International Flights for Tunisians: What to remember

missmetal

Howdy,

I thought I would post this saga somewhere just in case this info is useful for any other folks.

Today hubby left for his flight back to Tunisia, but in the spirit of 'Tunisian bad luck', it started off really badly!

I will summarize the key points first and then tell my story in case you get bored :)
1. When travelling from N.America, be very very clear in telling the family that you arrive a day later. In fact, dont tell them the day you leave just tell them the day you arrive. That might prevent trips to the airport a day early.
2. When booking flights on separate tickets, and one of them is a code share, check with the carrier operating the flight, if luggage is transferable on all legs of the journey to the end destination.

Ok, point 1 is really the fault of hubby's dad, the light was not on when that piece of info was fed. I heard him say sooo many times he arrives on the 16th :) Point 2, well I guess we take it for granted with our world passports because we dont have such struggles if suddenly things change.

Hubby was using his return flight, a year to the date he has returned home. When he left Tunisia, he flew Air Tunis to Frankfurt, Lufthansa Frankfurt to Vancouver. Frankfurt airport is one of the few 'transit without visa' airports if the traveller has a visa for another country. When we left Tunisia our luggage was checked in all the way through.

This morning at the airport, Air Canada was the code share partner for Lufthansa, and they apparently dont have a baggage agreement with Tunis Air, so they could not check the luggage in all the way through. He would have to go through security and check it in again. Well that could not happen as he's got no visa. Hence he was 'unchecked -in' and we had to figure another plan out.

Our only option was to book a flight from FRA on Lufthansa so that his bags could be checked in all the way through. $800 later!

I had no reason to doubt this would be a problem based on my experience last year, but even when the schedule changed last year and they Lufthansa called me about the change, i asked them again about the baggage...no problem then. This morning when I called Lufthansa to sort it out, they told me again that Air Canada does have an agreement with Lufthansa....sigh! No they dont!

I have of course written and complained to Lufthansa that this is unacceptable because I made flight choices based on experience wit them and the info they gave me.

So just a little advice for those who have loved ones travelling in transit.

Jane BM

Howdy,

I thought I would post this saga somewhere just in case this info is useful for any other folks.

Today hubby left for his flight back to Tunisia, but in the spirit of 'Tunisian bad luck', it started off really badly!

I will summarize the key points first and then tell my story in case you get bored :)
1. When travelling from N.America, be very very clear in telling the family that you arrive a day later. In fact, dont tell them the day you leave just tell them the day you arrive. That might prevent trips to the airport a day early.
2. When booking flights on separate tickets, and one of them is a code share, check with the carrier operating the flight, if luggage is transferable on all legs of the journey to the end destination.

Ok, point 1 is really the fault of hubby's dad, the light was not on when that piece of info was fed. I heard him say sooo many times he arrives on the 16th :) Point 2, well I guess we take it for granted with our world passports because we dont have such struggles if suddenly things change.

Hubby was using his return flight, a year to the date he has returned home. When he left Tunisia, he flew Air Tunis to Frankfurt, Lufthansa Frankfurt to Vancouver. Frankfurt airport is one of the few 'transit without visa' airports if the traveller has a visa for another country. When we left Tunisia our luggage was checked in all the way through.

This morning at the airport, Air Canada was the code share partner for Lufthansa, and they apparently dont have a baggage agreement with Tunis Air, so they could not check the luggage in all the way through. He would have to go through security and check it in again. Well that could not happen as he's got no visa. Hence he was 'unchecked -in' and we had to figure another plan out.

Our only option was to book a flight from FRA on Lufthansa so that his bags could be checked in all the way through. $800 later!

I had no reason to doubt this would be a problem based on my experience last year, but even when the schedule changed last year and they Lufthansa called me about the change, i asked them again about the baggage...no problem then. This morning when I called Lufthansa to sort it out, they told me again that Air Canada does have an agreement with Lufthansa....sigh! No they dont!

I have of course written and complained to Lufthansa that this is unacceptable because I made flight choices based on experience wit them and the info they gave me.

So just a little advice for those who have loved ones travelling in transit.
Oh no.......so you had to fork out another $800? What a nightmare start to his journey. Has he arrived yet now? It's a wind up when you've spent so much time working out the itinerary based on information you've had confirmed for it not to be correct!!!!

Hope his trip goes well now though...

missmetal

Oh no.......so you had to fork out another $800? What a nightmare start to his journey. Has he arrived yet now? It's a wind up when you've spent so much time working out the itinerary based on information you've had confirmed for it not to be correct!!!!

Hope his trip goes well now though...
Cheers mate. He's made to Frankfurt and about to board next leg. All gone well now apart from some disappointing food options.

Domestics flights don't offer free meals its a paid service...despite you having had a reservation to a connecting flight. However Canada is biiiig. 4.5hrs from west to east. He had some protein bars with him that kept him going.

The long Hal flight barely touched his stomach walls...guess I've been feeding him too much. Lol!

Essem

Staff member
Hi MM

Really useful information you posted and without question, it'll come in handy for some of the other members.

Hopefully, you'll be reimbursed for the extra flight you've had to book as you've been given incorrect information.

Every day is a school day :rolleyes:

Jane BM

Cheers mate. He's made to Frankfurt and about to board next leg. All gone well now apart from some disappointing food options.

Domestics flights don't offer free meals its a paid service...despite you having had a reservation to a connecting flight. However Canada is biiiig. 4.5hrs from west to east. He had some protein bars with him that kept him going.

The long Hal flight barely touched his stomach walls...guess I've been feeding him too much. Lol!
Least the long flight is done now....just a short hop over...am sure they'll feed him up as soon as he gets there....assuming they've got the right date now...lol.

Trulymadlydeeply

OMG a hungry Tunisian on the loose ;) I would email Lufthansa so that you get it in writing and would then be asking for a full refund of added flight!!! :)

missmetal

OMG a hungry Tunisian on the loose ;) I would email Lufthansa so that you getbitnin writing and would then be asking for a full refund of added flight!!! :)
Oh ya done that! Moaned like hell.
He arrived though and is home safe finally :)

J

jackjacki

they 'll feed him up as soon as he gets there................................., :happy: