First time travel to the UK with a visa

scooby

Wasn't the first flight issue about only scheduled airlines being first time carriers as the Tour Operators (Thomsons, Thos Cook) aren't really meant to sell one way tickets.
This just a choice of Tunisair from Tunis then Essem? X

scooby

I've just booked my husbands. I did direct with Thomas Cook. I've got a return and his is a single. If you book 2 returns from Birmingham with travel republic and your husband doesn't use the outbound flight it invalidates the inbound flight. Easy to do just phone Thomas c direct.
Is this your hubbys first flight to uk. Delia.

Last edited:

Trulymadlydeeply

I thought it had to be scheduled and not a charter 1st time..

Jane BM

Me too. Would make things a lot easier If we are thinking wrong.x
If it's scheduled then it's only Tunisair now...but I'm under the impression it's Delia's husbands first flight and he's not doing Tunisiair. I don't actually see why it needs to be scheduled anyway to be honest, it's immigration control at this end that should be the issue!!

Essem

Staff member
This just a choice of Tunisair from Tunis then Essem? X
Or Air France/Lufthansa (or any other scheduled airline) that flies into London/UK airport with full immigration controls.

Essem

Staff member
If it's scheduled then it's only Tunisair now...but I'm under the impression it's Delia's husbands first flight and he's not doing Tunisiair. I don't actually see why it needs to be scheduled anyway to be honest, it's immigration control at this end that should be the issue!!
Could it possibly be that charter airlines aren't really supposed to sell one way tickets as their function is packaged round trips? But why would that only apply to the first flight?

Jane BM

Could it possibly be that charter airlines aren't really supposed to sell one way tickets as their function is packaged round trips? But why would that only apply to the first flight?
Exactly....we all know it's hit and miss as to whether they actually do this all the time, clearly sometimes they still do, because Delia has managed it.

I think this whole first flight has to be on a scheduled airline is a myth that's been perpetuated over time. Don't see why...it's the immigration control this end that's the requirement.

Wish I'd looked into this more when Aymen first came, but as he was in the north he flew from Tunis with Tunisair anyway.

If it's the case, I'd like to know why?

Trulymadlydeeply

Back in the day, lol, NO charter flights were sold to Tunisian Nationals. On your confirmation at the bottom printed it used to say Not to be sold to Tunisian Nationals!!!! We travelled 2 or 3 years ago with Thomson's as we checked in they said they had to check with the airline if EX could travel. Needless to say didn't go down very well :eek::oops:

Jane BM

Aymen has travelled many times since he came here with TC and chartered flights, no problems at all. Still don't get why scheduled flight for first flight.

Reba1986

I did ask that question when I went to the Tunis Air office in Sousse and was told its for them to make money....no actual reason for it to be a scheduled flight

rosanna

Im confused now too. Can they fly from Enfidha with THomas cook. ?? X
No they can only fly from Tunis with any airline in theory but in reality there's only tunisair now that fly from Tunis to United Kingdom British airways have stopped all their flights at present to tunisia and at the moment tunisair told me they are only flying to heathrow which is rubbish for a lot of people the only good thing is when I looked a couple of weeks ago they were very cheap !!!!

Jane BM

No they can only fly from Tunis with any airline in theory but in reality there's only tunisair now that fly from Tunis to United Kingdom British airways have stopped all their flights at present to tunisia and at the moment tunisair told me they are only flying to heathrow which is rubbish for a lot of people the only good thing is when I looked a couple of weeks ago they were very cheap !!!!
So if you're saying with any airline Rosanna, then you're saying it doesn't matter if it's a scheduled flight or a chartered flight?

rosanna

So if you're saying with any airline Rosanna, then you're saying it doesn't matter if it's a scheduled flight or a chartered flight?
I'm not sure about that jane all I know is that the first flight is only allowed from Tunis and Thomas Cook and thomson don't fly from Tunis so that put them out of the picture british airways are not flying from tunisia at all al present and tunisair have at present suspended flights for Gatwick and Manchester so it narrows it down a great deal to tunisair from Tunis to heathrow which is rubbish

Jane BM

I've looked into this a little, or rather as much as I can before hitting a brick wall.

It's NOT about the airport they leave from in Tunisia, nor is about their first flight being with Tunisair. it IS about it being a scheduled flight rather than a chartered flight. The only reason that means both Tunis and Tunisair is because currently it's only Tunisair that fly scheduled direct flights to the UK. However if BA ever decided to resurrect their flights, they could equally fly them.

What I can't get to the bottom of is why though? I've been told it's CAA who set the rules (civil aviation authority). I've even been told that it IS possible for then to take a charter flight under some circumstances.

All I need now is for Delia to come back on once her husband has arrived in the UK to let is know that he came here for the first time on a chartered flight as she's mentioned she booked.

Delia35

Hi all.
So despite checking with my lawyer and asking Thomas cook. We were sold a flight saying it was fine for first time; Enfidha to Manchester. !!!!
To cut a long story short it wasn't we were told he couldn't check in. However after many tears from me The Civil Avaition chief came. He agreed we could fly if we paid 60 TND for a special stamp!!!! Passport control had a jobs worth we were kept waiting while he chatted to his friend as to whether his visa was fake or no!!!! We took off with only 25 people on a large plane. UK passport was a piece of cake. 5 minutes and we were collecting the cases. I am fuming with TC AS I was extremely clear about our circumstances. They should never have sold the tickets. So whilst we were extremely lucky and they let us fly. I would to suggest to anyone now don't risk it.

Delia35

Ps after 3 1/2 years together and 11 months married, we are having an amazing UK honeymoon together. So to all who are waiting for visas et al it's so worth it once your husbands are here in the uk.

Jane BM

Hi all.
So despite checking with my lawyer and asking Thomas cook. We were sold a flight saying it was fine for first time; Enfidha to Manchester. !!!!
To cut a long story short it wasn't we were told he couldn't check in. However after many tears from me The Civil Avaition chief came. He agreed we could fly if we paid 60 TND for a special stamp!!!! Passport control had a jobs worth we were kept waiting while he chatted to his friend as to whether his visa was fake or no!!!! We took off with only 25 people on a large plane. UK passport was a piece of cake. 5 minutes and we were collecting the cases. I am fuming with TC AS I was extremely clear about our circumstances. They should never have sold the tickets. So whilst we were extremely lucky and they let us fly. I would to suggest to anyone now don't risk it.
Fantastic news that he's finally here !!!!!! Don't know if you saw my post above but what you've said seems to confirm it was accurate info I was given and it is down to the CAA....I'd heard similar stories of people who'd paid an extra surcharge and were granted permission to fly charter...but yes not worth the hassle, better to book a scheduled flight for their first flight to the UK. Least not something you need to worry about anymore now Delia.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Essem

Staff member
Typical of out here - the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing:banghead:

60TD is the cost of the exit stamp that all residents should pay.

Have a wonderful honeymoon and hope he settles in well.

Delia35

Yes jane I did read back a few posts and see. Like you have researched depends who is on duty that day I think. It could have been a different outcome with someone else.