Harissa

Essem

Staff member
Does anyone know if you can buy Harissa up here in Scotland? He can't eat anything without it!!!!! x
Hi catwoman,

Sainbury's stock the exotic Belazu Rose Harissa - I love it, but in moderation.

Try adding a spoonful of harissa with several tablespoons of créme fraîche and a handful of chopped coriander for an instant dip.

Hbrown1

Banned
Essem great i'm going to make this for hubby......thanx

lynsey:o)

Hi Hbrown1

i have sent you the harissaa receipe by PM :)

Have fun, i couldnt believe how easy it is to make :)

catwoman1

H Essem Thanks for that. We don,t have a Sainsbury where I live - just a wee town! Have got a Tescos so will have to check that out! Think he will have to bring over else he will starve!!! x

ROULLA

Hi Catwomen hope that you and your family are all in good health! I was wondering if you have a halal butchers where you live as they always sell harissa..

catwoman1

Hi Roulla, We are all fine thanks, and you? No we don't have that kind of butchers here at all! Such a wee town with not much here! Might have in the city but Im not too sure! x

Hbrown1

Banned
Hi Hbrown1

i have sent you the harissaa receipe by PM :)

Have fun, i couldnt believe how easy it is to make :)
Hi lynsey,

Got receipe thank you so much x x

Can someone post the recipe for harissa on here for us all to enjoy.

Thanks

Mike

Hbrown1

Banned
Hi All,

Here is the reecipe for harrisa.

Helen x x

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
• 10-12 dried red chili peppers
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin

Preparation:

Soak the dried chilies in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain. Remove stems and seeds.

In a food processor combine chili peppers, garlic, salt and olive oil. Blend.

Add remaining spices and blend to form a smooth paste.

Store in an air tight container.

Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on top to keep fresh.

Will keep for a month in the refrigerator.

lourodos

Banned
What do the ladies do for their guys when they really can not eat Harissa. Do you cook seperate? one with one without? I'm a bit worried that my cooking nice as it is will be no way near hot enough!!!!!! bit i just can't do Harissa for me. Any tips? When I eat it i feel like i'm going to explode lol!

Mezoo

VIP Member
What do the ladies do for their guys when they really can not eat Harissa. Do you cook separate? one with one without? I'm a bit worried that my cooking nice as it is will be no way near hot enough!!!!!! bit i just can't do Harissa for me. Any tips? When I eat it i feel like i'm going to explode lol!
explode,,,/Ha,,,well,,,,
You might as wel get used to it, that's the way it is for anybody married to a Tunisian, that's not Harissa ! ! ! :D

lourodos

Banned
explode,,,/Ha,,,well,,,,
You might as wel get used to it, that's the way it is for anybody married to a Tunisian, that's not Harissa ! ! ! :D

Isn't it him to be doing the exploding!!!! :0 :-P :)

ROULLA

What do the ladies do for their guys when they really can not eat Harissa. Do you cook seperate? one with one without? I'm a bit worried that my cooking nice as it is will be no way near hot enough!!!!!! bit i just can't do Harissa for me. Any tips? When I eat it i feel like i'm going to explode lol!
Hi Lourodos, hope that you and your family are all in good health! Whatever you do don't drink water..Your mouth will feel hotter, keep practising every day with a small amount then a bit more and more and more and then you will get used to it...Besides you don't have to eat harissa, its your choice...

Mezoo

VIP Member
Isn't it him to be doing the exploding!!!! :0 :-P :)
Ha ha-I know--boom---I first did not like it. Then put up with it. Now I love it ! Exploding all the way. I use it with everything now and love it. :D

Thanks for the recipe.

I might try my own varient, with slightly more garlic, and slightly less chillies. I suspect it will suit my tastebuds better.

Thanks again.

Mike

sparkle

That sounds good mike - altough i love my mother in laws version its very hot

hubby likes anything that burns the roof of your mouth off :)

caley

Hi, just wanted to say that the Harissa tastes much better if you dont add the coriander....most recipes say add it, and most online cookbook sites say add it, but unless its really fresh and you use it sparingly....it doesnt do the same thing! I have a jar of the actual harissa from tunisia.....well....its more of a 'can' of harissa, anyway.....i tried cooking my own with and without coriander and without tastes alot better!! just my advice!! I think the coriander is supposed to combat some of the sharpness of the vinegar and the heat of the chillies....but it just gives it a bit of an odd taste. I find that if you make it too hot......you can mix a bit of plain yoghurt in with it to cool it down....or.....add a little cold water and leave in the fridge for 10 minutes or so...then drain it and then add a dash more olive oil and store as usual.

hope that helps xx

lynsey:o)

Hi Caley,

Thanks for this, i will try it again with out the Corriander, especially if it tastes much better :)

Thanks again

Traditional Harissa.

Hi, all. :D

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to make a traditional Harissa paste?? The sort that "Mama makes back home". I'm guessing it's fairly simple, and only really requires blending, but I wonder what ingredients are needed?? I tried looking up recipes, but they're all conflicting...

Thanks, all. :D