eBay in Tunisia

S

Sarah Springham

Hello everyone from sunny (for once) London. I'm hoping to move to Sousse next year and at present run an eBay business here in the UK. Do any of you know of any problems regarding eBay in Tunisia that I should be aware of? Many thanks in advance for any help and advice,

Sarah

MrsEnkhili

as far as i know ebay is fine in tunisia cuz i have looked on it before when ive been there. what problems do u mean exactly?? xx

Essem

Staff member
Hi Sarah

I can certainly use and access my ebay account whilst I'm there but have never had anything sent to Tunisia.

If you are depending importing goods there to sell on, depending on what type of goods they are, they might be subject to import tax?? Will you be selling to / posting to worldwide? Have you considered postage costs and how quickly packages would take to go from there to their destinations?

There was a similar ebay type business there a coupke of years back - Monceff Bay I think it was called (after the market in Tunis) - not sure if it's still there but it didn't seem to work that well.

Wishing you good luck with your change of location.

S

Sarah Springham

Many thanks for your replies. I'm aware of the postage problems in Tunisia as I have a friend in Sfax who's a book dealer. I intend to buy goods in Tunisia and sell them on eBay, rather than importing goods to sell, which I know can be problematic. I'm out in Tunisia in November and will try to set up an eBay account there and then for future use. Have a lovely day xx

MellieC

have a chat with someone in the medina shops ~ they export goods ~ things that tourists have bought that they can't get in thier suitcases or luggage allowance.

if you ask nicely ~ maybe they will let you take photo's of items, without actually purcahsing them, as such you then buy them when they are "sold" and use the buyers money to actually purchase LOL a percentage of sale going to the retailer of course.
bear in mind that there are the 20% and 30% mark ups for "vendor" and "introduction" so you may be able to negotiate a good price for items.

I looked into this a couple of years back, but wasn't going to be here long ~ even though I was LOL and this time around I won't be here by the end of the year so it wasn't worth my while setting it up ~ but it is "doable"

resaearch it well, get the best deals that you can and good luck

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I have given this a little go and the post ruins everything and not the Tunisian post.

For example if you send the products from Tunisia they get extra duties and often get removed and damaged in transit.

This is negated if for example you have products that are high enough value so that you can use DHL(rapid poste) but this is very expensive.

Also if someone has a problem with the products in practice its a pain in the arse for them to send them back since you often get charged douane on the way back also.

Naturally if your a large concern your better becoming a exporting company and then you can ship with your own plans (and bring things in and send them out) but for small time stuff your ging to be frustrated in many cases especially if the items are fragile.

also for many items the prices seem cheaper in Tunisia but once you add delivery and post the price i up there and many people in Tunisia are doing the same thing.

Dont let that put you off though.

L

Lissy

From friend's experience depending on what you send you could have problems with UK customs. Do NOT send any copies over as they will be immediately impounded even if declared as being copies. The customs see them as being counterfeit.

The problem with returns is another one I have come accross...far more difficult to sort from Tunisia especially if they want to return the goods and if there is a problem with payment.

Wish you luck with your plans and would love to hear how it works out.

Dolly

Even if you send by DHL/Fedex etc everything will go to France and then onto it's final destination. It is frustrating as express takes around 5 days

Roman

Hi, and what about opposite situation? If I'd like to purchase something to be delivered to Tunisia for personal usage. (for example - mobile phone.) Should any sort of custom/tax be paid?

Essem

Staff member
Hi Roman and welcome

I've heard of people haivng to pay tax on mobile phones having been posted into Tunisia and I've heard of some who haven't been charged anything:confused:

missmetal

Hi, and what about opposite situation? If I'd like to purchase something to be delivered to Tunisia for personal usage. (for example - mobile phone.) Should any sort of custom/tax be paid?
I think its like most countries, if the post office decide to inspect, you will get charged, or they will never get to their destination. I've had success with some things, and others have never arrived.

You best bet for something like that is to use Rapid Post which works with Fedex or UPS, you will at least have a tracking number.

Roman

well, i assume the shipment be fully insured and I'm not really care if I lost it. (but for sure fedex is preferable option). I'm a new person in Tunisia and unfortunately my french is not as good to dig into tax/custom regulations :)
but i believe (as in other countries) the goods under some certain cost level be tax-free?

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
The issue you will find is that the douane is a law unto itself.

Your item will not come to your house regardless of how much you pay. You will have to to to the nearest post office to go and get it.

Once you are there you might be lucky you might not but with a mobile phone for example you will be expected to pay a bit of tax even if your entitled to it (for example left you phone in france and they are sendin it back).

The good news is that it is up for negotiation in many cases.

Roman

ok. as I see there is an theoretical guesswork, and none may give a right answer.
I already received a bunch (more then 10) shipments from China without any troubles and additional custom's fees. But each the items I got is less then 100 euro. That's why I asked about minimum tax-free level.