Do I have any rights to the house we built and land we bought in Tunisia????

Could someone please help me with some information. We both want a divorce but my Tunisian husband who lives here in Scotland now will not give me anything from Tunisia. We were married in Tunisia then he moved to Scotland. later I sold my house here and moved back to Tunisia with him and the children in 2004 we bought land but I think he may have put it in his name as he said I couldn't because I was a British Citizen. He had a plot of land given to him by his father in addition to the separate land and I a spent most of the money we had on finishing and building a house on that plot. So we now have a house and land . We moved back to Scotland with the children in 2011 because of the Revolution so I was unable to get my residency. We have been separated now for 4 years. My two children are both now 17 and 18. Without going into detail he has been very argumentative about splitting anything and refuses to give me anything. I do want to divorce him and we can do it quickly online here in the UK but I want to know if I have any rights first as a wife before I do. he has since threatened he would Divorce me anyway if he goes to Tunisia on holiday leaving me with nothing.

I hope you can help as it feels so unfair I cannot give my children anything here in the UK as everything I own is now in Tunisia

Thanks

Trulymadlydeeply

Wow it’s quiye a common occurrence unfortunately often leaving the ex wife with nothing. You could have put your name on the deeds etc I am sure it’s their way of making sure they get everything. I suggest you get legal advice as soon as possible. Good luck.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Wow it’s quiye a common occurrence unfortunately often leaving the ex wife with nothing. You could have put your name on the deeds etc I am sure it’s their way of making sure they get everything. I suggest you get legal advice as soon as possible. Good luck.
Agreed I hope you have a paper trail and bank account numbers showing the money from your account to his account and then hopefully all the information around the deed etc.

You do have rights in Tunisia its not as in favour of the woman as the UK is but those rights do exist.

You may even have a marriage contract where everything during the marriage is 50/50.

Hell you may even be divorced already in absentia, are the children his?

I suggest you message Ramzi and order his birth certificate first and check if you are married and then if you have proof that you sent him the money/marriage contract etc etc get a Tunisian lawyer from another town and see what you can do.

If the house and land was bought using marital funds then i do not see why you cannot own half or more

Thanks for your responses. I am trying to find an English speaking Lawyer ??? and get some advice. His dad gave us a small bit of land next to the family house where we built our home together on. Then we purchased extra land after that with the money from our house sale in Scotland. I remember at the time he said It couldn't get it in my name because I was British. Recently he has told the children he wants to sell the land and buy an apartment. At first it was me who wanted the Divorce but recently he has been so pushy about me signing the online divorce so I am suspicious of his actions. As he was the one begging me to stay together . We've been separated for 4 years now We can get a quick divorce here online as our children are now 17 and 18 I was ready to sign and be done with him but because of his urgency i'm hesitant until I know if I have any rights to our house and land in Tunisia first the more I delay the more irate he is becoming trying to get me to sign the paper quickly and sending not very nice text messages to get me to sign and divorce him , Originally I asked him to put the land and house in the children's name and I would be happy with that but he refused. I wish it were easy I left everything here in the uk to settle in Tunisia I loved it there but had to leave because of the revolution. I have had to build everything back up again from scratch in the last 7 years . Thanks for listening and any advice is welcomed

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Ramzi whos details are on the side of the forum and main website is a court translator and works with a lawyer of repute in bizerte.

A lot of the interesting information does not need a lawyer at the start ie is he remarried an divorced you in Tunisia. Is there documents already lodged in the court.

As I mentioned previously I can only recommend him as I know him. You will need to get all your contracts, transfers and addresses in order before.

http://www.tunisia.com/marriage-and-divorce

https://www.facebook.com/Tunisiantranslator/