How might a Tunisian schoolteacher go about finding a job in Britain?

mar123

She hasn't visited Britain or anywhere else in the EU before.
She has taught English in Gabes for 10 years, at both primary and secondary level.
She has a master's in English Language and Literature, from Gabes University.
She has also taken an entry-level training course in journalism run by the Institute of War and Peace Reporting.

I am asking on her behalf. She is a friend of my mother's. Neither of us will be inviting her here on a tourist visa, because my mum doesn't want to take on that commitment. She would like to work here as a teacher. but will be willing to do pre-school work until she finds a job in a school. How might she get herself a job here, from where she is now? Is this very difficult?

She will be able to teach in a state school in Britain for 4 years before getting Qualified Teacher Status, but can someone advise on where she should actually look for job adverts placed by schools that might take someone from Tunisia and be willing to do the extra paperwork that would be required compared to if they hired someone from the EEA or US etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Mary

Kris

Administrator
Staff member

jormana

Its worth looking at the Gov.uk website. Once you are on it theres loads of information given for people wishing to enter and live in UK.

missmetal

Its very likely they will make her do some exam to test her skills or to qualify her for teaching over there.

ROULLA

She hasn't visited Britain or anywhere else in the EU before.
She has taught English in Gabes for 10 years, at both primary and secondary level.
She has a master's in English Language and Literature, from Gabes University.
She has also taken an entry-level training course in journalism run by the Institute of War and Peace Reporting.

I am asking on her behalf. She is a friend of my mother's. Neither of us will be inviting her here on a tourist visa, because my mum doesn't want to take on that commitment. She would like to work here as a teacher. but will be willing to do pre-school work until she finds a job in a school. How might she get herself a job here, from where she is now? Is this very difficult?

She will be able to teach in a state school in Britain for 4 years before getting Qualified Teacher Status, but can someone advise on where she should actually look for job adverts placed by schools that might take someone from Tunisia and be willing to do the extra paperwork that would be required compared to if they hired someone from the EEA or US etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Mary
Hi Mary and welcome to the forum!
Your friend will have to have her degree translated in English. If they accept this then she will need to do 2 tests, English and Maths. These cost £32 a go and you can try 3 times. If you fail then you are automatically locked out for 2 years . If you pass then you then go to University and they will allocate you to two schools, from September to July. This is called a PGCE. You have to observe teaching assistants and Teachers in order to write your SA'S on and also produce your own resources. It sounds a lot but it's not and it goes quick.
Good luck to your friend