EEA visa.. EU free movement- The Journey home on a free visa

marhaba

There has been many people asking what is the "EEA visa.. EU free movement (Surrinder Singh)?", how it works, and what to do in regards to this. So i am creating a thread so that those who wish to descover more information can come here and ask.

I have completed the SS route with my Tunisian Husband, recently this year so here goes and i hope it helps you all looking to do this also.

The main aim of Surrender singh is for people who wish to exercise their treaty rights under the EU Directive and then, if they wish, return to the UK/EU Home Country under the Surinder Singh route.

Ok so me and my husband heard about this route last year. In order for my husband to come and live with me in the UK we had to move and transfer the centre of both of our lives to another EU country. In our case we chose Ireland, as its English speaking and close to home. although many people choose other EU countries i think Ireland is by far the easiest country to complete this route.

Okay. So what do you have to do in order to bring your non EU spouse home?

Apply for the Visa for the chosen destination from the NON EU's country (Short stay visa C). The Visa is completely FREE! and GUARANTEED if you submit the correct paperwork. Now for the Schengen Zone a schengen visa is required, and is the same process.

The paperwork needed for this application:
A marriage certificate, translated by an official sworn translator, (must be translated into English along with the Arabic/French one).
The non EU spouses birth certificate.
2 passport photo's of the non EU spouse.
A copy of the non EU's Passport.
A certified signed copy of the EU spouses passport.
A cover letter from the non EU.
A cover letter from the EU citizen.
Flight itineraries.
Hotel itineraries.
The completed application for the visa. (Print when completed).

The next step is to take it to the Embassy (After applying online it may say to post it. It maybe easier to go to the Embassy than posting it). If its the Irish embassy in Tunis, you will now need to make an appointment (we didn't need an appointment at this time, but a new system is in place as many people are choosing to go to Ireland).
(Some people have said they are charging 100 Dinar's before they will process the application.In this case wave the EU directive at them and point out that it is and will be free as stated under the EU law).

for more information on the directive look here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Movement_of_Citizens_Directive

The visa should take 2 weeks to be processed. (in Tunisian time 5 weeks, as we waited that long)
If the embassy requires any more information from you they will contact you.

Okay. So once you have the visa to hand whats next?
Remember the visa with be issued for 90 days. That means you can travel to your chosen state anytime during these dates. The 90 days to find work starts from the day the non EU spouse arrives.

Now book flights for both of you. Your non EU spouse will need a return ticket ( The immigration at Tunis airport will make him or her pay 400 dinar for a return). Get a return to save any hassle. It means you may loose money by not using the return, but its all worth it. You can fly together to the state or the spouse can fly alone. (if the non EU is transiting though a different country no transit visa is needed, just DON'T transit through the UK).

Book accommodation for both of you. I used travel lodges and booked via them.

Its wise to look for accommodation before you go and try and get viewings for properties for the time you are in a hotel.

for property search we used.
www.daft.ie/

Right so you have accommodation. Next step is to go and get a national insurance number for the state your in. In Ireland its called a PPSN (personal public security number).

Documents
needed:
Marriage certificate in English.
Passport for EU citizen
Passport for non EU citizen
Tenancy agreement

You will receive them by post usually takes 5-10 days.

You now need to open a joint bank account in both your names. This proves center of life when it comes to applying for a family permit to go home.

Now find a job, any job will do as long as its for more than 10 hours a week. You can also go self employed, but more evidence is needed to apply for Family permit when your self employed. Remember the NON EU has the same rights as YOU, so they are able to work from the day they step foot into the state.

So now your working you need to apply for your spouse to stay longer. In Ireland it is called and EU1 (stamp 4).
every country calls it different things but most have the same principles and process. It is Guaranteed that the non EU spouse will get and extra 6 months in the EU state. At the end of the 6 months a decision will be made weather your spouse will get a 5 years residency card or not. The acceptance rate for receiving the 5 years residency is pretty high, providing that you have sent all the correct documents.

