First time travel to the UK with a visa

bascar

I know that this has been covered before, but things do change so quickly..... My husband has only just applied so I am probably jumping the gun a little here as well. If his application is successful I want to travel to Tunisia to get him ... can anyone give me some advice on booking flights etc ... I would imagine that I will get a one way flight from here (I am midlands based) ... and then we will have to book a flight seperately for us to return ... any experience of what the best options are ... how do we book the flights... on line? or physically in Tunisia? .... Also I have been told the Birmingham airport has full immigration controls and so we could fly into Birmingham, not Manchester or Heathrow ... can anyone confirm this for me please ?

Jane BM

I know that this has been covered before, but things do change so quickly..... My husband has only just applied so I am probably jumping the gun a little here as well. If his application is successful I want to travel to Tunisia to get him ... can anyone give me some advice on booking flights etc ... I would imagine that I will get a one way flight from here (I am midlands based) ... and then we will have to book a flight seperately for us to return ... any experience of what the best options are ... how do we book the flights... on line? or physically in Tunisia? .... Also I have been told the Birmingham airport has full immigration controls and so we could fly into Birmingham, not Manchester or Heathrow ... can anyone confirm this for me please ?
I'm in Birmingham as well. Yes in theory they should be able to travel to any airport that has full immigration control. The problem you MAY have if you book with one of the airlines that operate in the Midlands is the fact that it's a one way ticket for a Tunisian national on a Tunisian passport, they don't like doing one way tickets sometimes for some reason. It's not the airport that's the problem. So you'd need to contact the airline and see what they say.

I didn't have these problems because I didn't fly out, my husband booked his flight in Tunisia with Tunisair and flew to. Heathrow.

bascar

hmmm ... I wonder if its possible to book 2 return flights from Birmingham with say Thomsons and for only me to travel on the first leg of the journey , then for both of us to travel back together ???

Scottochott

If you fail to travel on the outbound flight your return will be cancelled, this is true for all flights.

Delia35

I've just booked my husbands. I did direct with Thomas Cook. I've got a return and his is a single. If you book 2 returns from Birmingham with travel republic and your husband doesn't use the outbound flight it invalidates the inbound flight. Easy to do just phone Thomas c direct.

Delia35

Also be prepared for a long wait to hear about visa. Ours was 13 and 1/2 weeks. I got my mp involved and heard quickly within a week that the UKBA had granted the visa once my mp looked into the case. We applied 22.10.13 and heard the end of jan it was granted.

Jane BM

Also be prepared for a long wait to hear about visa. Ours was 13 and 1/2 weeks. I got my mp involved and heard quickly within a week that the UKBA had granted the visa once my mp looked into the case. We applied 22.10.13 and heard the end of jan it was granted.
Your MP has nothing to do with the visa process I'm afraid. If it goes to appeal then yes they can become involved if they feel some sort of injustice had been carried out. However for a straightforward visa application they have no sway whatsoever.

rosanna

Hi we are in the same position just waiting I've also been enquiring about flights I found out that their first flight has to be from Tunis in theory they can travel to an airport with full immigration but the prob is that Thomas Cook / thomson don't fly from Tunis ! British airways are not at present flying to and from tunisia so only option seems to be tunisair when I looked on their website I couldn't find any Manchester Birmingham or gat wick flights so I called them they told me at the present time they are only flying to and from heathrow !! Until further notice which is not giving us any choice but to book Tunis to heathrow what a pain !!! X

Jane BM

Hi we are in the same position just waiting I've also been enquiring about flights I found out that their first flight has to be from Tunis in theory they can travel to an airport with full immigration but the prob is that Thomas Cook / thomson don't fly from Tunis ! British airways are not at present flying to and from tunisia so only option seems to be tunisair when I looked on their website I couldn't find any Manchester Birmingham or gat wick flights so I called them they told me at the present time they are only flying to and from heathrow !! Until further notice which is not giving us any choice but to book Tunis to heathrow what a pain !!! X
Who told you their first flight had to be from Tunis Rosanna?

