help me guys..

suemed

Hi suemed, welcome to the forum...are you from the UK? I'm assuming you married in Tunisia..whereabouts are you living?

What kind of advise are you after? Have you sought legal advise yet?... Just need a little more background so people can help hopefully.
thanks for your reply i live in the uk was divorced here in 2004 but he refuses to do divorce in tunisia he lives here with another women

salim

hi salim thanks for your reply i was divorced in uk in 2004 but he refuses to divorce me in tunisia i spoke to a sol in sousse and he told me it would cost around 800 TD is this right or can i do it alone through the court there
800 dt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why it's very expensive !!!!!!! I think this solicitor want take your money and expoliot that your are from the uk !!!!!!!!!!!

Essem

Staff member
Why do you think he's refusing to divorce you in Tunisia? Could it be so that he doesn't have to marry the woman he's with now?

suemed

Why do you think he's refusing to divorce you in Tunisia? Could it be so that he doesn't have to marry the woman he's with now?
yes i think this is true i have been with my partner from tunis for 5 years we would like to get married and this is why i need the divorce

Jane BM

yes i think this is true i have been with my partner from tunis for 5 years we would like to get married and this is why i need the divorce
I'd imagine even under Tunisian law the fact that you've not been together for 9 years is grounds for divorce. Has your current partner looked into it for you as he lives over there? I'm sure you can divorce him over there, you'd just need to contact the municipality where you were married...

suemed

I'd imagine even under Tunisian law the fact that you've not been together for 9 years is grounds for divorce. Has your current partner looked into it for you as he lives over there? I'm sure you can divorce him over there, you'd just need to contact the municipality where you were married...
thanks for that my partner has been trying to get as much info for me as possible and my sisters ex who is tunisian told me to got to the family court in sousse and try to do it myself but need to know what papers i need to take with me

Jane BM

thanks for that my partner has been trying to get as much info for me as possible and my sisters ex who is tunisian told me to got to the family court in sousse and try to do it myself but need to know what papers i need to take with me
Well you'd need your marriage certificate...then I'd take passport, husbands full name and address for starters....

salim

You said before "thanks for your reply i live in the uk was divorced here in 2004 but he refuses to do divorce in tunisia he lives here with another women"then you divorced him in the UK !!!have you any evidence of this act ?
I am asking because if you divorce him in the uk since 2004 you don't need to divorce him in Tunisia you need to do just one step therefore you never must to go to the divorce process !

Jane BM

You said before "thanks for your reply i live in the uk was divorced here in 2004 but he refuses to do divorce in tunisia he lives here with another women"then you divorced him in the UK !!!have you any evidence of this act ?
I am asking because if you divorce him in the uk since 2004 you don't need to divorce him in Tunisia you need to do just one step therefore you never must to go to the divorce process !
It's getting confusing now...lol...so they married in Tunisia and suemed divorced him in the UK in 2004. However if they haven't divorced in Tunisia then she won't be able to marry her Tunisian boyfriend over in Tunisia, cos over there they'd still have her down as being married to her ex!!

salim

It's getting confusing now...lol...so they married in Tunisia and suemed divorced him in the UK in 2004. However if they haven't divorced in Tunisia then she won't be able to marry her Tunisian boyfriend over in Tunisia, cos over there they'd still have her down as being married to her ex!!
I understand why you are a bit confused , when someone got married in Tunisia with Tunisian or any other nationality and they lived out of the country , if they want to divorce they do it in Tunisia or in the place where they lived ! For the second case after getting divorce they must register their divorce in Tunisia , with the help of lawyer who make an application to register this decree in Tunisian Civil status books so in the Tunisian law she is divorced ! Which you understand now why i said she don't need to divorce him in Tunisia after getting her divorce in the uk!

Trulymadlydeeply

Hmmm interesting so the divorce in the Uk just needs to be registered in Tunisia is that what you're saying Salim?

Will you live in Tunisia with your new hubby suemed as lots has changed with the immigration laws for visas since you married your 1st husband.