Documents needed for the temporary stamp 4:
Cover letter from EU citizen.
Cover letter from the non EU citizen.
Both passports.
bank statements (proving joint account).
2 wage slips for the EU citizen.
The EU citizens work contract.
PPS letters for both of you.
Tenancy agreement.
A bill in EU spouses name.
A bill in non EU spouses name.
A tax certificate for the EU citizen.
Application form.

Waiting time for this in Ireland is 4 weeks approx but can be sooner. If any other documents are needed then they will call you from the embassy of the state.

Okay, so once you have been in employment for 3 or more months you are ready to apply for the family permit home. I will note that applications submitted for 3 months employment are likely to be declined rather than applications submitted after 5/6 months of employment. (I was employed for 5 months when we got accepted).

This requires a lot of evidence to prove to the UK that you have transferred the center of your life from the UK.

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS:
APPLICATION.
Covering Letter.
Completed Application Form.
Supporting letter.
Teleperformance Appointment Information.
Passport Photos.
Marriage Certificate.
Passports.
Birth Certificates.
Irish Visa.
Stamp 4.
Residence Card.
ACCOMMODATION AND HOUSEHOLD BILLS.
Rental Agreement.
Rent Payslips.
PRTB Registration (we did not include this).
Electric/Gas/Internet Bills.
Work Confirmation/Contract and Payslips for EU citizen.
Work Confirmation/Contract and Payslips for non EU citizen.
Tax Certificates.
PPS Letters (national insurance number letters).
PPS Cards (national insurance cards).
Copies of Bank cards.
Copy of Age Card. (We got one as it boosts center of life)
Various Letters of correspondence regarding the embassy.
Bank Accounts.
Visits from Friends and Family.
Leap Cards (bus cards).
Library Cards.
Doctor Visits.
Store Cards.
Various Receipts.

Make sure you do an online application for the Visa, which is called a FAMILY PERMIT (EEAFP), which is valid for 6 months, and is FREE!
You need to register for Teleperformance so that you can track your application if you are in Ireland.
Now you must go to the local British embassy or Teleperformance to hand in the application. Make sure you copy ALL documents twice. One copy for you, the other copy goes along with the original documents when you hand them all in.

The process takes up to 21 working days (ours took 9 days).

Once FP is received your ready to go home. If for any reason FP is declined then reapply with more doccuments and a better supporting letter, stating case laws. When you go home the rest of the journey is simple.

Now your HOME in the UK.

All you need to do now is Apply for the non EU citizens national insurance number which can take up to 8 weeks to receive. Register with a doctors for the non EU. Open a bank account once you have the NINO (national insurance number). NOW YOUR READY TO APPLY FOR THE 5 YEAR RESIDENCY CARD FOR THE NON EU CITIZEN. No evidence apart from a marriage certificate is required as you have received a Family permit. The EU citizen does not need to be working either.

You apply online then print the application form and send in the post with;
Both passports.
The £55 fee.
2 passport pictures of the non EU.
The Application form.

This process takes up to 12 weeks :)

So there's the SS route! It may sound hard but its simple if you know what to do! i done a lot of digging around and research for this. i suggest if you are going to do this route you do the same too.

Here is my timeline of my SS route, done and dusted!

27th January 2014 - I flew out to Ireland with my step dad.
28th January 2014 - My hubby flew to Ireland from Tunisia Via Istanbul.
1st February 2014- Hubby started his job.

-We spent 3 days in a travel lodge, i had a direct transfer with my work from the UK. Later on i found other work.
-March i started work.
-April 2nd submitted EU1.
-May we got accepted for 6 months.
-August we submitted out documents for the FP.
-September we got our FP granted.
-October my hubby got his 5 year Irish residency.
-November he came to the UK

On a note make sure you have plenty of saving to take with you to cover rent, and food costs. We took 1100 euros between us, ended up 1000 spent on rent up front. BUT WE DID IT!!!

Now for our journey we have decided we will settle in Ireland not in the UK, due to my hubby having a very good job in Ireland which is too good to loose. We may need to reapply for a family permit every time we want to go back to the UK but its worth it as its free and we know we will get it as we have had it before.

