you for your support

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Probably be cheaper to get a quick flight out there to obtain a copy of his birth certificate. If he has divorced you your name will no longer be on it. I'm sure he would have to hregister the divorce at the municipality where you married. With your passport I'm sure they would give you a copy then just have it translated by a sworn translator.
As long as you combine it with a holiday.

If not the flights are not that cheap until after the summer and i hate the municipality.

A day in a queue in Tunisia is a day I don't get back and I am not used to the come back tomorrow routine any more.

curious

I know this is an old thread but it seemed to be the most appropriate - I have looked through a lot, but can anyone tell me how long a divorce takes in Tunisia? The marriage is between a German and a Tunisian but I'm not sure if that makes any difference? Both parties fully consenting. I'm just curious as to how long the divorce can take (ballpark figure of course) from beginning to end? I know (believe anyway) it's around 700 dinar.

Thanks guys x