Divorce

Hi everybody. I need some advice. My daughter married a Tunisian guy in Tunisia four years ago. She has never lived there and he has never even visited here though she visited him a few times after the wedding. She inherited some money and about a year after they married he asked her to lend him about £7,000 so he could start a business - which she did and he did start the business. Unfortunately as everybody will know things in Tunisia went downhill after the beach shooting incident and the business eventually failed. He got a job in the hospitality business and not long after he told her he wanted a divorce. We have our suspicions that he was having an affair with somebody he worked with. He has promised to pay her back every bit of the money he borrowed. He said that he had been to Court and she had to go to Tunisia which was impossible - he asked for proof that she lived in the UK, he sent some papers to the UK for her to sign - basically she did everything that was asked of her. He kept telling her it will get sorted in November, it will get sorted in May, etc. etc. but nothing seems to have happened. She tried to call him for an update - his phone was not connected. She did eventually get a confirmation of delivery and a read receipt for it but still no contact. We have tried emailing him and have heard nothing. The marriage was never registered in this county so questions are: is she legally married in the UK - we have been told she is not as it was never registered here and he never visited/obtained a visa to visit. How can we find out if she is actually divorced in Tunisia and he is just fobbing her off. Also is there any way we can push to at least get some of the money back - he did promise faithfully (!!!!) that he would pay it back and that he was just waiting for the Judge to tell him how much he has to pay back a month. We think there may be a possibility that he is not in Tunisia - he did tell her that he had been offered a job in Europe which he was probably going to take - this was last year but he did not say where in Europe. He works in the hotel/hotel complex business on the entertainment team. We do have his lawyer's address and also his mother's address which is where he was living. Anybody who can help with any information/advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi There,

Hi everybody. I need some advice. My daughter married a Tunisian guy in Tunisia four years ago. She has never lived there and he has never even visited here though she visited him a few times after the wedding. She inherited some money and about a year after they married he asked her to lend him about £7,000 so he could start a business - which she did and he did start the business. Unfortunately as everybody will know things in Tunisia went downhill after the beach shooting incident and the business eventually failed. He got a job in the hospitality business and not long after he told her he wanted a divorce. We have our suspicions that he was having an affair with somebody he worked with.

Sounds logical

He has promised to pay her back every bit of the money he borrowed.

Most likely not going to happen.

He said that he had been to Court and she had to go to Tunisia which was impossible - he asked for proof that she lived in the UK, he sent some papers to the UK for her to sign - basically she did everything that was asked of her. He kept telling her it will get sorted in November, it will get sorted in May, etc. etc. but nothing seems to have happened. She tried to call him for an update - his phone was not connected. She did eventually get a confirmation of delivery and a read receipt for it but still no contact. We have tried emailing him and have heard nothing. The marriage was never registered in this county so questions are: is she legally married in the UK - we have been told she is not as it was never registered here and he never visited/obtained a visa to visit.

Hmm I dont like loose ends it may be the case that she is not but what if she gets married again and he turns up off a boat? What if he registers the marriage etc etc.

How can we find out if she is actually divorced in Tunisia and he is just fobbing her off.

He can divorce her in absentia and if (for example Ramzi) or a representative of yourself goes to a registry office they can either get his documents (which will say married or not) and possibly even the court papers if you can provide the details and addresses etc to them.

Also is there any way we can push to at least get some of the money back - he did promise faithfully (!!!!) that he would pay it back and that he was just waiting for the Judge to tell him how much he has to pay back a month.

How do you even know that? So he off his own back went to court to do what spousal support/ repayment plan? I never saw that happen ever.

We think there may be a possibility that he is not in Tunisia - he did tell her that he had been offered a job in Europe which he was probably going to take - this was last year but he did not say where in Europe. He works in the hotel/hotel complex business on the entertainment team. We do have his lawyer's address and also his mother's address which is where he was living. Anybody who can help with any information/advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Ok lets get to the point your have achievable objectives and unlikely objectives.

A translator or lawyer in Tunisia should be able to let you know if your son in law is still married to your daughter.

That should not be too expensive you can either use Ramzi or another person. They will get it for you and translate it.

You will either have a situation a) He has divorced her or b) he has not.

If its (A) you can get a copy of the decree from Tunisia and your daughter can move on with her life.

If she id divorced and he already has a new wife you will have to consider if you wish to lawyer up and confront him with the debt which will probably not work but will cause him some embarrassment especially if he bullshitted himself a girl from a nice family or he is about to marry another foreign woman. If you have the money and he is in Tunisia and you have all the proof of sending the money and his communications why not.....but you wont get that money most likely.

If he has not divorced her you then its more interesting especially if he has married another woman (bigamy = get him put in jail). You can then divorce him for being a bum and ask for your settlement of the money he took off you.

You probably still wont get your money back but you may get some back.

Getting married to a poor person from foreign land is an expensive project.

Personally if I was rich I do not leave any loose ends and see what the lawyer tells me if I want to pay for one....just for a little luxury revenge. He may worry if you have a lawyer... most likely he will avoid it as folks in the UK do when they owe money. Just like here its very difficult to chase debts without contracts.

If not just close the book confirm the divorce and consider it a very expensive lesson in life.

If you want to do anything I recommend Ramzi he does this all the time. he is a court translator so he can find most of the information and then send to a lawyer if required.

cherie63

From January 2014 the option to register a foreign marriage at the GRO in the UK has been withdrawn. This in no way affects the validity of the marriage if you married in accordance with local law in Tunisia.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
There you go as cherie has said (i got married years ago in Tunisia)

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

"Your marriage or civil partnership should be recognised in the UK if you follow the correct process according to local law - you won’t need to register it in the UK."

So basically its a can of worms and get it knocked on the head asap.

I’m sure you could get the marriage annulled if he has never lived here?

As for the money you won’t see that again I’m afraid. Even if a court orders him to pay they won’t enforce it.

Essem

Staff member
Trying to get money back there is like trying to get blood out of a stone so, unfortunately, you'll probably have to write it off.