I have all the cover letters and copies of things if anyone needs any help. Please message me.

I hope this post is useful to you as it has taken me nearly 2 hours to put together.

xxxxx

DARK ANGEL

Great job , really well done , very important and useful informations for new or old members :)

curly

This is brilliant! Really helpful. I have a question though - So as an EU national you dont need a visa to work in ireland, your just getting a visa for no EU national???

Jellycat

This is brilliant! Really helpful. I have a question though - So as an EU national you dont need a visa to work in ireland, your just getting a visa for no EU national???
Exactly. As an Eu national you can go and work in any of the other 28 Eu states and work without a visa. It's called free movement. You need a visa for your spouse to go there, but under Eu law it's a free visa. does not apply to UK citizens in the UK because stricter UK immigration laws take precedence over EU Directives. But if you happened to be Polish, French etc living in Uk you could bring your Tunisian spouse over on a free Eu visa- an EEA family permit. crazy and unfair in many ways... But that's the way it is.

joanne

What do I need to write in the cover letter please?

Melf

This is a fab post! What do you mean by "flight itineraries? Just detail which airports we intend to fly to and from and on what dates?

marhaba

This is a fab post! What do you mean by "flight itineraries? Just detail which airports we intend to fly to and from and on what dates?
Hi hun yeah they need to know what you intend on doing. Just print screen copies of flights and write up a short paragraph explaining it.

Thankyou xx

Melf

Where in Ireland did you fly to? I am struggling to find good flights at a good price :( xx

Melf

How do I get a copy of my husbands passport certified? I am in Tunisia now so will need to do it before I go home on Wednesday. I have his passport and our marriage certificate now xx

Anji

Hi
I'm looking into moving to Ireland but haven't got a clue on where the best place to go is so if anybody could advise me that would be great

Melf

I am really confused :( I have applied for this visa but it says my husband cannot work in the three months or claim anything (which we wouldn't anyway)
xxx

M_mc

There has been many people asking what is the "EEA visa.. EU free movement (Surrinder Singh)?", how it works, and what to do in regards to this. So i am creating a thread so that those who wish to descover more information can come here and ask.

I have completed the SS route with my Tunisian Husband, recently this year so here goes and i hope it helps you all looking to do this also.

The main aim of Surrender singh is for people who wish to exercise their treaty rights under the EU Directive and then, if they wish, return to the UK/EU Home Country under the Surinder Singh route.

Ok so me and my husband heard about this route last year. In order for my husband to come and live with me in the UK we had to move and transfer the centre of both of our lives to another EU country. In our case we chose Ireland, as its English speaking and close to home. although many people choose other EU countries i think Ireland is by far the easiest country to complete this route.

Okay. So what do you have to do in order to bring your non EU spouse home?

Apply for the Visa for the chosen destination from the NON EU's country (Short stay visa C). The Visa is completely FREE! and GUARANTEED if you submit the correct paperwork. Now for the Schengen Zone a schengen visa is required, and is the same process.

The paperwork needed for this application:
A marriage certificate, translated by an official sworn translator, (must be translated into English along with the Arabic/French one).
The non EU spouses birth certificate.
2 passport photo's of the non EU spouse.
A copy of the non EU's Passport.
A certified signed copy of the EU spouses passport.
A cover letter from the non EU.
A cover letter from the EU citizen.
Flight itineraries.
Hotel itineraries.
The completed application for the visa. (Print when completed).

The next step is to take it to the Embassy (After applying online it may say to post it. It maybe easier to go to the Embassy than posting it). If its the Irish embassy in Tunis, you will now need to make an appointment (we didn't need an appointment at this time, but a new system is in place as many people are choosing to go to Ireland).
(Some people have said they are charging 100 Dinar's before they will process the application.In this case wave the EU directive at them and point out that it is and will be free as stated under the EU law).

for more information on the directive look here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Movement_of_Citizens_Directive

The visa should take 2 weeks to be processed. (in Tunisian time 5 weeks, as we waited that long)
If the embassy requires any more information from you they will contact you.

