Harissa

Black Mamba

OMG with tuna and some baguette!

In our house, we call them "green harissa" and "red harissa". :D I've got the green harissa down perfect, but am having a bit of trouble with the red one. I don't know if that narrows it down at all... Lol.
Basically, I want to make the one in the bottom picture Tunisianbelle posted. :D

Black Mamba

Green harissa is called hrouss :D I love it

Green harissa is called hrouss :D I love it
Me, too!! It's our traditional summer BBQ "salad", with Lebonese or Afghan bread. :D

We also put some of it in the mix for our BBQ burgers, too, and it gives them a totally unique flavour along with the other ingredients. :D

When I was pregnant the first time (ended in miscarriage), I craved it like no-one's business.

CeeCee

You dry LOTS of red peppers. Once dry, add garlic, tabil (corriander), and mix it all together to crush it up into a paste.
when you dry all the peppers do you leave the seeds in them too when they are crushed?...never tried it but i fancied having a go,and what do i eat it with please?...thank you xx :)

Black Mamba

when you dry all the peppers do you leave the seeds in them too when they are crushed?...never tried it but i fancied having a go,and what do i eat it with please?...thank you xx :)
Mum leaves the seeds if she wants it to be hot.
You cook with it mostly, or you can use it for sandwiches just like with Marmite:D

My boyfriend uses harissa instead of butter. Lol. I use it to butter one side of a baguette, and use butter on the other, but him -- he could use half a tin on one baguette. I keep warning him about stomach troubles, but -- since when did a girlfriend's nagging actually be listened to?? :D

marhaba

yukkk harrisa :(

sianperkins89

yukkk harrisa :(
i used to feel that way about it too! lol until i realised you can't really avoid it in a lot of tunisian cooking (unless you wanna cook it yourself!) and then learned to like it :D
but i found that it makes my teeth hurt when i eat it. :confused: but it won't stop me now...

paula01

i used to feel that way about it too! lol until i realised you can't really avoid it in a lot of tunisian cooking (unless you wanna cook it yourself!) and then learned to like it :D
but i found that it makes my teeth hurt when i eat it. :confused: but it won't stop me now...
I love harrisa but when they were drying the chillies in the village my daughter picked one up and rubbed her face and it really burned her. :eek:

CeeCee

is it made with just chilli peppers or ordinary red peppers too? ...xx.:)

tracylouise

Just so everyone can see the difference - Here is the picture of harissa in a tin:

And Harissa Arbe (homemade) and that is olive oil in there:

tunisianbelle please could u pm me this one i love it i can never seem to get it that red ummm i do the pounding of the seeds but its the redness i cant seem to master, would really love to get it this red? thanks and i love ur website with all the food yummi i have cooked all of them thanks to you,xxxxx:)

Soltef

Most of the large UK supermarkets are beginning to stock some form of harissa.

Black Mamba

Ill ask mum Tracy, but my guessing it depends on how dry the peppers are

Stupid question... But by "ordinary red peppers" do you mean bell peppers?? Lol.

sianperkins89

i know sainsburys have a tiny jar of harissa, but it costs like 1.50! and it really is a very small jar.

Tunisianbelle

tunisianbelle please could u pm me this one i love it i can never seem to get it that red ummm i do the pounding of the seeds but its the redness i cant seem to master, would really love to get it this red? thanks and i love ur website with all the food yummi i have cooked all of them thanks to you,xxxxx:)
I buy mine at the market.

loveconquersall

Tunisianbelle could you please tell your website for tunisian cooking please