Male circumcision

Rainbowchild

I see on another thread some people shocked to discover the existance of FGM and I was wondering what peoples views were on male circumcision?

Wikipedia shows statistics for circumcised UK males up to 20%
Wikipedia shows statistics for Tunisian males between 80 - 100%

File:Global Map of Male Circumcision Prevalence at Country Level.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you think? Is it a choice or an obligation? Should it be performed on children or should men decide for themselves as adults?

janette b

personally i think all men should be done when they are very young, much healthier all round. I know all muslim and jewish males are circumcised because of faith but think it stops lots of problems later on. I do however think it should be done by doctors and not someone coming to the house who thinks they know what they are doing .

Black Mamba

Hum, tough subject I think.

It doesn't seem as dangerous/barbaric as the female circumcision to me, males don't suffer throughout their lives and are not in danger of that( being done in a clinic and such).

More and more people do it, apart from Muslim and Jews, more Christians are doing it.

Mezoo

VIP Member
healthy-don't remember a thing

that is why it should be done at birth :cool:

Essem

Staff member
We are made the way we are for a reason.

If it ain't broke!

Sana

Hi

all muslim men do it because it's a matter of religion , a man is not considered muslim until he is circumcised . it doesn't hurt at all , they do it at a very young age , sometimes at birth .

for example , if a muslim woman wants to marry a christian man , it's obligatory for him to do in a clinic or hospital in order to allow him get married to her .

Hi,

My hubby was 5yrs old when the deed was done and he still remembers it till this day lol

Helen x x

janette b

my hubby was about 2 looking at pics of the deed done in family home..... should be hospitals and babies... much better and safer less chance of infections.

my hubby was about 2 looking at pics of the deed done in family home..... should be hospitals and babies... much better and safer less chance of infections.
Hi,

I agree better to be in a hospital.

Helen x x

as long as someone 's religion say it ,it is an obligation.,not a choice.i am christian orthodox and we don't do circumcision to our boys except for health reasons.always in hospital.i have no problem with that cause as black mamba says boys don't suffer all their lives after circumcision .of course i'm not a boy and someone would say that i speak from safety point(right!!!;-)

sianperkins89

i dont think it is a problem at all....its a religious requirement it is more healthy and it isn't painful or cruel like female circumcision! it isn't a bad thing at all and the reason it is higher in tunisia than england is because of the religion.
and you cant wait until later in life for a man to decide if he wants it done coz im sure he will say noooo coz it will be soooo painful lol
its for health reasons, and you dont need it and it doesnt affect your life or sexual life if you dont have a foreskin! so i dont see the problem to do it to babies even for comestic reasons because it wont disadvantage them in later life

I think that its a good Idea, cleaner as well.

I have also heard that 80% of American men/boys get it done, but not all for religious reasons.

I dont have a problem with it, being done at the home or hospital, think of how many boys/men have had it done at home, its not just a bloke off the street with a knife :-s (well i hope not!), everything is sterilised and done properly! Its the after care which is most important!

My hubby didnt have it done right so they had to do it twice when he was around 3yrs old!

There is a difference of opinion amongst the Islamic schools of law if it's an obligation or not. If you take a look at the Islamic sources: it is not mentioned anywhere in the Quraan. It is advised by the Prophet as can be read in the traditions/narrations. In Tunisia they follow traditionally the Maliki law school of Sunni Islam. A law school might differ in some minor issues and the Maliki school regards circumcision for men as Sunnah mu'akkadah, a stressed tradition and example of the Prophet (and earlier prophets like Abraham) and recommended, but not an individual religious obligation. As does the Hanafi school of law as well (traditionally followed in Syria, Turkey, Pakistan/India/Bangladesh.

It has however become normal and in all Islamic countries, it is the custom and a big cultural festival as well. People save money for the moment their son will be circumcised and invite many guests, serve them proudly etc. But a convert can perfectly be Muslim without being circumcised at a later age. If they do not want to they often do hold up this tradition when they have a son - because it's less painful at a young age. I personally think it's also cleaner.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=3&ID=13339&CATE=389

as long as someone 's religion say it ,it is an obligation.,not a choice.i am christian orthodox and we don't do circumcision to our boys except for health reasons.always in hospital.i have no problem with that cause as black mamba says boys don't suffer all their lives after circumcision .of course i'm not a boy and someone would say that i speak from safety point(right!!!;-)
how you can be sure did you talk to men ?

There is a difference of opinion amongst the Islamic schools of law if it's an obligation or not. If you take a look at the Islamic sources: it is not mentioned anywhere in the Quraan. It is advised by the Prophet as can be read in the traditions/narrations. In Tunisia they follow traditionally the Maliki law school of Sunni Islam. A law school might differ in some minor issues and the Maliki school regards circumcision for men as Sunnah mu'akkadah, a stressed tradition and example of the Prophet (and earlier prophets like Abraham) and recommended, but not an individual religious obligation. As does the Hanafi school of law as well (traditionally followed in Syria, Turkey, Pakistan/India/Bangladesh.

It has however become normal and in all Islamic countries, it is the custom and a big cultural festival as well. People save money for the moment their son will be circumcised and invite many guests, serve them proudly etc. But a convert can perfectly be Muslim without being circumcised at a later age. If they do not want to they often do hold up this tradition when they have a son - because it's less painful at a young age. I personally think it's also cleaner.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=3&ID=13339&CATE=389
it's not an obligation since it's not in the Quran it's in the hadith so it's a sunna, if muslims choose to not circumcise they can that wont affect where they go or what happens to them.

i dont think it is a problem at all....its a religious requirement it is more healthy and it isn't painful or cruel like female circumcision! it isn't a bad thing at all and the reason it is higher in tunisia than england is because of the religion.
and you cant wait until later in life for a man to decide if he wants it done coz im sure he will say noooo coz it will be soooo painful lol
its for health reasons, and you dont need it and it doesnt affect your life or sexual life if you dont have a foreskin! so i dont see the problem to do it to babies even for comestic reasons because it wont disadvantage them in later life
let's cut your hand cause it got dirty and say it's more hygienic, seriously if it's dirty just wash it.