Harissa

There is a "green harissa", but it has a "technical" name. Lol. "Green harissa" is just easier on the English-speaking tongue?? :D LOVE "gree harissa"!! :D

Janan

Banned
There is a "green harissa", but it has a "technical" name. Lol. "Green harissa" is just easier on the English-speaking tongue?? :D LOVE "gree harissa"!! :D

gree harissa, that is nice, :)

Black Mamba

It's called hrouss, and we cook with it but we don't use for spreading like harissa.

Janan

Banned
ok,with this one roung pastry was filled and there were also slices of meat inside, the taste was strong and delicious

Dolly

Making hrssa takes a long time and lots of muscle. We make it like they do in Nabeul - yummmmm...........dried, red filfil. Lots of fresh garlic, some cumin and we use some caraway powder and olive oil plus of course fresh salt. Pound the chili with the ingredients until you have a paste - that's really all there is to it. But it will take a long time to pound to that stage and your arms get really tired. This year we tried snipping the filfil into smallish pieces and it worked well. We store in fridge with olive oil on top to stop it drying out. We also use the whole filflil and we leave all the seeds as we like it hot.

zena "b"

Harissa,

Hi debbie whereabouts can you buy it from i haven't seen any that comes from Tunisia
hi girls, i know you can buy harissa from asda and sainsburys, i have bought frim there, its in tins by the spices, hope this helps.

Making hrssa takes a long time and lots of muscle. We make it like they do in Nabeul - yummmmm...........dried, red filfil. Lots of fresh garlic, some cumin and we use some caraway powder and olive oil plus of course fresh salt. Pound the chili with the ingredients until you have a paste - that's really all there is to it. But it will take a long time to pound to that stage and your arms get really tired. This year we tried snipping the filfil into smallish pieces and it worked well. We store in fridge with olive oil on top to stop it drying out. We also use the whole filflil and we leave all the seeds as we like it hot.
Instead of using a pestle and mortar (which I presume you use?? Sorry if I'm wrong!! :D), could you use a blender/food-processor?? Thanks. :D

Dolly

Instead of using a pestle and mortar (which I presume you use?? Sorry if I'm wrong!! :D), could you use a blender/food-processor?? Thanks. :D
Yes we use mortar and pestle or a big bin but the blender just doesn't work and you don't get the same result

Black Mamba

Yes we use mortar and pestle or a big bin but the blender just doesn't work and you don't get the same result
Yep, with the blender the harissa will be too creamy, while for the harissa arbi it has to be a bit harsh.

Janan

Banned
youp, this was my concern, so the chillies have to be peeled off after baking or short cooking then and the best probably is to use mortar ... and muscles :)

I've yet to find a red filfil... All I can see is green?? I mean, who sells one but not the other??
I can't even find a marble/stone pestle and mortor?? We've got a wooden one (for herbs and such), but I can't find a stone/marble one for the life of me??
I'll have to keep looking, I guess. :(

Dolly

youp, this was my concern, so the chillies have to be peeled off after baking or short cooking then and the best probably is to use mortar ... and muscles :)
The chillies are dried - you do not bake or cook and you leave them whole. They are not peeled. Sorry but it makes the pounding even harder

Dolly

I've yet to find a red filfil... All I can see is green?? I mean, who sells one but not the other??
I can't even find a marble/stone pestle and mortor?? We've got a wooden one (for herbs and such), but I can't find a stone/marble one for the life of me??
I'll have to keep looking, I guess. :(
Can someone send you some? Are they allowed into the UK through the airport? We use a brass pestle and mortar - it's better than marble/stone as it doesn't discolour

Essem

Staff member
I also have a heavy clear glass pestle and mortar which I don't use that I'd be happy to send you.

Thanks so much. :D I only thought that pestle and mortars were either stone/marble or wood. Lol. Didn't know they came in glass and brass, too. Don't know about red filfils being allowed in the country. I would presume "no", unless they're frozen?? I'll have to check the internet, I guess.
Thanks allot. :D

kaloui

Thanks so much. :D I only thought that pestle and mortars were either stone/marble or wood. Lol. Didn't know they came in glass and brass, too. Don't know about red filfils being allowed in the country. I would presume "no", unless they're frozen?? I'll have to check the internet, I guess.
Thanks allot. :D
I also have a brass one... that was a gift from one of my husbands neighbors... I have it on a shelf more as a decoration... Ebay does have a nice selection of Tunisian made items... there are a few things I plan on getting soon from there.

I also have a brass one... that was a gift from one of my husbands neighbors... I have it on a shelf more as a decoration... Ebay does have a nice selection of Tunisian made items... there are a few things I plan on getting soon from there.
Lol. Yes. I have a shopping list the length of my arm, of items I need to bring back. I'll be leaving with one suitcase and one hand-luggage, and coming back with half a dozen. :p
I'm not really into Ebay, but have bought stuff off Amazon before.

Essem

Staff member
Hi 1989

Was in my local Sainsbury's today and they have granite (black/grey) pestle & mortars reduced from £7.99 to £5.99.

Hbrown1

Banned
Harrissa For Someone?

Hi,

Someone asked me to bring back little tins of harrissa for there hubby.

I can't find the mail, so if you read this can you plz pm me your address i have 10 tins for you lol xx xx