In the fine print when booking hotel online

Jenny

Me and my husband booked a two weeks holiday to Egypt yesterday :) In Egypt they are very strict with that you need to show your marriage certificate when checking in (according to my husband, and he should know since he in the past has worked at the front desk). But when reading the fine prints, I noticed that also Tunisia is mentioned. Below is from hotels4u.com booking conditions. It looks like they have added Tunisia, since the last sentence only is mentioning "non Egyptian passport holders".

So does this means that the hotels in Tunisia are becoming more stricter?

"Please note Egyptain and Tunisian passport holders must be legally married in order to share a double room in a hotel in Egypt or Tunisia respectively. It is illegal to book a room for a foreign national and an Egyptain or Tunisian unless they are married. Please check with the relevant Consulate for more information. Therefore, the hotels will not accept such reservations on check-in. If there is availability, 2 single rooms will be provided at additional cost to the clients. This law does not apply to holders of non-Egyptain passports."

crazypink

Me and my husband booked a two weeks holiday to Egypt yesterday :) In Egypt they are very strict with that you need to show your marriage certificate when checking in (according to my husband, and he should know since he in the past has worked at the front desk). But when reading the fine prints, I noticed that also Tunisia is mentioned. Below is from hotels4u.com booking conditions. It looks like they have added Tunisia, since the last sentence only is mentioning "non Egyptian passport holders".

So does this means that the hotels in Tunisia are becoming more stricter?

"Please note Egyptain and Tunisian passport holders must be legally married in order to share a double room in a hotel in Egypt or Tunisia respectively. It is illegal to book a room for a foreign national and an Egyptain or Tunisian unless they are married. Please check with the relevant Consulate for more information. Therefore, the hotels will not accept such reservations on check-in. If there is availability, 2 single rooms will be provided at additional cost to the clients. This law does not apply to holders of non-Egyptain passports."
I think its always been this way - only sometimes they turn a blind eye to what is going on! Maybe things are now changing and they are going to get tougher! The words it is "illegal to book a room for a foreign national and an Egyptian or Tunisian unless they are married" should make people think twice. But then arnt we all "foreign nationals" when in tunisia?? So does this also mean that EVERYONE will have to prove they are married?? Mmmmmmm...........

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

NetNiet

Yes I did mentioned it before, it's the law and more hotels where it was sometimes possible before they will not allow it now. It's against the law and they can get big problems if they allow it.

Crazypink, I'm not sure if i undertand it correctly what you're asking, but if you're married to a Tunisian or Egyptian man or woman, you have to show your marriage certificate, doesn't matter if you are from Europe, Tunisia or Egypt. So also a Tunisian woman and man has to show it.

Jenny

I think its always been this way - only sometimes they turn a blind eye to what is going on! Maybe things are now changing and they are going to get tougher! The words it is "illegal to book a room for a foreign national and an Egyptian or Tunisian unless they are married" should make people think twice. But then arnt we all "foreign nationals" when in tunisia?? So does this also mean that EVERYONE will have to prove they are married?? Mmmmmmm...........

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
They have written that this law does not apply to non Egyptian passports holders. So when both spouses is european the law doesn't apply. But it should have said "non Egyptian or Tunisian passports holders". That is why it looks to me that they have added Tunisia to this text where they before only had Egypt. So even if it by law always been illeagal in Tunisia too but that more hotels now are following the law.

Jenny

Me and my husband are now facing the problem with that the hotel will not approve our swedish marriage certificate since it's in swedish and also and has no egyptian stamp on it. And it's no way that we will manage to get it translated and have all neccessairy stamps on it in two weeks time before the holiday. Specially since he has the original in Dubai due to the settlement visa application. :( I've ordered a family certificate (sort of a birth certificate but it says who I'm married to at it) from our tax office in english and asked them to stamp and sign it. So hope they will approve it even if it has no egyptian stamp on it....if not we will be ending up with having to pay for two rooms :(

MellieC

jenny, can you get the marriage certificate translated into egyptian Arabic? your hubby is egyptian? whatever HIS natioanlity ~ maybe get the marraige certificate translated in that? or contact the hotel, ask them what language they WILL accept?
maybe into english or into French?

hope yuo get to have a good hol x

it does appear that tunisia has been "added", where it says non-egyptian passort holders, I am guessing it means egyptians who ALSO hold another passport, from becoming a citizen of another country, or by virtue of birth holding another passport as a dual national, but they (DN's) would be "egyptian" in egypt ~ not sure how that works when they hold another passport if they are living overseas and have become a citizen!!

Jenny

Hi Mel,
just talked to M, and he had handed in the marriage cert to the swedish embassy in UAE for authorisation. He will explain more to me later tonight. Maybe they can also can translate it, since I know they have staff as are arabic speaking. I know the swedish emb. in Tunis translates documents into French. Well I'll just will have to cross my fingers it will work out somehow...

How is the weather in France now? Here it's cloudy and will be so all week.

ROULLA

Hi Everyone hope that you are all in good health! I was also looking into going to Egypt for a short holiday but to be quite honest i have not seen anything that says that you have to show the hotel proof of marriage,,I looked at the FCO in Egypt and the only thing that i did notice under General advice that Scottish and Northern Irish bank notes are not exchangeable in Egypt. Surely this information about the marriage certificate should be written somewhere on the Egyptian Tourist board, just wondering if someone was to go to Egypt without knowing this what would happen,,Just wondering out of curiosity would they turn them away, surely not..

