Marrying a Tunisian

A

Arsalan

Hello all!

I have been going through a lot of troubling understanding laws and regulations and all just seems to confuse my mind more.

I have a girlfriend living in Tunisia, and she is a minor orphan. We both love each other dearly and I wish to marry her and bring her to Pakistan. I need to know the procedures that I need to go through for this.

Anyone?

Arsalan!

Jane BM

Hello all!

I have been going through a lot of troubling understanding laws and regulations and all just seems to confuse my mind more.

I have a girlfriend living in Tunisia, and she is a minor orphan. We both love each other dearly and I wish to marry her and bring her to Pakistan. I need to know the procedures that I need to go through for this.

Anyone?

Arsalan!
Hi Arsalan and welcome to the forum.

How old is your girlfriend in Tunisia? As you say she is a minor orphan in Tunisia? Who does she currently live with then?

If you contact your own Embassy in Tunisia then they should let you know what the regulations are as far as taking her to your own country, Pakistan as obviously each country has different regulations. Would be worth you contacting the Tunisian embassy as well regarding marrying her.

Best of luck.

Essem

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Arsalan

Where did you meeet yur girlfriend? Have you visited Tunisia?

What age is your gf?

ROULLA

Hello all!

Anyone?

Arsalan!
Hi Arsalan and welcome to the forum! Arsalan when you say that she is a minor I pressume that you mean that she is under 18 years old but what I don't understand is when you say that she is an orphan, do you mean that she has no parents ?

Trulymadlydeeply

What is the legal age for marriage in Tunisia? Also who would act as her witnesses?

ROULLA

What is the legal age for marriage in Tunisia? Also who would act as her witnesses?
Hi Truly mou hope that you and your family are all well! From what I can see it seems that a man younger than 20 or a woman under 17 is not allowed to get married but don't quote me on this as I am not 100% sure

A

Arsalan

She is 17 and I am 22. Yes her parents died, and she has her brothers n sisters she live with. I dont guess that a girl under 17 or 17 or a man my age are not allowed to marry :/ thats the first time I heard that....she lives in tunisia...is 17 and has no parents....and her sisters n bro know about me too....been 2 years i know her n her family...so....whats it gonna be........................

Jane BM

She is 17 and I am 22. Yes her parents died, and she has her brothers n sisters she live with. I dont guess that a girl under 17 or 17 or a man my age are not allowed to marry :/ thats the first time I heard that....she lives in tunisia...is 17 and has no parents....and her sisters n bro know about me too....been 2 years i know her n her family...so....whats it gonna be........................
Arsalan make a phone call to the Tunisian embassy they'll tell you how old she has to be before she can marry. Have you been to Tunisia Arsalan? Does your girlfriend work there? Or is she still in education. I'm just wondering who is supporting her with her parents sadly no longer alive.

Olfa Ayedi

Hello my dear friends, I need your help.
I'm getting married in august to my wonderful tunisian boyfriend/partner.
I know i need CONI from the uk, to be translated at the british embassy in tunis.
my divorce papers,, full birth certificate to be translated in tunisia.
passport sized photo's. passport. medical certificate form a tunisian doctor...

THIS IS WHERE IM CONFUSED :(
I have seen on www.gov.uk website about getting married in tunisia, that the CONI needs to be legalised by the f.c.o ??

AND IT ALSO SAYS,
"the names on all doucements you provide must appear exactly as they do on your passport, IF not the authorities may refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead.
you may need to provide evidence if the name on your passport is different to your birth certificate (eg marriage certificate or deed poll)"

My birth certificate is in my maiden name of taylor BUT my passport is in my married of weir.
I divorced my first husband & i have my divorce papers.
SO does this mean that with birth certificate & passport having 2 different surnames, I CAN'T GET MARRIED IN TUNISIA IN AUGUST ??? I'M SO CONFUSED :( THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. Love & hugs

smiley_jo

Hi Olfa,

I am going to stick my neck out here but I think it will be ok so long as you have your divorce papers showing both your names on it and you have been divorced for long enough. I think it is more common that divorced people are marrying there so I don't think you will have a problem. The girls will come on later and they will verify whether I am right or wrong but I think it will be ok.

Try not to worry, I am sure you will have you BIG wedding over there in August :)

Smiley xxx

Jane BM

I know i need CONI from the uk, to be translated at the british embassy in tunis.

I have seen on www.gov.uk website about getting married in tunisia, that the CONI needs to be legalised by the f.c.o ??

AND IT ALSO SAYS,
"the names on all doucements you provide must appear exactly as they do on your passport, IF not the authorities may refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead.
you may need to provide evidence if the name on your passport is different to your birth certificate (eg marriage certificate or deed poll)"

My birth certificate is in my maiden name of taylor BUT my passport is in my married of weir.
SO does this mean that with birth certificate & passport having 2 different surnames, I CAN'T GET MARRIED IN TUNISIA IN AUGUST ??? I'M SO CONFUSED :( THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. Love & hugs
No need to be confused.

Firstly as far as your CONI being legalised, this happens when you take it into the British Embassy in Tunis to be translated.

As far as your different names, I had exactly the same thing, well in fact I'd had 3 previous names, lol...my maiden name on my BC and then I'd been married twice since, my passport was (and still is) in my previous married name. It's not an issue, your decree absolute will have your maiden name on, so it's quite easy for them to tie it all up together!!

Enjoy your wedding...

Olfa Ayedi

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. Love & Hugs :)
ON my Decree Absolute it has NOT got my maiden name on there.
so am i going to have to go to the court where i got divorced & get them to write some sort of official letter regarding my surname's ??

Jane BM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. Love & Hugs :)
ON my Decree Absolute it has NOT got my maiden name on there.
so am i going to have to go to the court where i got divorced & get them to write some sort of official letter regarding my surname's ??
Have you got your old marriage certificate? Because that would then tie up your maiden name with your married name...if you have then get it authenticated. That should be enough for them....as well as your CONI..

maynardlynne

AND IT ALSO SAYS,

you also need to take your absolute with you and have it translated, but dont have it translated at embassy, its to expensive.

Olfa Ayedi

Thank you so much for all of your help :)
I have now got a copy of my first marriage certificate.
ONE LAST QUESTION, I know i need a medical certificate & blood test BUT can my own doctor in england to it for me OR does it have to be a tunisian doctor, please help

KB72

Usually that all come before the marriage so I don't know. In Tunisia it is very straight forward, common practice and fast, however you get the back hander and they just give you the papers. That is what we did. I didn't want no Tunisian doctor jabbing me, the English have a hard enough time as it is.

Jane BM

Thank you so much for all of your help :)
I have now got a copy of my first marriage certificate.
ONE LAST QUESTION, I know i need a medical certificate & blood test BUT can my own doctor in england to it for me OR does it have to be a tunisian doctor, please help
I'd imagine if you were having to have it done in the UK that firstly you'd need to find out exactly what they tested for....it would also be a lot more costly. Don't know if they'd accept it or not, you'd need to contact the notaire/municipality where you're marrying.

It really isn't a big deal having it done over there...doesn't cost very much at all. We both went together and had it done a couple of days before our wedding, then picked up our medical certificate the day free to produce to the notaire with the rest of the paperwork.

Olfa Ayedi

Thank you Jane for all of your help :)
What is Notaire/Municipality ??
Me & my Partner are getting married at his parent's house in tunisia, it is a muslim wedding,
there will be a Imam & Sheikh doing the wedding ceremony.
Take Care. Love & Hugs :)

Jane BM

Thank you Jane for all of your help :)
What is Notaire/Municipality ??
Me & my Partner are getting married at his parent's house in tunisia, it is a muslim wedding,
there will be a Imam & Sheikh doing the wedding ceremony.
Take Care. Love & Hugs :)
Whoever will be issuing you with your wedding certificate. The person who you'll be giving all your paperwork to..ie, doing the legalities. The marriage still has to be registered at the local municipality regardless of the type of ceremony.

i know i need a coni to get married in tunisia, but can anyone tell me if my tunisian partner needs one too? im so confused now?