Exporting Car to Tunisia:

KB72

I don't deal with it, the Mr does. He gets cheap rates, I have no idea if it is because he knows people or does a deal but I hasn't exceeded £140 max yet. We've rented in November and March. We are in Djerba though, further south and not in places such as Hammamet so I don't know whether that has any influence on prices. Also for petrol we don't use the stations. You'd be amazed how much 10 friggin Dinars gets you compared to what we pay here for fuel!

Waqar

Thats a real good rate- were based in Sfax and then travel around we usually pay something like 70dinars a day!

so for 4 weeks it usually costs us 2000 dinars! Hence the reason to take a car from here and leave there for as and when...if it would cost us say £100 a week for four weeks that would be amazing!!!

My brother in law and father in law do the deals and thats the best we get..it could well be that 70dinars a day is for summer prices when they bump everything up???

Would be really interested who he uses :)

KB72

He normally gets them in Zarzis near his family home. The annoying thing about the car places there is they don't advertise on their cars! I see nice hire cars zooming around and I wonder where the heck they get them from. I end up with Symbols that go 0 - 60 in 90 seconds if I am lucky, and look like they have been in destruction derby. Although last time I did have a Kia which was nice. I don't mind if the car is covered in dents because they wouldn't argue if I'd made one ;) They pick us up from Djerba airport when I land, drive back to Zarzis so they can get home and then we see family and take the car back to Djerba. You can get some really nice Tunisian people who will always help.
I will ask him who they are. They provide me their family car seats too, being English I need a car seat! Lol.

I love love love driving in Djerba, long roads and there is no strict highway code. Only thing is you can take the girl out of England, but can't take England out of the girl because the Mr always moans at me to stay in the middle of the two lanes explaining that people walk in the road and they put bins in the road, the lighting is rubbish and you can't see them soon enough but I can't resist my indication and lane discpline for the first week and then I do Tunisian on their arse and forget what a lane is.
I must say that there is no way would you get me driving in Tunis etc, I would have heart failure or develop road rage. Driving doesn't scare me but the congestion is something I would rather avoid over there!

Waqar

Sounds good and very cheap compared to Sfax- nightmare to drive but fun - have driven all arounf Tunisia and you just have to go with the flow but have to be alert all the time cos anything can happen as you say...

your right getting a dented car is much better then a new one cos your always weary whats going to happen!

I would come to Zarzis and get a car for that price- its almost half of what i may end up paying...

Sikka Ding

wow thats fantastic have the rules now changed under the new regime or has this always been the case...
so in essence my wife can ship the car over present her FCR with correct paperwork and drive away?
Hello, I will tell you my experiance and will know that if an FCR can keep and sell a tax-free or not.

I have been sold a car by A Tunisian who lived in Dubai for 11 years. He needed to sell his imported car from Dubai, as his Wife did not like Tunisia (ahem), and he found me- a non-french speaking simple living. I have extended this car for 1 year on my resident card, and now stuck with the the customs, whom I have met 5 times in last week. This is just being a Nissan Tiida Hatchback they are asking for ..42000/- Euro (yes thousand, you read it right) as customs tax.

I was told by the customs officer in Tunis- I cannot sell this car to any local, and only way as a foreign resident with me is to keep this car out of the country for 6 months and bring it back.

I want to keep this car, its a a good car, even though its sold to me by means of a cheating; and I want to try any options which can allow me to keep it here atleast another years or so. Any help here please?

If this guys have had FCR, I am not sure why he could not sell to local?

Scottochott

The car in question has obviously not been brought in on an FCR, sounds like it has RS or foreign plates, so the rules do not count. I have imported a couple of cars with an FCR and sold them on with no problem

Sikka Ding

The car in question has obviously not been brought in on an FCR, sounds like it has RS or foreign plates, so the rules do not count. I have imported a couple of cars with an FCR and sold them on with no problem
Hi Scottchott.

You are indeed right. I trust your experience. I wish I am as lucky as you are. The guy actually brought this car from Dubai. He sold it to me, by taking me to Algeria and sign this sell agreement in Tunisian Embassy. I am not not even sure, if it was legal to purchase a car like this.

