Driving to Tunisia from England

dgouda

Hi

My husband and I are driving to Tunisia in August. Has anyone here done it...whats the journey like? Aldo my husband is worrying thatvthe children do not have Tunisian passports i don't think it will be a problem as he is teavelling with us, any ideas?

Jasmine

There is some info on a thread we have here: http://forum.tunisia.com/threads/taking-a-car-to-tunisia.5812/

My daughter doesnt have a Tunisian passport either, and it doesnt cause us any problems (hasnt so far). They have asked why she hasnt got one, and i just explained at this point in time she doesnt need one :) As your husband is travelling with you, i cant imagine any problems.

Trulymadlydeeply

It is a very long journey and also quite costly if you are going in the Summer months. How long will you be going for? I only ask as sometimes it is not worth the hassle if you are going for 2 weeks or so. Have a look at the thread Jasmine has posted.

dgouda

We're going for 4 weeks. Tickets have cost us £1800ish.. not looking forward to the long drive!!!!

ROULLA

Hi

My husband and I are driving to Tunisia in August. Has anyone here done it...whats the journey like? Aldo my husband is worrying thatvthe children do not have Tunisian passports i don't think it will be a problem as he is teavelling with us, any ideas?
Hi Dgouda and welcome to the forum. If you would like to apply for a Tunisian passport then you can do this at the Tunisian Embassy and I don't think that it would take long. I have 2 children and have not got a Tunisian passport for either of them but that is my choice, well til they stop me again as I have been stopped before I will not lie to you..

dgouda

We're going to the embassy tomorrow. Travelling in august.

ROULLA

We're going to the embassy tomorrow. Travelling in august.
Make sure that you take the full birth certificate which is the long one as there are two different types and plenty of photo's if I am not mistaken they take 4 photos from each person, here is there telephone number so that you can call them before you go so that you know exactly what it is that you need to take, save you a trip.
020 7584 8117 :)

gem15

I've travelled twice by car to Tunisia and loved it. You can do it in as little as 2 days (not including the boat trip). At least you get to see france on your way down and stop in some interesting places.

Jane BM

I've travelled twice by car to Tunisia and loved it. You can do it in as little as 2 days (not including the boat trip). At least you get to see france on your way down and stop in some interesting places.
Which ferry crossing did you do Gem?

dgouda

How long did it take to drive through france?

Trulymadlydeeply

Just had a look it is 553 miles, you need to take into account the tolls and petrol into your costings too. That distance is Calais to Marseille..

gem15

How long did it take to drive through france?
The 1st time we took 5 days as we took it slowly due to the fact we had 1 dogs with us and the 2nd time took us 2 days. That was with 2 drivers which helps if you wanna drive thru the night to make it quicker.

caveatemptor

The 1st time we took 5 days as we took it slowly due to the fact we had 1 dogs with us and the 2nd time took us 2 days. That was with 2 drivers which helps if you wanna drive thru the night to make it quicker.
I could have sworn you arrived with 2 dogs.

orlandobird

Hi
I will be travelling by car to Tumis this summer just wondering if the original poster has any info after her trip or anyone else who has recently done the journey.
We are also planning on leaving a car there if anyone has any advice on this?
Will we have problems taking things into Tunisia as we want to take some gifts?

We also don't have the car yet but is it possible to book the ferry and change the number plate in the booking once we have for the car??

Thanks in advance for any replies

Scottochott

Hi Orlandobird, you will have real problems to leave a car there. If you enter with a car it is stamped on your passport and you must leave with it. You may be able to claim an "emergency" and need to fly home for example, but you would need proof and it would be left with customs. A Tunisian national can use an FCR as a one off chance to bring in a car without paying tax but only as part of repatriation. You could buy an FCR and then sell the car, but this has recently got more expensive. Difficult to advise without more details of your plans!

Gifts can be brought in, but again without more details difficult to advise, it would depend on the amount and value.

Most ferry trips would allow a change of registration details but check before booking. Bear in mind it is an expensive option of travelling there, but depends where you're coming from.

Talk to customs for advice, and at the last resort come prepared to pay bribes! Not something I advise, but unfortunately it is rife!