Delia35

Sorry Jane. You are wrong. My mp did find out information for us!!!!

Delia35

I didn't say they could sway it. All I said was I got her involved. ....

Jane BM

Sorry Jane. You are wrong. My mp did find out information for us!!!!
What am I wrong about then? You've said yourself just that your MP didn't sway anything....which LEGALLY they cannot do. Information about what then? Because they cannot interfere or involve themselves in a visa application unless the circumstances are as I described above. Anybody can ring Worldbridge or even find the number for the embassy and make general enquiries. If your MP did that, that's fine...doesn't sound like he/she speeded up the process though..., which is what you've suggested. The length of time you waited is about average right now it seems.

bascar

Where did the information come from that the first flight has to be from Tunis ??? ... thats a bummer :(

Essem

Staff member
Wasn't the first flight issue about only scheduled airlines being first time carriers as the Tour Operators (Thomsons, Thos Cook) aren't really meant to sell one way tickets.

Delia35

What am I wrong about then? You've said yourself just that your MP didn't sway anything....which LEGALLY they cannot do. Information about what then? Because they cannot interfere or involve themselves in a visa application unless the circumstances are as I described above. Anybody can ring Worldbridge or even find the number for the embassy and make general enquiries. If your MP did that, that's fine...doesn't sound like he/she speeded up the process though..., which is what you've suggested. The length of time you waited is about average right now it seems.
I think all I was saying was that you implied I didn't know what I was talking about and I was completely wrong. My mp did speed it up a little! Whilst she didn't sway the decision. She sped up us finding out it had been granted. As we wouldn't have heard for another couple of weeks waiting for the visa/ passport to arrive back to the Tunis Bristish embassy. I understand from other postings you have writtenyou know a lot about the systems and visa process which is great for people who have questions and are totally blown away by the whole ordeal. I was just giving my situation to help answer the question. So sorry if there has been crossed wires via what I wrote! That was not my intention I just was trying to support and encourage.

Jane BM

I think all I was saying was that you implied I didn't know what I was talking about and I was completely wrong. My mp did speed it up a little! Whilst she didn't sway the decision. She sped up us finding out it had been granted. As we wouldn't have heard for another couple of weeks waiting for the visa/ passport to arrive back to the Tunis Bristish embassy. I understand from other postings you have writtenyou know a lot about the systems and visa process which is great for people who have questions and are totally blown away by the whole ordeal. I was just giving my situation to help answer the question. So sorry if there has been crossed wires via what I wrote! That was not my intention I just was trying to support and encourage.
No I wasn't suggesting you didn't know what you were talking about...but I didn't want people thinking their MP could become involved in the Visa process.

What you've experienced seems to be a common problem lately, never used to hear of this before. Where a visa has been granted yet they don't let you know for weeks, others have had this recently too.

Whereas before, soon as the decision was made, you knew. (Still took us 10 weeks though when everyone else seemed to get a decision within a few days!:rolleyes:).

Last edited:

rosanna

Who told you their first flight had to be from Tunis Rosanna?
From a friend who is a travel rep for Thomas Cook in tunisia she has lived there many years also my solicitor told me this only the first flight x

daffodil

Well as Tunisair only fly from Tunis this is correct information you have been given Rosanna

Jane BM

Essem is right....their first flight has to be on a scheduled flight as opposed to charter flight. So the only reason it's Tunis right now is because Tunisair only goes from there to the UK. God seems like the choices are getting more and more restricted by the day.

But I've just noticed that Delia has said she's booked her husbands with TC? So now I'm extra confused!!!

scooby

Essem is right....their first flight has to be on a scheduled flight as opposed to charter flight. So the only reason it's Tunis right now is because Tunisair only goes from there to the UK. God seems like the choices are getting more and more restricted by the day.

But I've just noticed that Delia has said she's booked her husbands with TC? So now I'm extra confused!!!
Im confused now too. Can they fly from Enfidha with THomas cook. ?? X