Help ... Marriage certificate translation..

Aoife

Hi ... Im heading to Tunisia in 2 weeks to marry my Algerian fiancee :)
I have all the documents required
- Birth certificate
- Passport
- Certificate de Coutume (CONI)

Now i am just wondering if it is possible to get the actual marriage certificate (The paper work provided in the registrars office on day of marriage) translated into english ?
As i dont really want to sign my name to any documentation without being able to read it first !

Is this possible ?
and how do i go about doing it ?

Thanks for the help :)

KB72

If you're that concerned by all means is not a negative thing then I suggest you hire a translator to be present at the wedding who will read all the documents to you. I did not want this and didnt feel I needed it particularly that we were not combining our finances. The idea of being financially responsible for anyone particularly in another country was not floating my boat. I also recommend you email your coni to the consular before you vo so that's ready on your arrival.

Jane BM

There are lots of translators in the cities in Tunisia and I doubt very much it would cost a great deal. In fact there is a thread on here somewhere with a list of certified translators on.

Aoife

If you're that concerned by all means is not a negative thing then I suggest you hire a translator to be present at the wedding who will read all the documents to you. I did not want this and didnt feel I needed it particularly that we were not combining our finances. The idea of being financially responsible for anyone particularly in another country was not floating my boat. I also recommend you email your coni to the consular before you vo so that's ready on your arrival.

Im not to concerned by it , i would just rather be able to read over anything before i sign it if this is possible :)
Yes that is another reason why i want to get it translated because i also dont like the idea of combining our finances,
how did you go about keeping the finances separate ? do they simply just ask you or is it done through paper work aswell ?
I have already sent a copy of all my documents.. i am all ready to go cant wait now, it is just this last thing of being able to get the papers translated before hand . Thanks for your help :)

Aoife

There are lots of translators in the cities in Tunisia and I doubt very much it would cost a great deal. In fact there is a thread on here somewhere with a list of certified translators on.
Oh thanks i'll have a look for the thread now :)
I am sure ill find a translator no problem, i am just wondering how i can get my hands on the paper work from the municipal before the day of the wedding to have them translated in time ! ?

Jane BM

Im not to concerned by it , i would just rather be able to read over anything before i sign it if this is possible :)
Yes that is another reason why i want to get it translated because i also dont like the idea of combining our finances,
how did you go about keeping the finances separate ? do they simply just ask you or is it done through paper work aswell ?
I have already sent a copy of all my documents.. i am all ready to go cant wait now, it is just this last thing of being able to get the papers translated before hand . Thanks for your help :)
They will ask you simply if you wish to keep your assets separate or not and it will then be registered in the paperwork. Ask your fiancé to go to the municipality where you're marrying to find out if he can get it translated beforehand.

gabriel612

Hi Aoife
I too was concerned about not understanding what was said and signing my name to anything. Our marriage was conducted in French, as I can understand a lot of French, I can speak French basic but can read it better, enough to understand most things. The marriage cert was easy to understand in French, in Arabic I would not have had a clue.

We were asked what we wanted and we went for the Separation des Biens, a separation of assets, whats yours before you married stays yours and vice versa.

KB72

They asked. You sign certain parts. They asked before they drew up the papers on the day.

Aoife

They asked. You sign certain parts. They asked before they drew up the papers on the day.
Sorry for the late reply ... Ok brilliant thanks for your help :)

Aoife

Hi Aoife
I too was concerned about not understanding what was said and signing my name to anything. Our marriage was conducted in French, as I can understand a lot of French, I can speak French basic but can read it better, enough to understand most things. The marriage cert was easy to understand in French, in Arabic I would not have had a clue.

We were asked what we wanted and we went for the Separation des Biens, a separation of assets, whats yours before you married stays yours and vice versa.

Sorry for the late reply .... awh see for me my french is as equally bad as my Arabic haha ... sure if worst comes to worse i will just get the hubby to do his best to explain it all to me :)

'Separation des Biens' ? .. i will have to remember that term ...

Thank you for all your help :)

Jane BM

Sorry for the late reply .... awh see for me my french is as equally bad as my Arabic haha ... sure if worst comes to worse i will just get the hubby to do his best to explain it all to me :)

'Separation des Biens' ? .. i will have to remember that term ...

Thank you for all your help :)
Best of luck Aoife, let us know how it goes.

hello
can anyone tell me if i have to get my paperwork for marriage translated into arabic or french? Im getting married in Kasserine.

I mean which one does it have to be translated to? arabic or french?

KB72

Either. French is their second language.

robynnehm

What about papers after the wedding.. kariim has got all the stamps he needs for now... but has been told that he needs to go to the british embassy and get it translated there and stamped.... now I do do my research and no were have I seen this mentioned... if you could let me know that would be brilliant thanks so much!!! You're all amazing x