Jane BM

I understand why you are a bit confused , when someone got married in Tunisia with Tunisian or any other nationality and they lived out of the country , if they want to divorce they do it in Tunisia or in the place where they lived ! For the second case after getting divorce they must register their divorce in Tunisia , with the help of lawyer who make an application to register this decree in Tunisian Civil status books so in the Tunisian law she is divorced ! Which you understand now why i said she don't need to divorce him in Tunisia after getting her divorce in the uk!
That's really interesting Salim because it could affect a lot of people on this forum who've divorced their Tunisian husbands in the UK having married them in Tunisia. So they don't have to go through the process in Tunisia, they just need to have it registered there?

lynn

my friend divorced her tunisian husband here and he kept nagging her to divorce him in tunisia but she said thats ur problem, well he married a tunisian now so he must of been able to sort it out on his own, maybe this one wants the money who knows.

ROULLA

hi salim thanks for your reply i was divorced in uk in 2004 but he refuses to divorce me in tunisia i spoke to a sol in sousse and he told me it would cost around 800 TD is this right or can i do it alone through the court there
Hi Suemed and welcome to the forum! Did you get married here in the UK or Tunisia ?
If you got married here in the UK then unless your husband registered the marriage in the Tunisian Embassy then no one will even know in Tunisia.
If you did get married here in the UK then why not try and get someone to get a duplicate of his birth certificate which will only cost you around 1 to 2 dinars if that and that way you can see if he is still married to you as it will state this on the certificate.

suemed

Hi Suemed and welcome to the forum! Did you get married here in the UK or Tunisia ?
If you got married here in the UK then unless your husband registered the marriage in the Tunisian Embassy then no one will even know in Tunisia.
If you did get married here in the UK then why not try and get someone to get a duplicate of his birth certificate which will only cost you around 1 to 2 dinars if that and that way you can see if he is still married to you as it will state this on the certificate.
hi roulla thanks for that seems like a plan i got married in tunisia and HE divorced me here would give me great pleasure to hand him divorce papers from tunisia as essem said maybe he won't divorce me there so he doesnt have to marry his girlfriend here ;)

suemed

Hmmm interesting so the divorce in the Uk just needs to be registered in Tunisia is that what you're saying Salim?

Will you live in Tunisia with your new hubby suemed as lots has changed with the immigration laws for visas since you married your 1st husband.
hi Trulymadlydeeply thanks for you reply we have tried to get a fiance visa but they think he wont go back but we intend to live in tunisia at some stage

Jane BM

hi roulla thanks for that seems like a plan i got married in tunisia and HE divorced me here would give me great pleasure to hand him divorce papers from tunisia as essem said maybe he won't divorce me there so he doesnt have to marry his girlfriend here ;)
If what Salim is saying is how it is though, it only needs to be registered in Tunisia, not the whole divorce procedure...in which case you could do that when you go over....at the end of the day does it matter If he gets to marry his girlfriend or not...I'd leave him to sort his own mess and you just concentrate on getting your divorce recognised in Tunisis so you can marry there again if that's what you want.

Trulymadlydeeply

Sorry but once bitten twice shy :(

I know he divorced you suemed but don't think immigration will look too kindly on it being a second application.. Do you meet the requirements if you were both to try for a settlement visa? As I said lots has changed over the years. I would just get it registered when you go out there. Good luck.

J

jane makhloufi

sorry to bother you myself and my sister married in tunisia in october 2 days apart they are nice men just my sisters husband has passed his english test and mine no but he is learning english over tunisia what does my sister need to get a settlement visa for her husband and can someone tell me do you have to pay for visa before you go for appointment or does he have to pay if he gets accepted for his settlement visa sorry but if you dont understand what i mean just let me know

Jane BM

sorry to bother you myself and my sister married in tunisia in october 2 days apart they are nice men just my sisters husband has passed his english test and mine no but he is learning english over tunisia what does my sister need to get a settlement visa for her husband and can someone tell me do you have to pay for visa before you go for appointment or does he have to pay if he gets accepted for his settlement visa sorry but if you dont understand what i mean just let me know
There are plenty of threads on here Jane re settlement visa requirements, also tell your sister to check out the UKBA website which lists all the criteria....then if she's any more questions she can always ask on here...

For example, does your sister earn over £18,600? If so then they are eligible to apply as long as they fulfil the rest of the criteria, however if she doesn't earn that much then they cannot apply. Also the fee has to be paid when he submits his supporting documents regardless of whether its a successful application.