MellieC

hi Jen,
weather her is high20's to low 30's but due to rain in next couple of days, so i got all the washing done lol ironing is well thats a task liked only second to smashing my head up the wall lol

thewind is geting up a bit actually right at this moment so i would say the rain is coming!

fred likes the rain hates the sun?

hes is one weird tune!!!

i think M will have the holdiay issue sorted ~

C

Cas

We also see eye to eye on ironing lol we had a few days 25c now humid and grey rain hanging around.

MellieC

i'm wating for the rain and it to be really cool before i put a hot iron on!

my excuse and im sticking to it LOL

Desi

Good Morning and Merry Christmas!
Just to let you know....:(
My Tunisian fiance and I booked Sentido Phenicia Hotel in Hammamet for a short break in January. I knew that it is an issue in some of the hotels in Tunisia an unmarried couple to check in a double room, but I did not realize to check prior booking.We have already stayed in 4 other hotel in Hammamet (El Mouradi, Yasmine Beach, Iberostar Belisair and Riu Marco Polo) and have never had this issue...
Reading the forum made me think about it and this morning I did ask my fiance to call them and double check and... surprise... we are not allowed in the hotel unless we have booked two rooms. Being a bank holiday today I can not get in touch with the travel agency we booked, but I think the only option we have now is to book an additional single room under his name. To cancel the whole booking would mean to lose the whole amount. I am just wondering though, as I have already paid double room All Inclusive for 2 people, would it be OK him to use it regardless that he would be (officially) booked in the single room on the room only basis?

lainie

i think as long as there are 2 rooms booked you should be ok.
enjoy your break
xxx

Marie1959

When I stayed at the Elmouradi hotel in April they would not let us check in until they had seen the marriage certificate but as stated in other posts then let every Tunisian Animator that worked there almost have S-- in the lobby and just said it was what the guests ( THE EUROPEAN WOMEN) wanted. Double standards springs to mind, this was in Pek tho not Hammamet.

Jane BM

When I stayed at the Elmouradi hotel in April they would not let us check in until they had seen the marriage certificate but as stated in other posts then let every Tunisian Animator that worked there almost have S-- in the lobby and just said it was what the guests ( THE EUROPEAN WOMEN) wanted. Double standards springs to mind, this was in Pek tho not Hammamet.
We stayed at the El Mouradi in PEK in May before i was married to my husband, didnt have a problem booking a double room then!! so sounds like its hit and miss, going again there tomorrow so will pack wedding cert just in case....have never had a problem at any hotel though in Tunisia before we got married..

Marie1959

Well I have had probs with a few over they years and yes some have changed their rules during that time too. I think maybe now they will be more likely to want to see it and its not as tho there should be a problem is there? I was disgusted with the Elmouradi to be honest what was allowed to go on with their staff and some disgusting European women in front of other guests I would never have believed if not seen with my own eyes but got nowhere complaining just told they couldnt tell the women as they were guests. I was lucky we were only there for the 1 night as were travelling home the next day. Hotel was beautiful in itself just the behaviour and what was allowed spoilt it.
Have a wonderful holiday, Happy New Year and wishing you a safe journey xx
Marie

Jane BM

Well I have had probs with a few over they years and yes some have changed their rules during that time too. I think maybe now they will be more likely to want to see it and its not as tho there should be a problem is there? I was disgusted with the Elmouradi to be honest what was allowed to go on with their staff and some disgusting European women in front of other guests I would never have believed if not seen with my own eyes but got nowhere complaining just told they couldnt tell the women as they were guests. I was lucky we were only there for the 1 night as were travelling home the next day. Hotel was beautiful in itself just the behaviour and what was allowed spoilt it.
Have a wonderful holiday, Happy New Year and wishing you a safe journey xx
Marie
Gosh, fortunately never had any of that when we were there in May else id have probably been like you. Yeah lovely hotel thats why were going back.

Happy New Year to you as well.

xxx

Desi

Looks like I will have to change the hotel...
Has anyone stayed at Iberostar Solaria or Dar Khayam with tune fiance/ boyfriend? Do you know if they allow?

Scoobydoo

Looks like I will have to change the hotel...
Has anyone stayed at Iberostar Solaria or Dar Khayam with tune fiance/ boyfriend? Do you know if they allow?
I have stayed with my husband at the iberostar averroes.....i know we were actually married...but they didnt know this (they didnt ask for any proof). Stayed in hotel near to phencia loads of time before we were married, hammamet regency, it was next to hammamet garden....
I doubt you would have any trouble staying with him in the Bel Air....although i wouldnt stay there even if you paid me!!
have also stayed in Saphir (before we were married) - it was opposite Oasis night club....although i think it has been taken over by iberostar now?? - Or it may be the one in yasmine, im not sure....

daffodil

Is the Bel Air a bad hotel?

A friend of mine was looking to book for next yr, she asked me about it, but i couldn't help her as never been there or seen it even.

I will pass on info to her if you have any..