How do I cancel my Tunisian nationality.

ali79

Hello

We have recently gotten uk nationality and I would now like to cancel the Tunisian one.

Has anyone done this and is so what is the procedure.

Thanks

Ali

rabah

Tunisia recognizes dual nationality with UK, therefore there is no procedure in place that I know of via which you can renounce your Tunisian nationality. If the UK does not recognize dual citizenship with a particular country then you are just a British citizen in the eyes of the British law. Note that when you visit Tunisia with a British passport, if they recognize you're Tunisian born, you will be asked for your Tunisian passport at the airport.

ali79

Well we have uk nationality and will be getting american nationality as well as we are moving there, so do not want tunisian nationality. I think the limit of nationalities is 2. So will keep uk and us.

We do not have tunisian passports now and have no intention of renewing them. Just want to renounce the nationality.

Has anybody on here managed to renounce their tunisian nationality. And how did you do it. For most countries it is a simple process.

rabah

Well we have uk nationality and will be getting american nationality as well as we are moving there, so do not want tunisian nationality. I think the limit of nationalities is 2. So will keep uk and us.

We do not have tunisian passports now and have no intention of renewing them. Just want to renounce the nationality.

Has anybody on here managed to renounce their tunisian nationality. And how did you do it. For most countries it is a simple process.
There is something in the link below that may help
http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_TUNISIA.html

Jane BM

Have you contacted the Tunisian Embassy here in the UK?

ali79

Yes I did but they were no help. Couldn't tell me the process.
Just told me to go to the embassy and ask in person.

ali79

Probably want to take a photo, give a lecture about patriotism and put me on a hit list.

Jane BM

Probably want to take a photo, give a lecture about patriotism and put me on a hit list.
Lolololololol ......I did want to say something similar but didn't want to offend!!

Burton

Don't think you can really renounce a citizenship, it's very complicated, and in my opinion quite unnecessary, just ignore the citizenship you don't wish to be a part of.

Trulymadlydeeply

Rabah when you have children with mixed nationality ie British / Tunisian, Tunisia does NOT recognise this, the child is Tunisian no ifs no buts!!!! :(

rabah

Hello TMD, yes I am aware of that. By saying earlier "Tunisian recognizes dual citizenship..." I meant they don't mind that a Tunisian has a passport from another country as long as he/she has a Tunisian passport as well when they land in Tunisia.

daffodil

Why would ANYONE want to renounce their Nationality..I just dont get it at all..am i missing something?

missmetal

Several Americans I have met have renounced their US nationality, mainly for tax issues. I would not care about my South African one now that I have another 2. You don't need them when you have more beneficial passports and you set up life elsewhere.

I believe that if your half Tunisian kids have not lived in Tunisia for at least 4 or 5 yrs then they are not automatic citizens. I saw that on another forum from someone who knew Tunisian law. They are not by default Tunisian. They have to live there for a period of time first.

Perhaps the border cops just like to scare people. Not sure.

If I travel back to South Africa and use my other passports, I automatically lose my citizenship. I believe that to be the case in most countries.

Trulymadlydeeply

Same old same old then eh, left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing :rolleyes:

ROULLA

Hi Ali hope that you are well!
Surely if you leave the UK for a specific amount of time then you will no longer have the right to British nationality unless you was born and breed in the UK and even then I am not sure what happens.
The law in the USA is much more firmer, do not think that by going to the USA that you will automatically get American nationality.
No matter what passports you have, it does not mean that you can use that in Tunisia, once they see your name if you go to Tunisia they will also ask you for your Tunisian passport, after all you are Tunisian no matter what.

missmetal

Hi Ali hope that you are well!
Surely if you leave the UK for a specific amount of time then you will no longer have the right to British nationality unless you was born and breed in the UK and even then I am not sure what happens.
The law in the USA is much more firmer, do not think that by going to the USA that you will automatically get American nationality.
No matter what passports you have, it does not mean that you can use that in Tunisia, once they see your name if you go to Tunisia they will also ask you for your Tunisian passport, after all you are Tunisian no matter what.
Hi Roulla, I don't believe I will lose my British citizenship now that I am not living there. I may want to return one day...who knows. Luckily I can still keep it. If I loose it then there will be a bit process to try get it back but I imagine that it's more difficult for those who were not born there..

Burton

If you have British Citizenship you will never lose it, unless you were a foreign national given ILR and then committed a crime and were subsequently subject to deportation.

Burton

For the US slightly different:
Although the U.S. government does not endorse dual citizenship as a matter of policy, it recognizes the existence of dual citizenship and completely tolerates the maintenance of multiple citizenship by U.S. citizens. In the past, claims of other countries on dual-national U.S. citizens sometimes placed them in situations where their obligations to one country were in conflict with the laws of the other. The 2012 case of American-Thai dual national Joe Gordon is a case in point, who entered Thailand using a U.S. passport but was convicted and imprisoned in May 2011 for Lèse majesté in Thailand.[25] However, as fewer countries require military service and most base other obligations, such as the payment of taxes, on residence and not citizenship, these conflicts have become less frequent.[26] As a result, there has been a dramatic increase in recent years in the number of people who maintain U.S. citizenship in other countries.[citation needed]
The U.S. citizen may lose his dual citizenship by obtaining naturalization in a foreign state, taking an oath or making an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or political subdivision thereof, or serving in the armed forces of a foreign state if this action was performed with the intention of renouncing U.S. citizenship.[27]

Burton

So simply said if you are a US Citizen but decide to become a naturalized citizen of another country then your US citizenship is lost.

Tee

More people asking...
What if someone comes to uk illegals from Tunisia did he aloud to give his nationality and become British ?