Divorce Help please

lovedup

(sorry if this is in the wrong place i cannot find the right section):rolleyes:

Hello all!

Me and my husband have decided to get divorced and we are both in agreement with it. Its been along time coming and I couldn't be happier lol.

We were married in July 2008 in Tunisia and we have lived in the UK ever since.

He has an ILR.

He has now gone back to Tunisia to settle so I just need to know the quickest and cheapest way to get a divorce.

Should I start legal proceedings here or do i have to go to Tunisia.

We have two children but i know all the ins and outs of the laws there and too be honest i will never take them back to Tunisia it scares the hell out of me that he could keep them there even tho he says he would never do that.

Cheers for any help xxxx:happy:

Trulymadlydeeply

Hey lovedup, sorry to hear although as you say you knew it would be on the cards.

Yes start proceedings here as this is the last place of domicile together. If it is straight forward as in children and property I cannot see it being too costly. Probably cheaper in Tunisia but I wouldn't hold my breath on it being sorted quickly especially if you do not attend the hearings.

I would however seek a Prohibited Steps. Order to cover the kids. As I always say when they are backed int o a corner it can get nasty. Are you sure he has left the Uk? I would get it in place asap, means nothing out there, but he would be arrested here if he tried to take them xxx

DARK ANGEL

If ur agree for the divorce , that's a good point , what was his suggestions about the kids , he still their father , i am sorry to say that children are the only victims of this decision

Trulymadlydeeply

I wouldn't call the children victims as such, sometimes better in a loving household with one parent than 2 with constant battles.

DARK ANGEL

I wouldn't call the children victims as such, sometimes better in a loving household with one parent than 2 with constant battles.
Well maybe because your are not "child" u said that , u think as a mature person , this feeling the only on who can describe is a kid ! they still need their parents

Essem

Staff member
Not necessarily living together though DA and certainly not being brought up in a household where there is tension and fighting etc in the parent's relationship.

Children are better living with one happy parent than 2 unhappy ones (with visiting rights etc for the one not living with the children).

MM4AS

I used to dream of my parents divorcing, I might have hated my dad less if I hadn't had to live with him! most children of alcoholics would rather not live with them

Trulymadlydeeply

Well maybe because your are not "child" u said that , u think as a mature person , this feeling the only on who can describe is a kid ! they still need their parents
Her husband has ILR as stated so he can come and see his children when he wants to. LU just said she wouldn't be taking them there and I for one don't blame her. We don't know her situation and how close they are anyway. (Sorry for talking about you LU x)

Jane BM

Sorry to hear your news Lovedup....but you're happy about it at least, so clearly you're doing the right thing.

I'd follow Trulys advise on this, especially regarding the prohibitive steps order regarding your children. Hopefully the divorce can remain amicable so the children will still be able to see their father when he comes to the UK. I'd feel the same way as you about not taking them to Tunisia, because no, you just never know!! Sad fact.

Best of luck.

DARK ANGEL

Her husband has ILR as stated so he can come and see his children when he wants to. LU just said she wouldn't be taking them there and I for one don't blame her. We don't know her situation and how close they are anyway. (Sorry for talking about you LU x)
you can read what i wrote b4 "If ur agree for the divorce , that's a good point , what was his suggestions about the kids" , i am not against her divorce , but in general and this is my view , if the couple is Arabic or European or mix kids looks sometimes victims of this decision !

Jane BM

you can read what i wrote b4 "If ur agree for the divorce , that's a good point , what was his suggestions about the kids" , i am not against her divorce , but in general and this is my view , if the couple is Arabic or European or mix kids looks sometimes victims of this decision !
I have to agree with you in your last sentence Dark Angel.....unfortunately in these kinds of mixed marriages with European women with Tunisian husbands, the children can sometimes end up having to 'lose' their father effectively. But that's because the women in general are terrified that they'll take their children over to Tunisia to see their father and not be able to return home with them.

There's a FEW who make it work and both parties are adult enough to put the children's welfare first and foremost, but often this just isn't the case. Sadly until Tunisia moves with the times with its antiquated laws and doesn't sign up to treaties which protect the children against such things, then this is going to continue happening.

DARK ANGEL

I have to agree with you in your last sentence Dark Angel.....unfortunately in these kinds of mixed marriages with European women with Tunisian husbands, the children can sometimes end up having to 'lose' their father effectively. But that's because the women in general are terrified that they'll take their children over to Tunisia to see their father and not be able to return home with them.

There's a FEW who make it work and both parties are adult enough to put the children's welfare first and foremost, but often this just isn't the case. Sadly until Tunisia moves with the times with its antiquated laws and doesn't sign up to treaties which protect the children against such things, then this is going to continue happening.
Well said Jane,

missmetal

Having kids is looking like a bad idea nowadays :confused:

Jane BM

Having kids is looking like a bad idea nowadays :confused:
As if having a child wasn't a big enough decision...lol....but the whole having a child with a Tunisian makes you have to think doubly hard, because there's all sorts of issues that could potentially surface!!