Okay. So once you have the visa to hand whats next?
Remember the visa with be issued for 90 days. That means you can travel to your chosen state anytime during these dates. The 90 days to find work starts from the day the non EU spouse arrives.

Now book flights for both of you. Your non EU spouse will need a return ticket ( The immigration at Tunis airport will make him or her pay 400 dinar for a return). Get a return to save any hassle. It means you may loose money by not using the return, but its all worth it. You can fly together to the state or the spouse can fly alone. (if the non EU is transiting though a different country no transit visa is needed, just DON'T transit through the UK).

Book accommodation for both of you. I used travel lodges and booked via them.

Its wise to look for accommodation before you go and try and get viewings for properties for the time you are in a hotel.

for property search we used.
www.daft.ie/

Right so you have accommodation. Next step is to go and get a national insurance number for the state your in. In Ireland its called a PPSN (personal public security number).

Documents
needed:
Passport for EU citizen
Passport for non EU citizen
Tenancy agreement

You will receive them by post usually takes 5-10 days.

You now need to open a joint bank account in both your names. This proves center of life when it comes to applying for a family permit to go home.

Now find a job, any job will do as long as its for more than 10 hours a week. You can also go self employed, but more evidence is needed to apply for Family permit when your self employed. Remember the NON EU has the same rights as YOU, so they are able to work from the day they step foot into the state.

So now your working you need to apply for your spouse to stay longer. In Ireland it is called and EU1 (stamp 4).
every country calls it different things but most have the same principles and process. It is Guaranteed that the non EU spouse will get and extra 6 months in the EU state. At the end of the 6 months a decision will be made weather your spouse will get a 5 years residency card or not. The acceptance rate for receiving the 5 years residency is pretty high, providing that you have sent all the correct documents.

Documents needed for the temporary stamp 4:
Cover letter from EU citizen.
Cover letter from the non EU citizen.
Both passports.
bank statements (proving joint account).
2 wage slips for the EU citizen.
The EU citizens work contract.
PPS letters for both of you.
Tenancy agreement.
A bill in EU spouses name.
A bill in non EU spouses name.
A tax certificate for the EU citizen.
Application form.

Waiting time for this in Ireland is 4 weeks approx but can be sooner. If any other documents are needed then they will call you from the embassy of the state.

Okay, so once you have been in employment for 3 or more months you are ready to apply for the family permit home. I will note that applications submitted for 3 months employment are likely to be declined rather than applications submitted after 5/6 months of employment. (I was employed for 5 months when we got accepted).

This requires a lot of evidence to prove to the UK that you have transferred the center of your life from the UK.

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS:
APPLICATION.
Covering Letter.
Completed Application Form.
Supporting letter.
Teleperformance Appointment Information.
Passport Photos.
Marriage Certificate.
Passports.
Birth Certificates.
Irish Visa.
Stamp 4.
Residence Card.
ACCOMMODATION AND HOUSEHOLD BILLS.
Rental Agreement.
Rent Payslips.
PRTB Registration (we did not include this).
Electric/Gas/Internet Bills.
Work Confirmation/Contract and Payslips for EU citizen.
Work Confirmation/Contract and Payslips for non EU citizen.
Tax Certificates.
PPS Letters (national insurance number letters).
PPS Cards (national insurance cards).
Copies of Bank cards.
Copy of Age Card. (We got one as it boosts center of life)
Various Letters of correspondence regarding the embassy.
Bank Accounts.
Visits from Friends and Family.
Leap Cards (bus cards).
Library Cards.
Doctor Visits.
Store Cards.
Various Receipts.

Make sure you do an online application for the Visa, which is called a FAMILY PERMIT (EEAFP), which is valid for 6 months, and is FREE!
You need to register for Teleperformance so that you can track your application if you are in Ireland.
Now you must go to the local British embassy or Teleperformance to hand in the application. Make sure you copy ALL documents twice. One copy for you, the other copy goes along with the original documents when you hand them all in.