What do you recommend in my problem? Any idea, can I sell to any FCR? Or any lawyer who can help me to extend it for a year? I am ready to pay the customs if its reasonable...but do you think Euro 42000 is fair customs for a car of 1/4th price? Any help, guidance welcome here. Thanks

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
This sounds like a horrendous mistake.

Did the numberplate start with a arabic characters/RS or a number?

FCR one time turn your car Tunisian.

RS drive your foreign car in Tunisia but restricted.

"He sold it to me, by taking me to Algeria and sign this sell agreement in Tunisian Embassy"

Surely this must have rang some bells as selling a regular car does not involve cross border travel.

Now my question to you is this... did you pay the right price for the car re a no VAT cheap price if so np you will just have to sell it to a ex pat Tunisian with connections who can get the job done.

I had the same problem I was told my wife had RS/FCR but then they said not quite when I actually got there.

Thousands in payouts later I had a solution where the car was taken to the customs depot in ben arous (which is considered off shore) and then the guy I sold it to (tunisian with FCR) collected it from there.

It was a nightmare which required backhander money, wasted time and having friends in the know.

I dont know if this system is still in place you need the services for someone skilled in the dark arts but then without knowing them you may get ripped off by them.

The douane price is crazy but then i was quoted 60,000 dinars on a golf+ so nothing shocks me.

If you have translator then I would visit a import export company in Tunis who do international moves for Tunisians abroad as they probably have contacts in customs.

I would also get the car advertised for sale there are guys in Tunisia who buy the cars cheap and the FCRs and make money after but they will want the car cheap.

This is all making the bad memories come back this was horrendous when I had this issue.

Sikka Ding

This sounds like a horrendous mistake.
The number started with Dubai Export. Obviously the seller did not pay any tax in Dubai and he sold it to me in Algeria.

Probably you are 100 on 100 right. And I see a good loss of money and a time I should have had. Unfortunately, I could not make so deep relations here and just relying that money works!

I will try with the hints you have given. If there is any direct contacts, please share with me ....

Question here- if a foreigner can sell such car to another foreigner in Tunisia?

Also, is there a possibility that such a transaction could be proves illegal on part of seller (if I want to bring him to such terms)?

Thanks

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Question here- if a foreigner can sell such car to another foreigner in Tunisia?

Yes they can but maybe what I did was bending the rules so you will have to see an expert. Dont bother with the douane unless you get a higher ranking official.

Also, is there a possibility that such a transaction could be proves illegal on part of seller (if I want to bring him to such terms)?

You could but since your bought the car in Algeria they wil say how come you went through the process of buying a car over there? I would not count your chances unless in the sales document in the Tunisian embassy the product you where sold was not the one you received.

Scottochott

Your best option is to take the car out of the country and sell it, I don't see a legal solution in Tunisia.

Jane BM

The number started with Dubai Export. Obviously the seller did not pay any tax in Dubai and he sold it to me in Algeria.

Probably you are 100 on 100 right. And I see a good loss of money and a time I should have had. Unfortunately, I could not make so deep relations here and just relying that money works!

I will try with the hints you have given. If there is any direct contacts, please share with me ....

Thanks
Sunil, hope you don't mind, but I've edited your post and removed your email address, best not to have it on an open forum. You can pm any members with it if you wish.

Sikka Ding

Sunil, hope you don't mind, but I've edited your post and removed your email address, best not to have it on an open forum. You can pm any members with it if you wish.
Sorry, indeed I was looking for how to PM a member...I knew it might not be rejected.

Sikka Ding

Kris, Scottochot, as I am looking at number of options, and selling it to FCR is one option. But is it correct that a FCR can have only one car per house-hold (Husband-wife)? I read that Scottochot did sell the cars a "couple" of times, while I understand this is allowed only once in life-time.

Jane BM

Sorry, indeed I was looking for how to PM a member...I knew it might not be rejected.
If you go onto a persons profile it'll show you the option of starting a conversation...

Scottochott

Kris, Scottochot, as I am looking at number of options, and selling it to FCR is one option. But is it correct that a FCR can have only one car per house-hold (Husband-wife)? I read that Scottochot did sell the cars a "couple" of times, while I understand this is allowed only once in life-time.
You are right in one way, but it is possible to buy an FCR, when I was doing it it only cost about 2000TD, but now is over 5000TD! You have to balance it all against the value of the car