hemp seeds

Milk

I'm so Excited, I am planning a trip, sooner then expected, to Tunisia. I eat a natural food product "Hemp Seeds". No, it is not Marijuana, for those who think differently. Are these allowed in Tunisia? I don't want them to be taking at customs. The food is quiet expensive.

Also, 70,00 Euro, the way it is typed, Is that only about $9/Canadian? I think it was a mistake in typing when sent to me by a Taxi driver. Written as is, it looks like $70/Canadian. When in Tunisia or Europe, is common practice to put a comma instead of a period before the zeros?

annh

We do in Belgium no comma's in the "round" amounts, so we would mostly not write 70,00 euro. If the amount is not "round" we write a comma, so 70,50 euro is 70 euro and 50 eurocents.

In Tunisia they have the habit to write the zero's, so in shoeshops (or similar places) you will see sometimes: 9000, which means 9thousend millimes or 9 dinar. When they speak to you they also will say that the price is 9thousend.

ps - leave them seeds at home, you really don't want to explain to a tunesian douane that it is not "weed" but an organic food supplement.....:)

C

Cas

Thoroughly agree about hemp seeds, don`t know what detection methods are being used in airports, don`t know how sensitive they would be, too risky to be worth it. Many seeds are available that provide same nutritional benefits in Tunisia anyway including nigella seeds, pumpkin, sunflower etc, many that provide essential fatty acids. You`ll have a ball in the medina at the food stalls.

Milk

How about powder. Such as Hemp Protein and I take a suppliments that comes in a powder as well? My vitamins? I agree as well, no hemp seeds but I do need to take some thing to keep my energy and health up.

Milk

Chocolate Energy bars? Would those be good?

C

Cas

What I would say is head straight for Uncles juice bar on the street after the one the police station is on in Sousse, Have at least 3 freshly made juices, Carrot, for Vit A, strawberry for C, date with banana and egg for minerals, fibre, potassium , zinc and more A include a slice of freshly baked square for honey and wholegrains......it`s a start anyway. We are totally hooked ! you will find lots of seeds nuts readily available. It is our destination after winter here in UK to have a healthy diet in readiness for spring, so much fresh food and many grains, fruit and veg etc also very fresh poultry and meats.

newtosousse

Chocolate Energy bars? Would those be good?
You could take raw fruit bars in with you, but as Cas says there is lots of fruit and nuts out there. I would not risk taking Hemp into Tunisia. Communication can get tricky there at the best of times.

Milk

I am going to leave the Hemp. The bars don't have hemp in them, they look and taste like chocolate. Just packed with lots of good stuff-I wonder if they'll question? My Vitamin Pills, I've been taking for a long time. I was wondering about the vitamins, especially since I won't be close to Sousse. Only Tunis. I will take a trip to Sousse but not staying.

newtosousse

I don't think you will have any problem with chocolate bars. I have never had my luggage checked on entering Tunisia, probably will now, they say never say never. I have always carried my Vits with me, but noone has checked, but I guess if they are clearly marked you should not have a problem.

ROULLA

I'm so Excited, I am planning a trip, sooner then expected, to Tunisia. I eat a natural food product "Hemp Seeds". No, it is not Marijuana, for those who think differently. Are these allowed in Tunisia? I don't want them to be taking at customs. The food is quiet expensive.
Hi Raindrops and welcome to the forum,hope that you enjoy it like we all do. Ok about the Hemp seeds, if it was me then I would place them in my suitcase unopened just incase they want to see the packet whilst going through the xray but I really do not see it being a problem. As for the vitamins we always bring bottles with us as my husband will not leave the UK without them plus we always take a fresh batch of medication for our first aid kit and so far never been stopped. Just incase anyone does not know what these are here it is ... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hemp+seeds&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GZAG_enGB449&redir_esc=&ei=ezAKT5eMEcWy8gOqsZnAAQ

C

Cas

Hi Raindrops and welcome to the forum,hope that you enjoy it like we all do. Ok about the Hemp seeds, if it was me then I would place them in my suitcase unopened just incase they want to see the packet whilst going through the xray but I really do not see it being a problem. As for the vitamins we always bring bottles with us as my husband will not leave the UK without them plus we always take a fresh batch of medication for our first aid kit and so far never been stopped. Just incase anyone does not know what these are here it is ... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hemp seeds&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GZAG_enGB449&redir_esc=&ei=ezAKT5eMEcWy8gOqsZnAAQ
Wouldn`t matter whether the packet of hemp seeds was open or closed if there was any trace it would be picked up. I think now at Enfida they have the capacity I know they do at British airports. No it is not Cannabis but genetically very close. For anyone new to Tunisia unless you need specific meds on hand everything for first aid or spur of the moment use is readily available and reasonable.

Jane BM

I do know of someone who took over for her husband some protein shakes (there was nothing dodgy about them!), in sealed packets and put in her suitcase. It was picked up on the scanner at Tunis airport, this was just a couple of months ago and it was confiscated. However, they did go back to the airport the following day and had them returned to them after kicking up a fuss.

Trulymadlydeeply

I would not risk taking the Hemp seeds, if only because of the lack of being able to communicate with the customs as they generally do not speak English! What we would clarify as being legal may not be the same over there.. :)

huttan

Doesnt matter..was on tv just hile ago from the custom - NO SEEDS WHATEVER...is allowed to bring in when traveling...because they said seeds from outside is concidered a threat to the nature and invirement.Dont get how they are thinking when anyone can get seeds in the store?I mean you go to the store and buy it anyway...

caveatemptor

Doesnt matter..was on tv just hile ago from the custom - NO SEEDS WHATEVER...is allowed to bring in when traveling...because they said seeds from outside is concidered a threat to the nature and invirement

Are you talking about Tunisia or Australia?

huttan

They showed custom from UK...in the program it showed outgoing for India and Australia, but they said that goes for all travelers no matter what country you are going to for protection for each countrys natural flora of invirement. I have never heard that before and found it really strange...can they have mixed something up?I mean Australia with its different and rare nature is one thing...but all others?

lynn

Australia are very fussy, they stop you for anything and it's even harder to immigrate there than anywhere, they try and pass all immigrants onto New Zealand.

gem15

You cant even take chocolate into OZ, cuz of the cocoa BEANS! Crazy country but those are the rules!

C

Cas

Or citrus fruit into California, have to go through state border customs, they search vehicles.

Aslemma

I do know of someone who took over for her husband some protein shakes (there was nothing dodgy about them!), in sealed packets and put in her suitcase. It was picked up on the scanner at Tunis airport, this was just a couple of months ago and it was confiscated.

I took over 4kg of Complan in November, split betwen my hold and hand luggage, for a friend who was very unwell. and I had no problems at all at Enfidha. I had translated the English on the instructions into Arabic (thanks Google Translate) and laminated it just in case my friend wanted to show it to his doctor and could have produced this at the airport of queried, but it wasn't necessary.