The process takes up to 21 working days (ours took 9 days).

Once FP is received your ready to go home. If for any reason FP is declined then reapply with more doccuments and a better supporting letter, stating case laws. When you go home the rest of the journey is simple.

Now your HOME in the UK.

All you need to do now is Apply for the non EU citizens national insurance number which can take up to 8 weeks to receive. Register with a doctors for the non EU. Open a bank account once you have the NINO (national insurance number). NOW YOUR READY TO APPLY FOR THE 5 YEAR RESIDENCY CARD FOR THE NON EU CITIZEN. No evidence apart from a marriage certificate is required as you have received a Family permit. The EU citizen does not need to be working either.

You apply online then print the application form and send in the post with;
Both passports.
The £55 fee.
2 passport pictures of the non EU.
The Application form.

This process takes up to 12 weeks :)

So there's the SS route! It may sound hard but its simple if you know what to do! i done a lot of digging around and research for this. i suggest if you are going to do this route you do the same too.

Here is my timeline of my SS route, done and dusted!

27th January 2014 - I flew out to Ireland with my step dad.
28th January 2014 - My hubby flew to Ireland from Tunisia Via Istanbul.
1st February 2014- Hubby started his job.

-We spent 3 days in a travel lodge, i had a direct transfer with my work from the UK. Later on i found other work.
-March i started work.
-April 2nd submitted EU1.
-May we got accepted for 6 months.
-August we submitted out documents for the FP.
-September we got our FP granted.
-October my hubby got his 5 year Irish residency.
-November he came to the UK

On a note make sure you have plenty of saving to take with you to cover rent, and food costs. We took 1100 euros between us, ended up 1000 spent on rent up front. BUT WE DID IT!!!

Now for our journey we have decided we will settle in Ireland not in the UK, due to my hubby having a very good job in Ireland which is too good to loose. We may need to reapply for a family permit every time we want to go back to the UK but its worth it as its free and we know we will get it as we have had it before.

I have all the cover letters and copies of things if anyone needs any help. Please message me.

I hope this post is useful to you as it has taken me nearly 2 hours to put together.

xxxxx
So helpful! But this may be a stupid question but if I'm living in Belfast but have an Irish passport does the same apply? Or is it only if ur living in the south this applies?

marhaba

So helpful! But this may be a stupid question but if I'm living in Belfast but have an Irish passport does the same apply? Or is it only if ur living in the south this applies?
if you hold an irish passport and live in northern ireland or the UK he can come stright to Northern ireland to you. you wont be able to go to southern ireland and do SS x

marhaba

feefad

if you hold an irish passport and live in northern ireland or the UK he can come stright to Northern ireland to you. you wont be able to go to southern ireland and do SS x
Just nosiness but does this mean northern irish citizens can just apply for an Irish passport rather than having to move across the border? Know people that only hold a british passport but moved south for a few months to get them here.

marhaba

Just nosiness but does this mean northern irish citizens can just apply for an Irish passport rather than having to move across the border? Know people that only hold a british passport but moved south for a few months to get them here.
Yeah you can reanounce irish citizen ship but it will be hard to get british citizenship back after x

ronaldinho

Hi everyone , please help
My wife is british and i tunisian , can apply for visa to southern irland is easy for me to meet her ther , and what type of visa if so , thank you

Jane BM

Hi everyone , please help
My wife is british and i tunisian , can apply for visa to southern irland is easy for me to meet her ther , and what type of visa if so , thank you
I'm assuming you're talking about doing the Surinder Singh route to Ireland?

ronaldinho

Hi jane bm ,i dont know what is it surinder singh but i want to go southern irland wich is not part of uk , because my wife want to meet me there , she have got friend there got flat for us , but i have no idea if the visa there is difficult or not and if it is shengen visa or what to do , if have any idea please help jane bm , thank you very much

ronaldinho

Hi again jane bm , i have been reading some informations above can i get the 90 days visa , before my wife settle in ireland ?