I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)/K-1 Visa

Hi everyone,

A and I have decided that we will marry in the USA(only one ceremony) and live here. We are in the process of talking to a lawyer but based on our research it appears that we will be filing I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)/K-1 Visa. My question is has anyone on here done this and were they able to successfully get the visa? How long did it take once you had filed all the paperwork and was the visa granted the same day as the interview?

After we marry, he will apply for an adjustment of his status(Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status). For this I know he needs to apply for this before the visa does expire(we plan on marrying within 2 weeks of him coming here), but how long after he applies for this, is the greencard granted?

Thanks,
Kimberly

olliebaby

Hi Kimberly

We did the Fiance visa but in the UK so not sure of rules are the same, Im sure MellieC knows more.

We applied in October 2010 and got the visa 3 weeks later, we married in March and applied for the Settlement strait away. That took 2/3 weeks to get a reply. One good thing is, as long as you apply for the Settlement BEFORE his Fiance Visa expires, he can stay until the decision is given, even if they took a year to decide he is entitle to stay until then, as you applied within the right time frame.

As I say though, im sure MellieC knows more about the USA though and if it differs much from here in the UK.

Good luck :)

DebbieZebbes

Hi everyone,

A and I have decided that we will marry in the USA(only one ceremony) and live here. We are in the process of talking to a lawyer but based on our research it appears that we will be filing I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)/K-1 Visa. My question is has anyone on here done this and were they able to successfully get the visa? How long did it take once you had filed all the paperwork and was the visa granted the same day as the interview?

After we marry, he will apply for an adjustment of his status(Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status). For this I know he needs to apply for this before the visa does expire(we plan on marrying within 2 weeks of him coming here), but how long after he applies for this, is the greencard granted?

Thanks,
Kimberly
HI Kimberlty. Jenn1125 recently took her hubby to live in Los Angeles, she might have some advice for you.

Thanks I will reach out to her.

MellieC

hi Kim,

if you email me (go to my profile there is an email addy) I can give you some info, but moreso i can point you in the right direction of people who have done this and how they did it.

good luck with it

MellieC

A Quick look says, its been taking 4 to 6 months from petition to visa. (K1)

if thats any help, not sure it is as I can't work out if the I-129F is part of that process or seperate, it doesn't apear to be seperate?

but certainly there are people who have gone this route and can point you in the right direction!

Hi Mel I looked at your profile, but I did not see any email address.

Mezoo

VIP Member
the only thing i can say for sure, you need to know him. if it appears this is happening only from online communications they will enhance scrutiny. they will do this for your protection. if it's real and the interview with him bears out that you 2 really know each other and understand what you are undertaking you will have no problem. i do recommend you use the "whole" 3 months after his entry to really be sure what you want. don't get married right away,,,,no matter what he says or you thing, you will b glad you did years later. this will avoid "buyers remorse" for you. again this has only been my experience. good luck! :cool:

Mezoo

VIP Member
one question they asked nour, "what color is his toothbrush?" get it?

one question they asked nour, "what color is his toothbrush?" get it?
Yeah I get it. If you don't know even personal details like this, it could show that you are not really living with the person. Little things like this might not seem important, but they are. Another one could be what color underwear is she wearing today LOL.

Mezoo

VIP Member
Yeah I get it. If you don't know even personal details like this, it could show that you are not really living with the person. Little things like this might not seem important, but they are. Another one could be what color underwear is she wearing today LOL.
rotfl.....:eek:

Hi everybody.

I did file the petition for the fiance visa and it has been two months today since I mailed it. Woo Hoo!!! In some ways the two months have gone by fast and other times it seems like it is going so slow. I know the process is a long one, but to be married to my love, it is worht all the wait. We are anticpating hearing back that the petition was approved sometime in December and then A can file for the fiance visa itself. To help us pass the time, we do have our video calls and are planning our wedding! I just can't to be his wife.

Kimberly

Hi everybody,

A went for his interview March 22 and was approved for his visa!!!! He goes back to pick up his passport with the visa in it tomorrow. Plan is for him to fly to New York in April and then we will finalize our wedding plans. We are so happy and excited. I don't think I have stopped smiling since he called me last week after he left the embassy.

Kimberly

Jasmine

Congratulations to you both Kimberly....And congratulations on your up coming wedding. :)

soleil

Hi everybody,

A went for his interview March 22 and was approved for his visa!!!! He goes back to pick up his passport with the visa in it tomorrow. Plan is for him to fly to New York in April and then we will finalize our wedding plans. We are so happy and excited. I don't think I have stopped smiling since he called me last week after he left the embassy.

Kimberly
Congratulations! :) Wishing you and your future hubby all the best.xxxx

Essem

Staff member
Congratulations and best wishes Kimberly.

lainie

congrats to you both!!!

Jamie

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Kimberly

Hi Kimberly,

My name is Jamie and I am in the same situation that you are. I was wondering how the process is going for you? My fiance and I are just in the beginning stages of this. I am going to Tunisia at the end of next month to meet his family. We plan to file for the f1 visa as soon as I return. I would appreciate any advise you might have one the situation. We would like this to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks :)

Jamie

My name is Jamie and I am in the same situation that you are. I was wondering how the process is going for you? My fiance and I are just in the beginning stages of this. I am going to Tunisia at the end of next month to meet his family. We plan to file for the f1 visa as soon as I return. I would appreciate any advise you might have one the situation. We would like this to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks :)

Jamie[/quote]

Hi Jamie I sent you a messsgae. You can contact me anytime.