Letter from Father - now needing a stamp!!!

benali123

Hello everyone. I am back from Tunisia (Wednesday) and had a lovely week. For those of you who dont know: my 2 little boys went to Tunisia with their daddy in January and daddy left them there with his family because my daughter was having spinal surgery and she needed to recover. She had a very good recovery and I went to Tunisia last week and had a week there before coming home on Wednesday.

Right, I know that I needed a letter from "Daddy" to bring the boys home and I did indeed have the letter. NO, THE LETTER NOW NEEDS A STAMP from an official (forgot the word, will let you know later.. something like Beldevere???). So I was stopped. What a carry on I had. I told him he could phone my husband. After waiting ages, "one moment madam", he then said, "you phone your husband on YOUR mobile". I didnt have a mobile and he was quite suprised at that. (Took my mobile once, got a mega massive bill of £250, so NEVER take it now). He asked if there was any family waiting. I told him my friend had driven me to the airport and that she had now gone. He said "You have Tunisian Dinar in your purse - you go to the taxiphone and phone your husband". I didnt have any dinar cos YOU CANNOT TAKE IT OUT OF THE COUNTRY. He said "You have English money - go to the bank upstairs and change it for dinar and then goo to the taxiphone and phone your husband". What for, I said. I phone my husband to do what???

He really wasnt very helpful. You phone my husband please.

He said this letter needed a stamp - I KNOW YOU HAVE ALREADY SAID. i have never had a letter stamped before and never had any problems, so I didnt know. all this at 12.30 and my plane was leaving at 12.55.

I started to weep now. He could clearly see me getting upset. "Madam these are Tunisian Children and we do not let them out of the country without their fathers consent. Your childrent didnt come in with you last week". i explained about my daughter.

I said I knew all that and I did have my letter but didnt know i needed it stamped. You could see he was starting to sympathise, but still wasnt letting me through.

he called for his "Chief" and he then explained "this letter needs a stamp".

Oh my god! I know all that NOW!!!!!

I turned round and there was my husbands friend being greeted by all the staff there. This friend worked at Monastir Airport and now worked at Manchester Airport. My life was saved. He verified who I was and they allowed me through.

SO LADIES, YOU NOW NEED YOUR LETTER STAMPING BY AN OFFICIAL - WILL GET THE PROPER NAME ADDED LATER, AT WORK NOW!!!

Regards to all, Claire xx

bobby g

Hi Benali, Forgive my ignorance in this matter and I ask out of curiosity, but I don't understand the reason children are'nt allowed to leave Tunisia without the fathers consent even if they are travelling with their mother. Is this different if the mother is Tunisian?
This must have been very upsetting for you, what would have been the situation if you had'nt happened upon someone you know at the airport to vouch for you? miss your plane or leave your children...no choice there.
Glad it all worked out in the end.:)
I don't have a Tunisian husband but cannot imagine not being able to travel freely with my children.

benali123

Hi bobby g

You must have the fathers permission to take the children out of Tunisia whether the mother is British or Tunisian. I knew that. And I have had letters before, but dont know when the need for this "stamp" came into force???

Nor could I understand whey THEY couldnt phone my husband for verification??

Claire xx

Tunisianbelle

SO LADIES, YOU NOW NEED YOUR LETTER STAMPING BY AN OFFICIAL - WILL GET THE PROPER NAME ADDED LATER, AT WORK NOW!!!
It has always been this way - at least as long as I have been living in Tunisia (since 2001). Getting your letter stamped by the beledya is what makes the letter a legally binding and officially notarized document.

Tunisianbelle

Is this different if the mother is Tunisian?
Yes it is. If the mother is Tunisian a note is not necessary as her family is most likely located in Tunisia and that is where she will return. A foreign wife/mother has her family located outside of the country and could easily kidnap the children, therefore permission is needed from the father to help decrease the risk of her taking the children away from him forever.

benali123

Flippin 'eck. I have NEVER needed it stamped before nor any of my friends. How can we have all missed this. Strange eh!!!!

Thanks for the spelling, but could you explain the meaning too. Does it mean Solicitor? Couldnt quite grasp who he meant? Thanks, Claire xx

Tunisianbelle

Nor could I understand whey THEY couldnt phone my husband for verification??
They need to have a legal signature. What they did for you was a favor - you are lucky. They do that for us as well as my husband usually just goes with us through passport control and signs a release there (he has to show them his ID).

Tunisianbelle

Thanks for the spelling, but could you explain the meaning too. Does it mean Solicitor? Couldnt quite grasp who he meant? Thanks, Claire xx
The beledya is the municipality/court.

Delstar

what if the children were not born in tunisia and dont have a tunisian passport? would this rule still apply, or will all the ladies here have this problem each time they travel to and out the country without their partners...

Tunisianbelle

My eldest wasn't born in Tunisia but still needed a note. If the child has an Arabic last name, they will automatically assume the father is Tunisian and will ask for the paper.

benali123

Thank you for explaining the Beledya. I know I was lucky!

Both my children were born in the UK. Even when they had only British passports, I was always asked for my letter of permission from their father. If they have an arabic father, dont take the chance of leaving without this letter. Much regards, Claire xx

bobby g

Well thanks for your answers ladies. I now have a clearer idea about the "rules", but as for the need for them....I'm still unsure.

Trulymadlydeeply

Yes it is. If the mother is Tunisian a note is not necessary as her family is most likely located in Tunisia and that is where she will return. A foreign wife/mother has her family located outside of the country and could easily kidnap the children, therefore permission is needed from the father to help decrease the risk of her taking the children away from him forever.

But its ok if the Tunisian father wants to keep the children there!!!!??? If the mother was trying to leave without his permission I would say 99% of the time it would be for a good reason :mad: :mad:

Cathibou

Sorry you had this problem Claire but ..... there is loads already written about this on the site and In my expeience going back to 1997 I have always had to have a letter signed by beledere or soicitor if resident in the uk when travelling on my own with my children, especially if you leave via Tunis, you may be lucky from Monastir with all the tourists travelling through but to be honest it isn't worth the hassel to try to avoid getting it. It may seem unfair, it may seem discrimatory but thats how it is.

Trulymadlydeeply

I wish they would do the same to foreign men leaving Britain with children, without their mother!!!!!

Cathibou

They do in america I believe

Trulymadlydeeply

Hi Claire, hope you had a good stay in Tunisia until the nightmare at the airport!!! How is your daughter, I hope she is going from strength to strength. A quick question, if for example I was to visit Tunisia with my son, and his father (Tunisian) was here in the Uk, what would the procedure be then??

bobby g

So just wondering, what rights do mothers of Tunisian children have, if they are not Tunisian themselves?:confused:

Trulymadlydeeply

Not many out there I'm afraid, if any at all:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: