marrying in tunisia

carol2013

Congratulations on your up-coming marriage. I live in Canada and getting married in Tunisia Here is the information you need...

Your B.C. needs to be the long form, has to be a new one. Can take up to 5 weeks to get, depending on which province you live in. Mine is from BC, takes 2-5 days to process then time of mailing. When you get there, depending on who marries you, explain to them how impossible it is to get a B.C. mailed to you within that 21 days, especially when your coming from so far away.

Your coni can be done 3 months ahead. It's Free and you have to send in your B.C, divorce paper and can request it in french. Info on Coni and all that you need is on the link. I believe (confirm this and then please let me know) that you can fax it to Tunis Embassy before leaving for that required time slot and then go pick it up when you arrive in Tunisia. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/tunisia-tunisie/consular_services_consulaires/marriage-mariage.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

This is all the paper work you'll need if your applying for him to come to Canada. In total it will cost $1040/Canadian. Your applying for "First Class" sponsorship. Takes up to 10 months for an answer and application has to be mailed in Canada, then goes to Paris. The number for Canadian Immigration to ask more questions is 1-888-242-2100 push 1,1,1,0 to get to the operator
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Good Luck and Best of wishes
ok, so now I'm worried what if my BC hasn't arrived in the mail by the time I have to leave, can my family fax it and mail express post to my dude asap? :eek: the BC is what gets to me, why can't they allow it to be 30 days old? :p thanks for that info, much appreciate it.

Jane BM

ok, so now I'm worried what if my BC hasn't arrived in the mail by the time I have to leave, can my family fax it and mail express post to my dude asap? :eek: the BC is what gets to me, why can't they allow it to be 30 days old? :p thanks for that info, much appreciate it.
Perhaps you could get your boyfriend to speak to someone in the Municipality where you're going to get married, explain the situation...it does need to be the original though, not a copy...or get someone to post it in to you over there once you've gone..but then you run the risk of it not arriving!!!

carol2013

For the coni you also need to send in a declaration which is notarized letter of you being single, with name, address, citizen of your fiance.

Mail to ... Foreign Affairs & International Trade 125 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, ONT K1A 0G2
so I would have to write this letter, wow I wouldn't even know how to start it :(

carol2013

Perhaps you could get your boyfriend to speak to someone in the Municipality where you're going to get married, explain the situation...it does need to be the original though, not a copy...or get someone to post it in to you over there once you've gone..but then you run the risk of it not arriving!!!
thank you, now just going to wait for him to get off work and then bug the hell out of him to do this on his end :p

Jane BM

thank you, now just going to wait for him to get off work and then bug the hell out of him to do this on his end :p
Good luck with that one!!!! Lol

Jane BM

Strange, we got one of those books too. Wonder if its a regional thing
Or maybe they took one look at me and thought 'well she ain't having any more kids...'...lol

missmetal

Hi Carol,

I have a long and complicated history, my BC was from South Africa and it took 5months to get it and then sent over to Canada. It was stamped Nov 2010 and I got married Feb 2011. I live in Canada, which I could prove too and had to explain that whole malarky to them. One registrar in Tunisia said 3months for the BC is ok, and others said 21days. Hubby did the explaining and it was all ok. Its best that your fiance goes to the registrars office and asks them directly. We got married in Sousse and had no problems. They are just used to the Europeans being able to meet that requirement but I dont believe its the law if some offices are flexible. In England and in Tunisia, you can go get your BC in like a day or two. So its really easy over there to get, and you do have to explain your circumstances.

If I were you, I would trying get the wedding done within the first week and a half you're there...I know it sounds unromantic, but before the wedding you need to collect your CONI from the CA embassy in Tunis and that can take a day or two, after the wedding you need to go get the wedding certificate which could be a day or two and then there's a whole lotta stamps you need from the registrar, the provincial office (governorate) and the foreign ministry in Tunis. Once that is done then you can relax :) and feel good that you have all you need for his sponsorship, with regards to proving the marriage is legit.

I've been through the sponsorship process as well, and I recommend taking copies of the application with you and filling those out, again unromantic but they are looooong and I think its helpful if you're there to guide him. There are other threads for that and feel free to ask me questions when you are ready for that.

best of luck and congrats on yuor upcoming wedding

Milk

missmetal, what stamps are you talking about? I spoke with my friend and he knows nothing about them

Also, where you able to fax the CONI to Tunis (do you have the fax number if you where) and then pick it up when you arrived?

Milk

What are the stamps called, the name of the buildings that you have to get them at and address if you still remember?

Milk

carol2013 that letter is just a form letter with the info that I gave to you, just add your name, address and phone number to the letter and then get it notarized.

