FCR: The Rules....

Waqar

Hello All.

Ok I understand to sell a car in Tunisia you need to have the FCR and the car to be less than 5 years (or perhaps 3 years) old..

ok so what is the ruling on exporting a car to Tunisia on a FCR which is more than 5 years old- say 10 years old- LHD but not to sell only to keep there for us to drive? Plan is to export a car to Tunisia leave it there and we only drive when we go back say twice a year, is this allowed or does it still need to be 5 years or younger?

Thanks

Scottochott

I think you're confusing things. The rules for an FCR relate to importing a car to Tunisia, it has to be less than 5 years old (was previously 3 but rules have since changed). You are free to sell it or keep it. In your case of leaving it there for a couple of visits a year the same rules apply if you have FCR. You could drive an older car there but would have to leave with it so I think your only option is to take a car less than 5 years old.

Waqar

ok thanks- so best bet is take a car from 2008 onwards....ok so how would the mrs go about applying for the FCR?

Scottochott

ok thanks- so best bet is take a car from 2008 onwards....ok so how would the mrs go about applying for the FCR?
You have to apply to the Tunisian customs, la douane

Waqar

is that in Tunisia or via the embassy here? Do you have a website I can use or is it done in the country? If so how long before my wife can get it if its done there? Does it have to be done in Tunis or any customs place in Tunisia (if they exist)

Essem

Staff member
is that in Tunisia or via the embassy here? Do you have a website I can use or is it done in the country? If so how long before my wife can get it if its done there? Does it have to be done in Tunis or any customs place in Tunisia (if they exist)
http://translate.googleusercontent....id=123&usg=ALkJrhgCTnjwK4mj-FQro7cyt4T9eNnKDw

and
http://translate.googleusercontent....id=126&usg=ALkJrhgnkDMDEhPvdxqHSQ7BPB3U48zmrw

Website is in French and translated on line - French might be better for your wife.

Hope this helps.

Essem

Staff member
http://translate.googleusercontent....id=123&usg=ALkJrhgCTnjwK4mj-FQro7cyt4T9eNnKDw

and
http://translate.googleusercontent....id=126&usg=ALkJrhgnkDMDEhPvdxqHSQ7BPB3U48zmrw

Website is in French and translated on line - French might be better for your wife.

Hope this helps.

Essem

Staff member
I saw one FCR for 5000TD on either Tayara.tn or Ballouchi.com

Scottochott

5000TD sounds about right as the going rate to buy an FCR, it's recently gone up a lot, we were buying them for 2000TD less than 2 years ago.

Waqar

thanks guys lots on info here...im gonna read all this but what does the Mrs need to do to obtain the FCR- what does she need and will the car need to be registered under her name? were looking to buy from Europe but may not get a chance to get the paperwork for the car in her name except for a receipt...if this happens can she take the car from Customs??

Scottochott

Obviously the car will have to be registered in the same name as the holder of the FCR. As I previously said she will have to obtain an FCR from Tunisian customs.

I'm trying to help here Waqar but not sure how many times I can repeat the same thing without going insane, lol! I suggest you speak to Tunisian customs for more info, bear in mind you have to give them the story that your wife is coming back to Tunisia to live, FCR is designed to help returning Tunisians after at least 2 years abroad. As well as a car you , or more accurately she, is entitled to bring house contents as well. This is a once only opportunity, you/she can only do it once so make it worthwhile!

Waqar

Lol - thanks for this...so with an FCR you can bring any item in and not be charged tax on this including household items, electronics etc etc...ok dokey best to bring a massive seven seater loaded to the roof top! Thanks very much guys!

Jane BM

Obviously the car will have to be registered in the same name as the holder of the FCR. As I previously said she will have to obtain an FCR from Tunisian customs.

I'm trying to help here Waqar but not sure how many times I can repeat the same thing without going insane, lol! I suggest you speak to Tunisian customs for more info, bear in mind you have to give them the story that your wife is coming back to Tunisia to live, FCR is designed to help returning Tunisians after at least 2 years abroad. As well as a car you , or more accurately she, is entitled to bring house contents as well. This is a once only opportunity, you/she can only do it once so make it worthwhile!
Soooooo without sending you completely doolally...if your Tunisian spouse has an FCR, then they can take household goods/furniture over on a one off deal? Without paying duty on it?

Scottochott

Soooooo without sending you completely doolally...if your Tunisian spouse has an FCR, then they can take household goods/furniture over on a one off deal? Without paying duty on it?
Yes, the FCR is a one off helping hand for returning Tunisians, you can bring a car and enough goods to set up house, no import tax payable

Waqar

ok...so what would happen if we used the FCR to do this but actually dident stay in Tunisia..
my wife seems to think she can get another FCR after another 5 years after being issued her "first" one and using that which would make her eligible to pay a tax on good being imported?

Scottochott

ok...so what would happen if we used the FCR to do this but actually dident stay in Tunisia..
my wife seems to think she can get another FCR after another 5 years after being issued her "first" one and using that which would make her eligible to pay a tax on good being imported?
Now you've lost me, that is not my understanding. There would be no problem in leaving again after using your FCR but I don't think you'd get another one. You really need to speak to customs

May I ask how did it all work out for you? As I'm trying to do the same now (5 years later from your posting date)..
I'd appreciate your advice and your experience (assuming you'd gone through with it or at least tried to..)

Many thanks in advance Mr Waqar.