• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do I have any rights to the house we built and land we bought in Tunisia????

Could someone please help me with some information. We both want a divorce but my Tunisian husband who lives here in Scotland now will not give me anything from Tunisia. We were married in Tunisia then he moved to Scotland. later I sold my house here and moved back to Tunisia with him and the children in 2004 we bought land but I think he may have put it in his name as he said I couldn't because I was a British Citizen. He had a plot of land given to him by his father in addition to the separate land and I a spent most of the money we had on finishing and building a house on that plot. So we now have a house and land . We moved back to Scotland with the children in 2011 because of the Revolution so I was unable to get my residency. We have been separated now for 4 years. My two children are both now 17 and 18. Without going into detail he has been very argumentative about splitting anything and refuses to give me anything. I do want to divorce him and we can do it quickly online here in the UK but I want to know if I have any rights first as a wife before I do. he has since threatened he would Divorce me anyway if he goes to Tunisia on holiday leaving me with nothing.

I hope you can help as it feels so unfair I cannot give my children anything here in the UK as everything I own is now in Tunisia

Thanks

Trulymadlydeeply

Wow it’s quiye a common occurrence unfortunately often leaving the ex wife with nothing. You could have put your name on the deeds etc I am sure it’s their way of making sure they get everything. I suggest you get legal advice as soon as possible. Good luck.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Wow it’s quiye a common occurrence unfortunately often leaving the ex wife with nothing. You could have put your name on the deeds etc I am sure it’s their way of making sure they get everything. I suggest you get legal advice as soon as possible. Good luck.
Agreed I hope you have a paper trail and bank account numbers showing the money from your account to his account and then hopefully all the information around the deed etc.

You do have rights in Tunisia its not as in favour of the woman as the UK is but those rights do exist.

You may even have a marriage contract where everything during the marriage is 50/50.

Hell you may even be divorced already in absentia, are the children his?

I suggest you message Ramzi and order his birth certificate first and check if you are married and then if you have proof that you sent him the money/marriage contract etc etc get a Tunisian lawyer from another town and see what you can do.

If the house and land was bought using marital funds then i do not see why you cannot own half or more