Trulymadlydeeply

I like the way you call you're future hubby your friend sounds so old fashioned :)

Is he not sorting anything in Tunisia raindrops? Must be easier for him to get all that stuff sorted as he is there! Would save you a lot of headache.

missmetal

missmetal, what stamps are you talking about? I spoke with my friend and he knows nothing about them

Also, where you able to fax the CONI to Tunis (do you have the fax number if you where) and then pick it up when you arrived?
Hi Raindrops

Stamps - These are official governmental stamps. Registrar who marry's you stamps and signs it, then the Govenorate office (provincial office) stamps and signs the certificate, and then the foreign ministry (address is probably on here somewhere or even online) will also provide a stamp and signature. Its like the wedding cert is being made official and legal. I believe that no embassy will accept it without those 3 stamps when you are using yuor wedding cert as part of your sponsorship. This also needs to be done on any translated copies. We had Arabic and FR versions of it.

CONI - because I was working with the UK mission in Vancouver, I followed their instructions. I imagine you need to get the document from the municipality locally in canada and then they will inform you what the next step is. However my guess is that they will fax it over for you. I imagine this is so that documents cannot be falsified, but thats just my guess.

The UK mission here verified my information after advertising my intent to marry hubby, and with no contest after 21days, I returned to them with my newspaper clipping announcing my intended wedding (this is what I was instructed to do to satisfy their requirements) I dont know if its required for Canada's CONI. They then faxed the docs over to the embassy in Tunis where I picked up my translated copy.

However on a side note, I spoke to a fella in my office who recently married a Philippino women and he said he went directly to the embassy who validated he was single and gave a letter to such.

Hopefully you or Carol can provide more accurate info when you go through this process. My first step would be to approach the local office with your intention to marry.

carol2013

Hi Carol,

I have a long and complicated history, my BC was from South Africa and it took 5months to get it and then sent over to Canada. It was stamped Nov 2010 and I got married Feb 2011. I live in Canada, which I could prove too and had to explain that whole malarky to them. One registrar in Tunisia said 3months for the BC is ok, and others said 21days. Hubby did the explaining and it was all ok. Its best that your fiance goes to the registrars office and asks them directly. We got married in Sousse and had no problems. They are just used to the Europeans being able to meet that requirement but I dont believe its the law if some offices are flexible. In England and in Tunisia, you can go get your BC in like a day or two. So its really easy over there to get, and you do have to explain your circumstances.

If I were you, I would trying get the wedding done within the first week and a half you're there...I know it sounds unromantic, but before the wedding you need to collect your CONI from the CA embassy in Tunis and that can take a day or two, after the wedding you need to go get the wedding certificate which could be a day or two and then there's a whole lotta stamps you need from the registrar, the provincial office (governorate) and the foreign ministry in Tunis. Once that is done then you can relax :) and feel good that you have all you need for his sponsorship, with regards to proving the marriage is legit.

I've been through the sponsorship process as well, and I recommend taking copies of the application with you and filling those out, again unromantic but they are looooong and I think its helpful if you're there to guide him. There are other threads for that and feel free to ask me questions when you are ready for that.

best of luck and congrats on yuor upcoming wedding
Thank you for that information. I was gonna ask about the stamps, but i kept reading other posts :) so I know now. I'm in Ontario, and send my form for BC to Winnipeg Manitoba, and that depends how long it takes, but I think I'm gonna order that online (just don't know when to order it) lol ... So I can really get this CONI from CA embassy in Tunis, I mean I don't have to run around here? I feel so "uhhhh" lol oh I don't know stupid :p

Jane BM

Thank you for that information. I was gonna ask about the stamps, but i kept reading other posts :) so I know now. I'm in Ontario, and send my form for BC to Winnipeg Manitoba, and that depends how long it takes, but I think I'm gonna order that online (just don't know when to order it) lol ... So I can really get this CONI from CA embassy in Tunis, I mean I don't have to run around here? I feel so "uhhhh" lol oh I don't know stupid :p
I think what MM means re CONI is that you collect the translated version from the CA in Tunis....because once you receive that from your local registry office it then has to be taken into the CA in Tunis for them to authenticate and translate...this is what can take a day or two....unless you are planning on being in Tunisia for over 21 days prior to the wedding...

Milk

I like the way you call you're future hubby your friend sounds so old fashioned :)

Is he not sorting anything in Tunisia raindrops? Must be easier for him to get all that stuff sorted as he is there! Would save you a lot of headache.
Thanks!! I like it but he doesn't, wishes I would stop :) He wants me to call him my husband or fiance.

Yes, he's doing pretty much everything. He just has never heard about these stamps and neither has his brother who married a lady from England.

Thank you Missmetal for the info on the stamps.

They don't fax the CONI anymore. They mail it to you and you have to fax it or mail it to Tunis. Get the CONI done in French well in Canada so it won't need to be translated in Tunis as it has to be in French or Arabic. You have to request this to be done on your cover letter when applying for the CONI.