English Speaking Schools

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any English speaking schools in Tunis does anyone have any recommendations?

There is only one English speaking school in Tunisia - the American school in Tunis. www.acst.net. It is amazingly expensive however.
All Tunisian private schools teach English but it is only as a third language.

Oh just one school to learn English. At least there is English taught as third language, but is there any problem to communicate with people residing there or would they be able to understand American accent.

ammoun

Oh just one school to learn English. At least there is English taught as third language, but is there any problem to communicate with people residing there or would they be able to understand American accent.
Yup, very tough ... English in Tunisia is still sooo poor !

People learn it at school and then forget it because they never use it !

There is only one English speaking school in Tunisia - the American school in Tunis. www.acst.net. It is amazingly expensive however.
don't be amazed, sadly that's what we pay here for private schools:(

Tunisianbelle

There is only one English speaking school in Tunisia - the American school in Tunis. www.acst.net.
This isn't true. There are more English speaking schools. Not all of them have websites though.

There is a school in Carthage, and I know of one in Sousse. I haven't actively tried looking for them online though. I know that they are more expensive than normal private schools, but they do not go anywhere near what the American School charges. I think the most expensive one is 6,000TND a year

It is amazingly expensive however.
The American School IS expensive though - so I would not recommend it at all - your money can be better spent elsewhere and on other things. For the 2008/2009 school year they wanted 22,000TND a year per student. :eek:

All Tunisian schools -private and public- teach English as a third language. I'm not sure about when private schools start it, but public schools start this in the 5th grade.

Tunisianbelle

do they award PhD's at graduation ?:D
You wish! :p

Actual cost for the 2008/2009 school year: US$17,955 (24,598.350TND) for the first year, not including all school supplies! Here is a breakdown of the costs (http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter):

* Elementary school cost $12,105 (16,583.850TND)
* Capital fee $750 (1027.500TND)
* Testing fee $100 (137TND)
* Registration for new enrollment $5,000 (6,850TND)

But they try to be nice and allow you to apply for financial aid. If you qualify, they will determine how much you can have - the most being only 50% of tuition cost. You have to give them a bunch of information though - truly they will know EVERYTHING about you by the end! They ask for everything but the serial number to the kitchen sink!!:eek:

This isn't true. There are more English speaking schools. Not all of them have websites though.

There is a school in Carthage, and I know of one in Sousse. I haven't actively tried looking for them online though. I know that they are more expensive than normal private schools, but they do not go anywhere near what the American School charges. I think the most expensive one is 6,000TND a year
TB

I was under the impression that the one in Sousse is no longer is operational but would be grateful if you can find out otherwise.

Cathi x

Tunisianbelle

TB

I was under the impression that the one in Sousse is no longer is operational but would be grateful if you can find out otherwise.

Cathi x
As far as I know, it's still operational - unless someone is lying to me! I know someone who sends their kids there.

Are we thinking of the same school? It's an international school and they use many languages (French, German, English, Italian)

Its about 3000/3500td year,however you can save by doing packed lunches also the first year you pay 1000 dinars for registration thats a one off payment.They have a website (hubby deals with the finances) its about the same price as mission,I'm really happy I put the girls there,such a change for them and the classrooms are heated lol discipline very good and lots of european teachers.

Just to let you know. The school in Hammam Sousse has now closed. The lady who ran the school is now living back in Malta with her family and the actual school is now being occupied by someone else.
When I lived in Tunisia my son, who was 14 at the time attended a normal Tunisian school. It was a little difficult to get him in there in the beginning but he did ok. The school actually gave him a smaller timetable to follow. He is now 18 years old and he left the school with 5 diplomas. So he did ok.

I also had extra tuition outside school which I paid for but it helped him tremendously.

Now the school has closed I know of no others in the Sousse Area.

Its about 3000/3500td year,however you can save by doing packed lunches also the first year you pay 1000 dinars for registration thats a one off payment.They have a website (hubby deals with the finances) its about the same price as mission,I'm really happy I put the girls there,such a change for them and the classrooms are heated lol discipline very good and lots of european teachers.
any idea about the curriculum? are they accredited in the US ?
very reasonable

ROULLA

Just to let you know. The school in Hammam Sousse has now closed. The lady who ran the school is now living back in Malta with her family and the actual school is now being occupied by someone else.
When I lived in Tunisia my son, who was 14 at the time attended a normal Tunisian school. It was a little difficult to get him in there in the beginning but he did ok. The school actually gave him a smaller timetable to follow. He is now 18 years old and he left the school with 5 diplomas. So he did ok.

I also had extra tuition outside school which I paid for but it helped him tremendously.

Now the school has closed I know of no others in the Sousse Area.
Hi Angel01,

Hope that you and your family are all in good health ! That is fantastic, you must be so proud of him....Angel could your son speak Tunisian in the first place ?

Roulla

Thanks for your kind words. My son could speak a little Arabic and French when he started the school. Enough to get him through. He only became fluent after his attendance at the Tunisian school. He had no choice but to learn quickly, but looking back I think this was maybe the best way to have learned it.

He is now half way through the process of joining the Metropolitan police here in the UK. I also find it helps that my son in law who is tunisian lives with us so Luke can easily keep up the tunisian talking.

By the way, would like to say I was in Tunisia from 26th Dec till 11 Jan, staying at my home, and can honestly say I had a very relaxing time and wish I could have stayed longer. Never mind, going back in March.