EU travel question

MM4AS

Hi

I've been searching online for ages and cannot find a definitive answer to a question, so I'm hoping somebody here might be able to help.

Hubby got his British citizenship ages ago, but didn't apply for a UK passport. Given the mess the passport office seems to be in at the moment, we don't want to apply for one now, as it could take months. We want to drive through France to Tunisia, the same as we did two years ago, before he got his citizenship. Back then the French insisted he apply for a shengen visa, which meant having to go to london, paying a fee for the free visa, and waiting about 3 or 4 weeks. travelling to london would cost us a massive amount of money, which we can't really afford.

As a british citizen he is now entitled to travel within the eu, provided he can show acceptable photographic ID, and proof of citizenship. Now, to my mind, that means he should be able to travel on his tunisian passport as the id, so long as he also shows his citizenship certificate. BUT .... I can't find anything to confirm this. I guess because it's an unusual situation. Does anybody know if this can actually be done?

They might not even check, last time we went through the tunnel and never saw any sign of a passport control or customs!

Jane BM

Hi

I've been searching online for ages and cannot find a definitive answer to a question, so I'm hoping somebody here might be able to help.

Hubby got his British citizenship ages ago, but didn't apply for a UK passport. Given the mess the passport office seems to be in at the moment, we don't want to apply for one now, as it could take months. We want to drive through France to Tunisia, the same as we did two years ago, before he got his citizenship. Back then the French insisted he apply for a shengen visa, which meant having to go to london, paying a fee for the free visa, and waiting about 3 or 4 weeks. travelling to london would cost us a massive amount of money, which we can't really afford.

As a british citizen he is now entitled to travel within the eu, provided he can show acceptable photographic ID, and proof of citizenship. Now, to my mind, that means he should be able to travel on his tunisian passport as the id, so long as he also shows his citizenship certificate. BUT .... I can't find anything to confirm this. I guess because it's an unusual situation. Does anybody know if this can actually be done?

They might not even check, last time we went through the tunnel and never saw any sign of a passport control or customs!
In theory he shouldn't even need a Schengen, though I'd probably not take that risk!! As a partner of an EU member, as long as you have proof with you...regardless of his status here.

Now that's he's got citizenship though couldn't you do the fast track to get his passport?

Jellycat

I can't see the French accepting just a certificate. Either get the British passport or the schengen visa. I'd bite the bullet and do the passport. no reason it should take more than the guideline 6 weeks for a first passport as all his details should be on the computer. Hefty fee I know but once it's done travel do much easier.

MM4AS

thanks everybody

we were trying to avoid a long wait for his uk passport - which can't be fast tracked as it's his first uk passport. advice is to allow 8 weeks, but could be quicker or could be a lot longer! they are unable to say a maximum wait time!!!!!!

he only has a provisional driving licence which won't be classed as acceptable id, but can't imagine them saying his Tunisian passport can't be accepted as id. it's just all so complicated.

missmetal

thanks everybody

we were trying to avoid a long wait for his uk passport - which can't be fast tracked as it's his first uk passport. advice is to allow 8 weeks, but could be quicker or could be a lot longer! they are unable to say a maximum wait time!!!!!!

he only has a provisional driving licence which won't be classed as acceptable id, but can't imagine them saying his Tunisian passport can't be accepted as id. it's just all so complicated.
I applied for a Schengen for hubby and he got approved on the spot and did not have to pay. It was approved on the basis of EU/EEA Family. Showed banks statements, payslips, Employment contracts, marriage cert, copy of my passport. Maybe go down that route?

MM4AS

I applied for a Schengen for hubby and he got approved on the spot and did not have to pay. It was approved on the basis of EU/EEA Family. Showed banks statements, payslips, Employment contracts, marriage cert, copy of my passport. Maybe go down that route?
When he got a schengen visa before the French insisted he pay a processing company, to say nothing of the massive expense of getting to London!

missmetal

When he got a schengen visa before the French insisted he pay a processing company, to say nothing of the massive expense of getting to London!
Thats shocking, my hubby was fully prepared to pay but they said no, because he showed his marriage to me.

MM4AS

What country did he apply to? the visa itself was free, but the processing company fee and the cost of getting to london was close to £200, and i think most of the embassies want you to apply in person . anyway he's applying for his uk passport now, and just hope it doesn't take forever

missmetal

What country did he apply to? the visa itself was free, but the processing company fee and the cost of getting to london was close to £200, and i think most of the embassies want you to apply in person . anyway he's applying for his uk passport now, and just hope it doesn't take forever
Ah i see, yes we applied in person, here in Canada. He applied through the french embassy.