Divorce- missing marriage certificate but unsure where to get it?

Shai

Hi all,

I am really hoping someone can help me. I want to get divorced from my Tunisian husband (he currently resides in UK with his ILR) however he will not give me the marriage certificate.

I was wondering where in Tunisia I could get a copy of the marriage certificate, we were married in Hammamet, but does anyone know what the name of the muncipality is and if it is as easy as just walkingin there and picking up the certificate?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Shai

missmetal

What about the municipality that you married in? That would be my first try. And sorry I think it is pretty easy to request a copy but others might know best

Shai

That's part of the problem, we got married in a hotel so it wasn't directly there, I just need to know that If I book a flight and go over there that I can actually get the paper.

Thanks
Shai

missmetal

Ah ok, but it would still be represent by that municipality because you needed t get those stamps from them and the state. Try get the number and call them

Last edited:

Jane BM

Shai, do you not know anyone who lives over there who could go and try for you first before you went to the expense of a flight? Why won't your ex give it to you?

Do you still have copies from when you submitted his ILR in any paperwork at home?

Essem

Staff member
Hi Shai,

We had this question just the other month there although not for Hammamet and if I remember correctly, the information was that only the married couple could obtain a copy of the marriage certificate from the place where they were married.

This should be a bit of an alert to all those married to foreigners to keep copies of all documents regardless of how irrelevant it seems initially - you just don't know when you'll need them.

How long were you married Shai? Doesn't he want a divorce? How long has he been in the UK?

Shai

We were married for two years, he has been in the UK for 3 years, he wants a divorce too but he needs to wait a while as all his documents are at a friends house. No I stupidly didn't think to photocopy it. He has been granted ILR, I feel like he wants to wait it out a year and apply for a passport next year as he can claim we are still married (as he has some of my other documents too bank statements, tenancy agreements etc), I don't know....is there only one muncipality in Hammamet as I do not mind flying over there to get a copy I just need to know that I will be able to get it if I do....I really don't know why he will not allow me to proceed with the divorce when neither of us want to be together.

Thanks for the replies...

missmetal

Well Having all these documents of yours mean nothing unless he's applying soon because they will want recent information.

I'm not sure how it works out once ILR is received but he does not need your docs for he passport and the does not need to be married as I thought that you could longer get citizenship quicker for being married to a Brit anymore. But I could be wrong.

Trulymadlydeeply

Would the British embassy in Tunisia not have a file copy from visa application?

Shai

I have emailed them asking for help but I guess I will wait for a reply...

Jane BM

Well Having all these documents of yours mean nothing unless he's applying soon because they will want recent information.

I'm not sure how it works out once ILR is received but he does not need your docs for he passport and the does not need to be married as I thought that you could longer get citizenship quicker for being married to a Brit anymore. But I could be wrong.
It all depends what route he entered the UK in the first place. If it was as the spouse of a British person then under the old regulations he is eligible to apply for citizenship after being here for 3 years. If it's not as a spouse then it took longer. As he already has his ILR then he would have applied under the old regulations..pre July 2012.

Essem

Staff member
We were married for two years, he has been in the UK for 3 years, he wants a divorce too but he needs to wait a while as all his documents are at a friends house. No I stupidly didn't think to photocopy it. He has been granted ILR, I feel like he wants to wait it out a year and apply for a passport next year as he can claim we are still married (as he has some of my other documents too bank statements, tenancy agreements etc), I don't know....is there only one muncipality in Hammamet as I do not mind flying over there to get a copy I just need to know that I will be able to get it if I do....I really don't know why he will not allow me to proceed with the divorce when neither of us want to be together.

Thanks for the replies...
Hi Shai,

From memory of previous posts, I think there are 3 in Hammamet and I'm pretty sure the information is on here somewhere. I'll have a look for it using the search facility that we have.

Roulla might know better as she lives in Nabeul, she'll be on later.

The following is the website for Hammamet - don't know how up to date it is though, but it could be a starting point and they might be ble to point you in the right direction.

Email: [email protected]
Website: http://www.commune-hammamet.gov.tn/fr/index.htm (English version under construction)

Shai

Thankyou so much for your help!

Essem

Staff member

Essem

Staff member
Ok it looks like there are two other number you could try

District of Bir Bouregba Av F. Ben Abdelaaziz.
Tel (72) 226 054

prerogatives:
• marital status
• Municipal Procedures
• Recovery
• Cleanliness and Environmental Protection

District Manaret Hammamet Sousse Road (GP1).
Tel: 72227490

prerogatives:
• marital status
• Municipal Procedures
• Recovery
• Cleanliness and Environmental Protection

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150161642180394.424149.347592290393&type=1

Shai

Thank you again Essem for your help :) I will give them a call in the morning.

Jane BM

Let us know how it goes Shai...best of luck. X

DARK ANGEL

HI Shai , u want to divorce him in the uk or in Tunisia?

Essem

Staff member
Thank you again Essem for your help :) I will give them a call in the morning.
Let us know how you get on. I'm sure if you go back in person, it'll be straightforward (that's a word not often used here, lol) enough to obtain a copy.

missmetal

HI Shai , u want to divorce him in the uk or in Tunisia?
She wants to divorce him in Tunisia but she does not have a copy of her wedding cert