How to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate from the UK

A

Ann

Hi All,

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I have been separated from my Tunisian husband for 5 years now and want a divorce. I have no marriage certificate and want to know how I would go obtaining this from Tunisia?

Kind Regards,

Ann

Jane BM

Hi All,

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I have been separated from my Tunisian husband for 5 years now and want a divorce. I have no marriage certificate and want to know how I would go obtaining this from Tunisia?

Kind Regards,

Ann
Who has your marriage certificate? Your husband? Are you in contact with him? If not, I'd imagine you'd need to contact the municipality where you married to obtain a copy.

becky

Hi Ann

I am in exactly the same situation. I am hitting dead ends every where i turn. I have tried finding the contact info for the town hall where we were married, contacted the British Embassy in Tunis who were no help whatsoever, they gave me a list of English speaking solicitors. All I want is a copy of the certificate to be able to sort out some financial issues with the bank and to proceed with divorcing him. The last I heard he had divorced me in Monastir and wouldn't give me any further information until i gave him money. I have no means of contacting him and the last I heard he was living in Germany somewhere.

Please could anyone give me the contact details for the town hall so i could ask them how to proceed for a copy of the certificate??

Many thanks in advance

Becky

Jane BM

Hi Ann

I am in exactly the same situation. I am hitting dead ends every where i turn. I have tried finding the contact info for the town hall where we were married, contacted the British Embassy in Tunis who were no help whatsoever, they gave me a list of English speaking solicitors. All I want is a copy of the certificate to be able to sort out some financial issues with the bank and to proceed with divorcing him. The last I heard he had divorced me in Monastir and wouldn't give me any further information until i gave him money. I have no means of contacting him and the last I heard he was living in Germany somewhere.

Please could anyone give me the contact details for the town hall so i could ask them how to proceed for a copy of the certificate??

Many thanks in advance

Becky
If he's saying he's already divorced you, then you don't need to divorce him here.....you can contact the belidaya in Tunisia and obtain a copy of his birth certificate, this will show whether he's still married to you or divorced.

Failing that then you would need to contact one of the solicitors recommended by the Embassy to pursue it for you over in Tunisia.

rabah

Recently, the Tunisian government setup a website to allow people to obtain certificates of civil status over the internet. If you have the correct info, you may obtain a birth certificate of your ex to find out about his/her civil status in English, French or Arabic. If it states divorced, it will say from whom and when which should be proof enough for the UK authorities I would say.

I have not tried it myself but did hear the Tunisian Telecommunications Minister praise the effort so best of luck.

https://www.etatcivil.gov.tn/Madania/web/indexen

rabah

Correction, they only offer certificates in French and Arabic I am told.

I managed to get a copy of mine from the .gov website as after we married i sent it through the british embassy so that way its registered here too.